Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Michelins for 2008!  (Read 10163 times)

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Michelins for 2008!
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 10:35:38 AM »

anyone got a link on the metz problems? kinda spooky thinking about my customers riding on them if they are dangerous. taking a break from installing a set now, will research at home tonite, but a link would certainly help.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 10:36:30 AM »

I've got between 4-5K on my Metz's and have had no issues...in fact, would not think about any other tire at this point.  Michelins have traditionally been excellent tires for cars, but I have no idea about their bike tires.  Metz tires do require more pressure, so it makes me wonder about those having problems.  Are they running the owner's manual recommended air pressure?  If so, more friction = more heat.  The Metz's like 44 psi on front and 50 on back, if loaded.  Drop 2psi if not loaded.

I used to run Michelins on my Jap street bikes in the 70's. I loved them back then, and wouldn't think twice about putting Michelin Tires on my SERK, especially a Radial! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 10:36:45 AM »

I've got between 4-5K on my Metz's and have had no issues...in fact, would not think about any other tire at this point.  Metz tires do require more pressure, so it makes me wonder about those having problems.  Are they running the owner's manual recommended air pressure?  If so, more friction = more heat.  The Metz's like 44 psi on front and 50 on back, if loaded.  Drop 2psi if not loaded.

It will be hard for me to go from the ME880's..  I think like Terry that most issues with the 880's are running the 402's tire pressures.  I run 42F and 48-50 rear.  Even at these pressures, they still ride better than the 402's..

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 11:02:39 AM »

anyone got a link on the metz problems? kinda spooky thinking about my customers riding on them if they are dangerous. taking a break from installing a set now, will research at home tonite, but a link would certainly help.

Dennis...I Googled it and can't find anything...checked a couple of other forums too with no negative results.

:nixweiss:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 12:12:49 PM »

Dennis...I Googled it and can't find anything...checked a couple of other forums too with no negative results.

:nixweiss:

thanks dude. popping in at lunch time here. i was starting to freak when i read the post. i love the metz, i can wheelie on a wet road!!! nuff said---------------but have lots of metz on customer bikes and its not the same kinda worry that goes with having them on my personal bike.

thanks again for the research, i can turn off the sirens now!!

saddlebow

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 06 SEFB
    • CVO2: 07 SEUC [gone]
    • CVO3: 15 SESG
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 11:00:10 AM »

Any official thoughts about mix and match with these?  Don't want to throw away a good front tire and don't want to go down over an extra $150.  I haven't seen anything from the mfgs the way you used to see " don't mix radials with bias ply" when radials were first in the US market in the 60's...
Bikers know why dogs stick their heads out the window....

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 11:45:44 AM »

Any official thoughts about mix and match with these?  Don't want to throw away a good front tire and don't want to go down over an extra $150.  I haven't seen anything from the mfgs the way you used to see " don't mix radials with bias ply" when radials were first in the US market in the 60's...

If your talking about radials/ bias ply, I wouldn't ever do that. Most shops and tire manufactures say not to run mixed sets of bias ply either, but at this time I have a Metz 880 on the back of my bike and the stock Dunlop on the front. 1,500 miles no problems, I've ridden grooved pavement, really tight twisties in the mountains, and high speed on the highway, not a problem. 

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2007, 04:22:59 PM »

I put the new Michelins on the SEEG at the 20,000 mile service this week.  No feedback as of yet, since the only miles were home from the dealer about 12 or 15 miles away (more comments upon my return from Hot Springs), but after having the serated Dunlops look for so long, I kinda like the smooth sidewalls.

Rear tread pattern:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2007, 04:24:18 PM »

Front sidewall:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2007, 04:25:02 PM »

Front tread pattern:

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2007, 12:03:54 PM »

I ran a mixed set of bias ad radial tires on an old pickup truck several years ago. I actually thought I was going to wreck before I could get radials all the way around. The rear tires would NOT follow the front tires at all. It was a constant battle steering. I'd never dream of doing that again on a four wheel vehicle, much less a 2 wheeler.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 10:55:42 PM »

I have been using the Michelin Commanders on my 1998 Road Glide for the past 2 years.  Super tires with good handling. I got about 9K on them and they will probably not pass the next inspection (look what I "saved" by ordering a new bike!).

What I like better about the stock Dunlops
Last a bit longer
A bit cheaper
Local dealer keeps them in stock

What I like better about the Michelin Commanders:
Handle road ripples and small obstacles better and smoother
Superior cornering traction and stability
Superior bad weather (water and ice) traction
and my favorite - if you ever break your tire free (cornering, hit sand, etc.) you can still control the bike!

I had heard about this but I did not believe it until I hit ice at 35 on a winding road and after sliding sideways on the ice I was able to control the bike without dumping it. I had another similar experience doing about 65 (way too fast) on a curve on a back road when I hit a 4 foot patch of loose gravel. I slid but never lost all traction, and better still when I hit solid pavement again it caught smoothly rather than abruptly so I did not have a high side crash. The Dunlops have traction then break free and have none, but when they catch again it's sudden and unexpected. With the Michelins the traction fades to less traction, and when they catch it's a smoother transition rather than all of a sudden.

I almost went back on my bike each time I slid it to see if I could do it again, but I managed to control myself when I thought of the possibility of a 790lb bike laying on my leg in a ditch... :'(
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2007, 09:11:17 PM »

So, has anyone tried the new Michelin's yet? :nixweiss:  I have an appointment next Wednesday to get a new rear tire for the Hot Springs trip and told them to slap one of the new 43284-07 Michelin MU85B16 blackwalls on since they have a couple in stock.  Now thinking about replacing the front one, too, with a 43303-07 MT90B16 since it is "only" another $123 + installation for it.  Although the OEM Dunlop up front only has about 4,000 miles on it, I hate the idea of a mis-matched set of tires.

Brian, my recent post at another forum:

Finally got a chance to put some initial miles (250) on the new Commanders, and I must say that after riding about 200 miles in the WV mountains and 50 solid miles of Interstate and Freeway I'm totally impressed with these new tires!  All this was 2-up, and I really pushed the tires through the mountain back roads; even scraping the kickstand/floorboards.  And the bike felt like it was on rails.  As I mentioned earlier, instead of wheel weights I installed 2 ozs. of Dyna Beads in each tire.  And this ride was butter smooth whether riding 30 mph or pushing the big rigs on I77 at 80+mph.

I realize new tires aways feel/handle so much better, but these Commanders have initially given me great handling and smooth, positive feedback.  Dunlop claims the D402s are 3-ply polyester with 2 fiberglass belts.  These Michelins are 3-ply polyester with 2 aramid belts.  Don't know if this is contributing to the exceptional handling, but there is a difference between the two.

Someone mentioned in another thread that the Commanders have a softer sidewall.  I seriously doubt it since the tech had a tough time getting the tires to seat on the rim to take that initial blast of inflation.  Set wheels/tires out in the afternoon sun, and that seemed to give the sidewalls a bit more flexibility to take initial inflation.  Tech claimed in his experiences the Michelins usually had a slightly stiffer sidewall.

Haven't had a chance to ride in the rain yet, and of course have no idea what kind of mileage I'll get; but if your considering trying the new Michelins, by all means do so.  IMO, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

My sincere thanks to Shovelhead Bob for convincing me to try the Michelins. :dankk2:

:2vrolijk_09:
'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2007, 07:34:27 PM »

I put the new Michelins on the SEEG at the 20,000 mile service this week.  No feedback as of yet, since the only miles were home from the dealer about 12 or 15 miles away (more comments upon my return from Hot Springs), but after having the serated Dunlops look for so long, I kinda like the smooth sidewalls.

Rear tread pattern:

Did I somehow miss this post?  :nixweiss:  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2007, 08:02:24 PM »

Did I somehow miss this post?  :nixweiss:  har!  spyder

Hmmmmm.  Trying to think where I've talked about 'em, Spyder. :nixweiss:  Evidently, not in this thread, but I remember making some comments somewhere.

I'll back up what WVULTRA had to say about 'em, though.  I really like these tires and will not be going back to the Dunlops anytime soon.  There's a night and day difference in ride quality and "sticky-ness" with these versus the OEM Dunlops.  Much more compliant ride on the highway with the Michelins and much better handling, too.  Also, I have not had near the high-speed wobble with these tires as what I used to get with the Dunlops.  Who knows, it might come back with wear, but for now, it feels like a totally different bike.

I'd recommend giving them a look. :2vrolijk_21:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 24 queries.