Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Bright white headlight bulbs?  (Read 3832 times)

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
Bright white headlight bulbs?
« on: November 27, 2013, 06:00:08 PM »

I installed some halo type LED bulbs into the turn signals on my 2013 SERK and they are awesome. They are very bright and extremely white. However now my stock dual halogen headlight looks extremely yellow. I am eventually going to change the headlight to the daymaker LED when I get some cash saved up. I was wondering if there are bulbs I could install into my exixting headlight for now that would be closer in color to the LED halo turn signals? I have seen PIAA, HID, and such but I know nothing about any of them. I definitely am not looking for any blue tint. I want the most extreme white I can have.

Anyone tried any of this?

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
Re: Bright white headlight bulbs?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 06:51:43 PM »

PIAA super whites don't have any blue tint. I had one on my ninja years ago, very white and bright. Lasted a long time. On the flip side I put them on my 328 and they only lasted a little over a year. I've read that it's a tradeoff, light output for longevity. They do look very nice and light up the road very well.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 07:03:23 PM »

Thanks Pete I will look into them. If I can get a year out of them hopefully I wll have the cash saved up for the LED daymaker by then.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 08:18:39 PM »

Well it looks like I will just have to wait. I went to PIAA's website and realized there was only twin packs and the bike looks like it has H11 and H8 bulbs so I would have to purchase twice the amount of bulbs that I need for almost $200.00 in price. So almost half of the cost of an LED just for the bulbs :o Looks like I will live with the stock bulbs for now.

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 09:11:13 PM »

Convert the low beam to HID. 4500k is closer to LED then anything else I've tried. No more then 6k as it starts to have a blue tint. HID kits are pretty cheap on ebay. Lottsa guys on here have done the swap and couldn't be happier. Here's a shot. Passing lites are LED.
All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 09:30:40 PM »

Well it looks like I will just have to wait. I went to PIAA's website and realized there was only twin packs and the bike looks like it has H11 and H8 bulbs so I would have to purchase twice the amount of bulbs that I need for almost $200.00 in price. So almost half of the cost of an LED just for the bulbs :o Looks like I will live with the stock bulbs for now.

Get a part number from their site, then look up on ebay. You can usually find them for almost half off list

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 10:00:17 PM »

Has anyone done an HID conversion on a CVO road king and if you did where to you install the ballast? I am wondering if it will fit behind the headlamp in the Nacelle?

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 10:37:29 PM »

Well i have been doing more research and learned that the sylvania silverstar ultra H11 bulbs are 4100k in brightness. I can pick up a pair of these on EBay for $30.00. I will replace the low beam and have a spare. These two bulbs should be a lot closer to my turn signal leds in brightness/color and should last long enough to save up for the LED daymaker. The hid conversion is intriguing but this way I don't have to worry about mounting the ballast :bananarock:

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 11:18:32 PM »

I've used silverstars as well on my car. Very bright, not as white and they didn't last very long at all. But if you're gonna go to LED in a year, a pair should hold you over. Hopefully there'll be a better LED option by then that doesn't stick out so much from the bucket. I'm waiting for something like that myself.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 08:27:01 AM »

Check out Candlepower Inc.  They've got a ton of different bulbs at good prices. 

Don't bother with HID kits.
The best you've had is the best you know.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 09:46:23 AM »

Thanks for the info 05train, it was really useful.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 02:48:37 PM »

Ok now that I have decided to use the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's in the interim it is time to decide which LED headlight I want. I have been trying to find some real world comparison between the Daymaker and the Daymaker reflective without much luck. I did find these links with info an comparison's between the trucklite phase 7 ( which looks just like the daymaker reflective to me) and the JW Speaker 8700 (which looks just like the original daymaker to me. Based on this info I am leaning toward the original daymaker which I can purchase for $420.00 from Kutterharleyonline.

http://betterautomotivelighting.com/2013/02/17/truck-lite-versus-jw-speaker-a-comparison-of-led-headlights/?relatedposts_exclude=684
http://betterautomotivelighting.com/2013/06/04/harley-davidson-led-headlights-made-by-jw-speaker-in-the-usa/

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 08:17:41 PM »

This is a picture of the stock headlight bulb compared to the new turn/signal LED bulb. Can you say YELLOW?

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 08:20:34 PM »

This is a picture of the Sylvania silverstar ultra headlight bulb compared to the new turn/signal LED bulb. Still not quite as white but I can live with it for now until I purchase an LED headlight later next year.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 08:31:34 PM »

I am trying to put a little video file on here to show yall what the new signal/running bulb does but the extension is a .mov so I put it in a zip file . I hope it works.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.