Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Focal speakers from Soundz Customz  (Read 8311 times)

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
Focal speakers from Soundz Customz
« on: October 23, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »

I am looking into geeting Pete from Soundz Customz to upgrade the sound system on my 2013 SERK. He uses Focal speakers and Arc Amps. If anyone on here is listeneing and had these systems installed I was wondering how they hold up to getting wet from being ridden in the rain or washing the bike? Also the SERK has saddlebag speakers so I was wondering about leaks into the bags after messing with the bag speakers? Thanks in advance for any and all input.

MHAMMER396

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

Re: Focal speakers from Soundz Customz
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 12:54:38 AM »

i have the same concern since the dealer cant seem to fix my stereo. mine is 13 cvo rg. hope someone chimes in

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 01:01:50 AM »

Pete is a legend around here. There are quite a few guys with Petes gear installed.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 07:57:22 AM »

there are a bumch of threads on Pete and the Focal's.  I had them installed on my 12 SESG and I was very happy with sound.  Loud and clear.  Pete is an awesome guy to deal with and always took the time to help me with the install.  I would not hesitate to do business with Pete again. 

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 08:37:29 AM »

there are a bumch of threads on Pete and the Focal's.  I had them installed on my 12 SESG and I was very happy with sound.  Loud and clear.  Pete is an awesome guy to deal with and always took the time to help me with the install.  I would not hesitate to do business with Pete again.

How did the focal install compare with the tunes on your '15?

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 08:56:53 AM »

CVOSTU chimed in to answer a PM I sent him. He told me that while the FOCAL speakers in the saddlebags sounded awesome but they leaked water. He changed them to the Hybrid Audio brand and they do not leak. Stuart also told me that Pete would try to talk me into the Focal speakers instead of the Hybrids and sure enough he is. Pete claims that the Focal speakers sound much better than the Hybrids and that whatever speaker I go with they ALL eventually will leak water into the bags, including the stock speakers. I know that my stock speakers have leaked a little water into the bags but it has been minimal. Pete suggested using some type of waterproof liner or garbage bags to put valuables in and drilling a very small hole in the bottom of the bags to let water out.
Decisions decisions!! He said he will have both the Focals and the Hybrids there for me to listen to before I make a final decision. If the Focals sound WAAAYYY beter than the Hybrids I will probably go with the Focals and take waterproofing measures like Pete suggested. But if the Hybrids sound almost as good as the Focals I will go with the Hybrids because according to CVOSTU his Hybrids have not leaked water into his bags. The speakers going into the front lower fairings will be Focals.

I asked Pete how this upgrade compared to the new 2015 Harley sound system and he said that even the cheapest stuff he sells beats the harley sound. He said he owns a 2015 Harley and has already upgraded his.

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 09:09:02 AM »

Pete claims that.....whatever speaker I go with they ALL eventually will leak water into the bags, including the stock speakers.

Not telling tales out of school here but that has not been my experience.  After lots of washing and lots of long rides in the rain (500 plus mile days....twice), no leaks from the stock speakers.  However, while I'm satisfied with the stock sound, ANY improvement in the speakers, amp (and location of the amp....that one in the left saddleback was a poor idea IMO) and head unit would give you better sound than the stock equipment.  Good luck with whatever speaker route you go....

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 09:10:40 AM »

FWIW I wouldn't listen to CVOSTU, that guy is off his rocker!  :P  :coolblue:

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 11:19:51 AM »

Not telling tales out of school here but that has not been my experience.  After lots of washing and lots of long rides in the rain (500 plus mile days....twice), no leaks from the stock speakers.  However, while I'm satisfied with the stock sound, ANY improvement in the speakers, amp (and location of the amp....that one in the left saddleback was a poor idea IMO) and head unit would give you better sound than the stock equipment.  Good luck with whatever speaker route you go....

My stock saddlebag speakers have never leaked a drop in the bags, either.

That said, the sound could be improved massively with HATs in the bags and big Focals in the fairing and lowers, and an ARC or BT amp. I haven't heard the BT amp, but I heard a Soundz guy demo the ARC/Focals at Thunder Beach a few weekends ago, and they are LOUD. I mean, REALLY loud! The stock Boom! Audio stuff sounded like the little handheld transistor radio I had as a kid next to the ARC/Focal setup.

I asked the guy what that setup would cost for my '12 SESG, and he said about $2200. They are expensive!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 11:41:52 AM »

It is going to cost me about 1350.00 but that is because on the Road King I only have 4 speakers and 1 amp.

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 01:03:43 PM »

How did the focal install compare with the tunes on your '15?

well, i would say that the Focal's with the ARC amp was alot louder for sure.  But it was also clearer with good highs and very good lows.  The separation of the music was also much better.  I do like the stock set up in the 15, but it doesn't really compare to the Focal setup. I am on the fence as to what to do as it comes to changing things out.  I wish that I can keep the amps and just change the speakers, but I don't think that that is an option.

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 08:19:29 AM »

I  had Pete's set up on my 2011 cvo street glide,washe the bike every time I ride,for almost 3 years with the focals plus rains a lot in Florida,never had any issues with the focals.Just got the 2015 cvo street glide ,Focals  at 80mph plus sound better and clearer all around  ,the new  set up on the 2015 stock stereo has more bass than the focals

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 08:25:27 AM »

I  had Pete's set up on my 2011 cvo street glide,washe the bike every time I ride,for almost 3 years with the focals plus rains a lot in Florida,never had any issues with the focals.Just got the 2015 cvo street glide ,Focals  at 80mph plus sound better and clearer all around  ,the new  set up on the 2015 stock stereo has more bass than the focals

On your 2011 Street glide, did you have the Focals installed in the saddlebags?

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 08:10:57 AM »

Noi I did not,I do not like the looks of speaker on the lids of the saddle bags and hate the 2015 plugs for the speakers and the brake light and turn signals,after putting a helmet and purse in one side and a helmet and  rain gear in the other side no room for anything else,lol also I've noticed while riding I cant hear the rear speakers ,but while siting   and pissing off the people in the parking lot ,different story.In my honest opinion this stereo is twice as load  and 4 times more bass than my focal set up,but only having 2 speakers in front vs 4 focals in front running 70mph plus the focals are clearer for sure,Hopefully wont have the amp tweeter problems  that the 2011 did that made me buy Pete's set up in the first place,If I have problems like I did with the old boom audio ,I'll be seeing Pete.Next week I'm buying two 2012 cvo's from this site and will be putting focals front and back ,The cleanest sounding speakers period as they are advertised ,with maybe a sub for bass. 

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 08:35:17 AM »

I am very happy with the Hybrids in the bags.  I think they sound great and it rains alot here in South Florida in the summer.   If you are going out for a day ride, count on getting  wet at some point. I'm not one to carry anything valuable in a plastic bag or wanting to drill weep holes either.   The Hybrids don't leak at all. And I've been some heavy rain at times.  At 75 mph do you think some speakers will sound a whole lot better than otheres? Maybe a little.  And they are pointing straight up as well.   The focals up front are a great way to go.  Pete is a great guy to work with.  He has his opinions because he is the expert.  He isn't a big fan of the 06-13 he radios either.  But he does like the new hk radios that are coming in the new bikes. I saw him doing an install on a 15 rg last week..  The install looked great.   I'm very happy with what he has done for me.    Stuart.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.