Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Recommendation 3" or 6" polisher for the bike?  (Read 6756 times)

bikeman_ne

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
Recommendation 3" or 6" polisher for the bike?
« on: May 26, 2015, 05:25:32 PM »

Which size polisher do you recommend for your bike, 3" or 6"?

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Recommendation 3" or 6" polisher for the bike?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 07:00:34 PM »

Buy a Porter-Cable and get a 3" and 6" backing plate. I have both and I think if you do much polishing you will find you never use the 3" size. Buy the 7.5" pads with the curved lip, that way the base pad is protected from coming in contact with the painted surface. I have been using the Lake County pads for over 10 years and they, in my opinion are the best, Chemical guys are a second place choice here. For a new HD you will not need to do much if any cutting ever. Maybe a white pad for cleaning, maybe, but mostly a soft red or yellow to apply a carnuba type wax. I prefer the no-cut yellow for final wax and for applying top-coat products. Both my cars and the bike look amazing using these.
Any questions send me a PM, Auto-Geek is a good supply source.

luc.who

• Senior CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Slate gray/Black
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 07:34:04 PM »

Don, thanks for the post.  I have been afraid to use my PV on the bike.  I use chemical pads on my black tundra and Meg's products.  When I wax the bike I do it manually.
2012 FLHXSE3 Slate Gray/ Diamond Black
Drago Heads & 580 Cams
118 HP and 125 TQ
Built & Tuned by Wide Open Cycles in Virginia
TTS Master Tuner
Fullsac DX Header
Rinehart 4inch slip ons

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 03:17:59 AM »

Two thumbs up for the Porter Cable and Lake County pads. I never felt the need to use either on any of my Harleys, but they have done wonders on other vehicles. I can tell you I would never trust myself with a real buffer and wool pad, that would be ugly! I personally like the thick 3" concaved pads, easy to use and don't have to switch back/forth for tighter areas where it's required.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

bikeman_ne

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 08:22:29 AM »

Thanks Don, appreciate the input.  Have always just done the manual for the other bikes and am somewhat hesitate of using a polisher.

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 04:54:10 PM »

Do this.  You will like it.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g3500-da-power-system/

• Dual motion avoids 'burn-in' or swirls.
  • The sides are cushioned to avoid scratches.
  • Pads attach with Velcro and can be thrown in the washer when done.

I love it for car and bike.

M

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 05:04:46 PM »

Try the Porter-Cable on bike, First do fairing, front fender, side covers and bags with a good non-cleaner wax, wait a couple hours or so and follow up those same panels with a clean VERY soft wax pad using a Top-Coat shine enhancer product, then in the sun, compare with another bike like yours when you get the chance.
Some of these new buffers that have came on the market may be better and if someone has one they are impressed with and can compare it to the Porter-Cable let me know.
Also I have tried the very thick pads as spoken of in an earlier post, In my opinion they just asborb more product and do not perform equal to the Lake County thinner pads. If fact after buying my first one and using it, I could not figure for the life of me what convienced me to do that. But to each his own.

mark

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 11:15:38 AM »

Just my 2 cents...you're going to need a 3 inch pad for a bike...there's not enough surface area on a bike for a larger pad.  I've found if you use a larger pad, you'll sling wax or polish everywhere because the pad is too big to be in contact with the surface all the time.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 11:53:03 AM »

Not the cheapest but an excellent product:  Griot's Garage 3" Random Orbital

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 03:37:46 PM »

Not the cheapest but an excellent product:  Griot's Garage 3" Random Orbital

That is what I have as well...works great.  Also, great service from those folks.
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 04:06:24 PM »

I have one of the Girots 3" units, but it offers no advantage over a Porter Cable with 3" Lake County or similar pad and backing plate. Just makes you own two buffers that do the same thing, only the PC will run a large pad as well, the Girot will not, at least not for very long because it does not have the power, not a bad unit, just better stuff is available - cheaper.
As far as a post above using a small pad to cut down on wax sling.. wax sling NEVER happens, you do not squirt wax on a car or bike or the buffing pad then set the buffer down and turn it on. On any quality detail you massage the product into the pad, using your fingers or if you are really anal a plastic paddle - evenly before you start and you start the buffer while in contact with the paint. I do not sling wax and do my bike, and others with 7.5" pad regularly. I find the larger pad, on a bike much easier to use because you keep the actual buffer unit it self farther away from the bike, also a piece of rubber pipe insulation slipped over the buffer body keeps mishaps to a point where no maring is possible. Just my opinion and experience but not really worth much if anything.

mark

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 08:01:57 PM »

I have one of the Girots 3" units, but it offers no advantage over a Porter Cable with 3" Lake County or similar pad and backing plate. Just makes you own two buffers that do the same thing, only the PC will run a large pad as well, the Girot will not, at least not for very long because it does not have the power, not a bad unit, just better stuff is available - cheaper.
As far as a post above using a small pad to cut down on wax sling.. wax sling NEVER happens, you do not squirt wax on a car or bike or the buffing pad then set the buffer down and turn it on. On any quality detail you massage the product into the pad, using your fingers or if you are really anal a plastic paddle - evenly before you start and you start the buffer while in contact with the paint. I do not sling wax and do my bike, and others with 7.5" pad regularly. I find the larger pad, on a bike much easier to use because you keep the actual buffer unit it self farther away from the bike, also a piece of rubber pipe insulation slipped over the buffer body keeps mishaps to a point where no maring is possible. Just my opinion and experience but not really worth much if anything.

To each his own...small pad for smaller area, large pad for large area...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 08:04:01 PM by Mark »

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 09:30:59 AM »

I use the Adams polishes http://adamspolishes.com/shop/kits/4-polishing-kits.html I have the Cyclo machine with 2 x 4" pads and the Flex the cyclo works great on the bike the Flex has a 7" pad and works better on the car. I haven't tried the PC, the Adams polishes line really works incredible especially the detail spray and the Patriot wax
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 09:36:31 AM »

Cyclo pro polisher
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 09:39:44 AM »

Some great videos that show how to use the polishers and products. http://adamspolishes.com/video
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

RJW

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Sold
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE5d #506
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 06:39:57 PM »

toddwebber

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE hard candy
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE crimson
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHXSB (sold)
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 12:09:09 AM »

I own griots 3" and 6". Both are great for waxing and light polishing. If you have a dark color bike try chemical guys black light. Best I've found for these low speed foam pad units. Harley uses air powered 3" wool pads with 3M product to remove blems on the line. I'm old school...detailed for over 10 years back in the day. Foam is great, but in the right hands wool will outperform it
Fuel Moto 113 big bore kit, Ward Performance CNC heads, Wood TW-999 cams, SE cam plate, Zippers chain tensioners, Darkhorse lower end, H beam rods, Timken bearing, SE 58mm TB, 5.3 injectors, AIM clutch, D&D Boarzilla 2/1, Dynojet Power Vision, Dynojet Target Tune, JRI rear shocks, Legend AXEO front shocks

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 02:02:19 PM »

I suggest the Porter-Cable as much for durability as well as price. It is economical and will last a LONG time, even if used regularly. The Cyclo does look interesting though, I have wanted one for a long time just hate to spend the money when the one I have works fine. I do disagree with the above statement that a small pad is for small area and a large pad for large area, we all have opinions, but mine is different with that one. I really think the larger pad gives a better more even application as long as it wil fit, even if you can only use half the dia on a spot. IMHO.

toddwebber

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE hard candy
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE crimson
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHXSB (sold)
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 07:33:10 PM »

I suggest the Porter-Cable as much for durability as well as price. It is economical and will last a LONG time, even if used regularly. The Cyclo does look interesting though, I have wanted one for a long time just hate to spend the money when the one I have works fine. I do disagree with the above statement that a small pad is for small area and a large pad for large area, we all have opinions, but mine is different with that one. I really think the larger pad gives a better more even application as long as it wil fit, even if you can only use half the dia on a spot. IMHO.

Agreed...Thats why I have both sizes. I use a 20 pound orbital to wax my cars. On the bikes I use the 6" where it fits, then switch over to the 3". If your on a budget though...I'd say go with the 3" if its only for your bike. If your going to do your cars as well get the 6".
Fuel Moto 113 big bore kit, Ward Performance CNC heads, Wood TW-999 cams, SE cam plate, Zippers chain tensioners, Darkhorse lower end, H beam rods, Timken bearing, SE 58mm TB, 5.3 injectors, AIM clutch, D&D Boarzilla 2/1, Dynojet Power Vision, Dynojet Target Tune, JRI rear shocks, Legend AXEO front shocks
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 24 queries.