Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Metzeler Tires  (Read 4117 times)

REGGAB

Metzeler Tires
« on: October 31, 2007, 06:57:42 AM »

Yeah, I probably misspelled it.  So, yesterday I was out traveling in the ton truck.  Coming home, I was headed north on I65.  Decided to stop at Rod's Performance in Hanceville to see if he still sells and installs Metzeler tires.  He was this past June, and lately, some of you are raving about these things and how smooth they are........no tracking in rain grooves........better wear.......anyway, Rod doesn't sell 'em anymore.  Says amongst his clientele, there have been three sidewall failures on rear tires this year.  At first I thought..OK, bad lot of tires, but then he said the same has happened elsewhere......which again prompted the bad lot of tires thought.  Any truth to this, guys?  About the sidewall failures, I mean.  Any reason why?  Are these tires not really all they've been made up to be?  Very scary thought if you ask me.  I was ready to come off my hard nosed stance of sticking with stock Dunlops, since they ain't broke...............and give these things a try............but not now.  I'll stick with Dunlops......even if the bike does get squirrely on the rain grooves.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Metzeler Tires
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 08:58:06 AM »

Henry-

A 402 Dunlop is heavier in physical weight than the same Metzeler as the Dunlop sidewall is a lot stiffer.  I have 16,000 on my front ME880 and just under 10,000 miles on my rear.  I replaced the 1st rear ME880 after 5,000 miles due to a screw between the treads and was afraid of a plug. 
That being said, I like the ME880's as they ride better, handle better, and do not track grooves in the road.  They are a softer compound tire.
The main problems with the Mezelers is that you have to run 42 in the front and 46-50 in the rear.  If you run the proper air pressure, most people don't have problems.  Pressures can be found on their website.
I like them and would use them again.  A lot of site members have been using Dunlop Elite 3's with good results.
Hope this helps, Bob

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 09:02:53 AM »

Henry,

I've got about 5K on my set of Metzlers on the SEUC, I agree with everything Bob said.  The guy at the tire store where I do business told me to be sure to run the recommended tire pressures and he'd been seeing about 3K better wear on the Metzlers vs the Dunlops.  He has no reason to recommend one over the other as he sells both but said all his customers had been happy with the Metzlers.

Bob
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 09:05:23 AM »

With all the failures in metzlers since production was moved to Brazil, I have quit using them and have gone to dunlop Elite III's and think they are every bit as good as a metzler.  Does'nt track rain grooves, is a soft compound so the corner nice. JOMO
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

REGGAB

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 12:53:13 PM »

With all the failures in metzlers since production was moved to Brazil, I have quit using them and have gone to dunlop Elite III's and think they are every bit as good as a metzler.  Does'nt track rain grooves, is a soft compound so the corner nice. JOMO

That pretty much sums it up for me.  When it comes to tires on the scooters, it doesn't take much to scare me.  So, these Dunlop E3s seem interesting.  Looks like I need to investigate them.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 01:25:30 PM »

ditto on the tire pressure. the 880 rear on my bike is steel belted radial. it hooks up well with less than 30 lb air. also corners very well when underinflated. that said, its easy to ride these tires with low air and not be aware of it. hence sidewall overheating and failure.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 01:26:32 PM »

Henry...honestly think they might have had some initial issues after moving some production to Brazil, but from reading elsewhere, problem seems to be addressed.  I also think that many who switch to Metzler tires do not run proper pressure in the tires, using the HD recommended pressure instead.  It's a different tire, and it runs higher pressures.  We both know that there are a lot of folks out there who do not regularly check pressure in their tires, so reports of failures are always suspect to me.  Take a look at Chip's tire in the HS report...even Dunlop's have problems.  He had a knot the size of a golfball on the sidewall of his rear...it was hitting the belt, it was so large.

The E3's are supposed to be good as well...ask Don about them, as he's running them on the Red bike.

Also, the new Michelins have been getting good reports.

I'll stick to the Metz's.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 01:31:17 PM »

I am using Metzlers on my Heritage Softail and I like 'em.  Of course I keep the pressure up to where it's supposed to be. 
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 01:41:54 PM »

Not to be smart, but if I bought a different bike that came with 402's, they would be the first thing to be changed (even before chrome).  I dislike them that badly.  Even my wife could tell a night and day difference when I took off her 402's and put on the 880's (03 Fatboy).
I would have no problem putting Elite 3's on either from the good reports from site members.   On the 402's, HD spent all their money on having HD wriiten on the side walls and not in development.     :soapbox:

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 03:43:50 PM »

I've run multiple size Metzelers on my bikes with no problems associated to Metzeler. As mentioned air pressure is key. By the time I noticed my pressure was low on the rear it had already feathered. Time for a new one.

I may give Avon's a try as I have had good luck with them on my lighter bikes. Before purchasing I will compare weight ratings even though my bike runs solo and stripped 95% or better of the time.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 06:04:55 PM »

I like the Metzs on my Fatboy ride and handle great ...

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 07:14:20 PM »

I am now on my third set of Metzelers on my SEEG.  At first I ran lower than max pressure (42 psi) on my rear tire (150/80-16) and got about 7500 miles on it. Now I run max pressure and get almost 10,000 miles on it before changing.  Running the right pressure is important and Metzeler recommends maintaining the max pressure all the time.

I have experienced an unusual problem on my last two rear tires.  I run a 150/80 and two times (once from JP Cycles and once from Drag Specialties) I receive a tire that was marked properly on the sidewall, but neither was a 150/80 tire!  The first was actually a 130/90 and the second a 140/90!!!  In both cases returned the tire and received correct size as replacement.  Anyone else heard of this problem?  When did manufacturing move to Brazil?  Never heard of this before, tires are still good though.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 10:22:38 PM »

I am now on my third set of Metzelers on my SEEG.  At first I ran lower than max pressure (42 psi) on my rear tire (150/80-16) and got about 7500 miles on it. Now I run max pressure and get almost 10,000 miles on it before changing.  Running the right pressure is important and Metzeler recommends maintaining the max pressure all the time.
Good advice, thanks Pete.

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.