Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Making Chrome Shiny  (Read 17919 times)

skydiverbob

• Man, I just wanna RIDE!
Making Chrome Shiny
« on: November 11, 2009, 04:30:42 PM »

There's so much stuff out there on the market it's really freakin, fruckin hard to choose what's best to make chrome mirror shiny.

The pastes mostly have an abrasive base that I want to stay away from.  That creates scratches I would think.

Some folks say Windex is best.  But that also strips away any good corrosion protection that some other things might leave behind.

There's Bombs Away.  How good is that stuff really?  Mothers, Glare, etc., the list goes on.  And then there's S100 Polishing Soap...  

Please guys, help me out here.   Thank you!
  :mango: :bananarock: :orange: :pineapple: :apple:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 12:32:24 PM by skydiverbob »
Blue Skies and soft landings!
And as JP says, "Share the love"...

Dionicio

Re: Making Chrome Shiny
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 09:46:26 AM »

Try Lemon Pledge, works great on chrome , paint, and everything else.

2010StreetGlideSE

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 10:39:51 AM »

I have used for years & still do, just plain old Isopropyl Alcohol which you can buy at the Dollar Stores very cheap. Alcohol works great & leaves no residue or streaks behind. Just my $.02 worth :-)

Dionicio

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 10:48:37 AM »

Stupid question , what technique do You use to clean the bike using alcohol?   Thanks.

skydiverbob

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 11:28:30 AM »

Try Lemon Pledge, works great on chrome , paint, and everything else.

I use Lemon Pledge on my coffee table.  I don't know if I'd like the wax on my bike though.

Check out this post - http://hawg-wash.com/detailinghog.html.
Let me know what you think.  I'd like to hear your objective response.

Peace...Robert!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 11:36:01 AM »

I use Lemon Pledge on my coffee table.  I don't know if I'd like the wax on my bike though.

Check out this post - http://hawg-wash.com/detailinghog.html.
Let me know what you think.  I'd like to hear your objective response.

Peace...Robert!

Everything you wanted to know about detailing but were afraid to ask! Even more!!! For me anyway, but good info! Cool link! Thanks for posting it man! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skydiverbob

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 11:39:25 AM »

I have used for years & still do, just plain old Isopropyl Alcohol which you can buy at the Dollar Stores very cheap. Alcohol works great & leaves no residue or streaks behind. Just my $.02 worth :-)

Thanks for the reply.

I can see where this would take off any film or residue.  If the first wipe is still streaking then there's some dirt or whatever still left behind.  I would like to also have some corrosion protection left behind especially during the winter months.  It gets cold and damp, even in the garage.

Check out this post - http://hawg-wash.com/detailinghog.html - and please let me know what you think.  I know some of it is advertisements but I also believe that there's some good techniques here worth trying out.

Peace...Robert!

2010StreetGlideSE

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 07:33:38 PM »

What I was referring to cleaning with the Alcohol is the chrome.....thats all. Definitely don't suggest using
it anywhere else.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 07:57:49 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

I can see where this would take off any film or residue.  If the first wipe is still streaking then there's some dirt or whatever still left behind.  I would like to also have some corrosion protection left behind especially during the winter months.  It gets cold and damp, even in the garage.

Check out this post - http://hawg-wash.com/detailinghog.html - and please let me know what you think.  I know some of it is advertisements but I also believe that there's some good techniques here worth trying out.

Peace...Robert!

Thanks for the great link on detailing a bike! I'll have to try some of those products.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 08:30:23 PM »

:cherry:
Some of ya might be startled at this recommendation,  but when cleaning chrome (assuming a good chrome finish),  0000 steel wool works great and will NOT scratch the chrome unless you are really leaning on the pad.  It cuts thru the scum or whatever that might be on the chrome and takes half the time of most other solutions.  000 and 0000 steel wool is used to put the finishing touches on already stained woodwork for the final "buff".......

Having made this recommendation in the past,  I know from experience some will say (no way!),  but hey......spend how ever much time you want to get the "same" end results I can and have with my bikes and street rod. :drink:

skydiverbob

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 10:36:42 PM »

What I was referring to cleaning with the Alcohol is the chrome.....thats all. Definitely don't suggest using
it anywhere else.

I understood that.  I'll try that one day just before a ride.  But if my bike is put away for some time I believe it should also have some corrosion protection as well.  Some kind of sealer...

2010StreetGlideSE

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 07:49:29 AM »

Well skydiverbob I totally agree with you, that when putting the bike up for the winter you should have some kind of sealer on both the paint & chrome.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 07:58:13 AM »

I know this is off the subject, But have you heard anything good or bad about the MB Fall Rally, We stayed in N. Myrtle Beach this year and had the best time out of the last 9 rallies we have been to there. Capt. Poo's and Drawbridge has Suck Bang Blow or any other place like that beat hands down, can't forget Harold's at the Beach either.  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 10:05:15 AM »

I agree with Poohs being a major spot during the Rallys.  I live about 12 miles away from there (Sunset Beach).  As I have indicated in another post here somewhere........If you show up at Poohs (on your CVO) and if you are lucky enough to be there at the same time as Pado.......you'll get a free beer out of him :drink:

Don't forget about H.B. Spokes out on Rt 9 too.  Only about a 3 or 4 mile ride from Poohs or Swing bridge.

skydiverbob

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 10:48:28 AM »

Well skydiverbob I totally agree with you, that when putting the bike up for the winter you should have some kind of sealer on both the paint & chrome.

Thanks for keeping up on this subject matter.  Have a great weekend.  Peace!

2010StreetGlideSE

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 10:56:52 AM »

I agree totally....have lived in Myrtle Beach now for almost 5 years. And even when there's no rally going, Capt. Poo's, Swingbridge, Harolds on the Ocean & all the watering holes down in Little River at the waterfront are AWESOME!!! The South-End of Myrtle Beach has alot more drama, fights, and bullchit IMHO. The police down here really monitor the South-End closely & have no mercy on you if you step out of line in the smallest of ways!

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 08:24:09 PM »

Unless someone has a very good understanding of how to use steel wool on chrome they better stay away. When used on wood it works just as high quality sandpaper and does require buffing to remove the micro scratches. You can't buff chrome, it just retains the micro scratches forever and the sun magnifies them. Use good chrome polish if you get that much crap on your chrome, not sure how anyone could maintain the chrome on a regular basis and get enough dirt/muck to require steel wool to "sand" it away, but if you do, try micro fiber applicator and chrome polish, MUCH safer.

skydiverbob

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 08:48:18 PM »

Unless someone has a very good understanding of how to use steel wool on chrome they better stay away. When used on wood it works just as high quality sandpaper and does require buffing to remove the micro scratches. You can't buff chrome, it just retains the micro scratches forever and the sun magnifies them. Use good chrome polish if you get that much crap on your chrome, not sure how anyone could maintain the chrome on a regular basis and get enough dirt/muck to require steel wool to "sand" it away, but if you do, try micro fiber applicator and chrome polish, MUCH safer.
My bike would have to be pretty ratty before I used steel wool.  By that time I would either get new pipes, a new bike, or a new wife.

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »

Visited a friend in Texas this spring that has enough toys & $$$$ that he has a detail man to keep his stuff lookin good.Gave us a lesson while we were there. 000  steelwool & Harley chrome polish . I have had mufflers grungy enough to try it,but but not since I got the tip
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 12:52:39 PM »

this is the schnizzle...red for dirty, blue for polish sealer, used on my boats, when I had em...

SmileMaker

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
    • CVO2: 97 FLSTS Blue & White
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 07:08:01 PM »

Second the Wenol

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 09:16:17 PM »

I will third the Wenol
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

Trigger

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 06:03:34 PM »

Any type of pure carnuba wax.  I use mothers pure carnuba.  Just let the engine cool and wax on and wax off.

For the black portion of the block where it is rough, I just spray on a pure silicone spray.

Cheers

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 06:31:23 PM »

I too have used Wenol both red and blue for many yrs,  on my streetrod polished wheels and elsewhere.....but,  this comment I don't think is (quite) right....."this is the schnizzle...red for dirty, blue for polish sealer,"

The word (sealer) should not be there in my opinion.  Wenol makes a tube of wax to apply after you use either red or blue or both ahead of it.   I can tell ya from experience that without a final coat of good wax,  the polished wheels will not last nearly as long before requiring a re-do all over again. :drink:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 07:52:28 AM »

Dang! I used to use wd40 for a cleaner, wenol blue for a finish...dang!   :huepfenjump3:

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 09:12:24 AM »

so i'm the only one using baby oil on chrome. :drink:

besides being shiny, she has the scent of a new born baby.

TN

edit:   http://blog.ashfordchroming.com/
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 03:20:18 PM by TN »
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 09:51:40 PM »

so i'm the only one using baby oil on chrome. :drink:

besides being shiny, she has the scent of a new born baby.

I don't recall that being a particularly good smell.

Ultra2010

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 01:23:44 PM »

use to spray on Safeway "Clean and Shine" on the dark engine areas and just leave it, worked very good, also used it all over the bike but had to wipe it off.......... don't know if they make it anymore, now I just use water and elbow grease..........  but I'm not really into doing the huge bike show cleaning, I usually wash it weekly, more when I get caught in the rain, so I don't have a heavy buildup of chit.  I do have some HD stuff for bugs on the fairing and lowers but it seems like it does not work all that well....  placing a hot wet rag on the areas with bugs and chit buildup then rinsing it off seems to work better.  Guess the older I get, the lazier I get about it.  But maybe now I'll have to change my ways, having just bought a bike with more chrome and nicer paint than I've ever had before.... :nixweiss:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 02:20:26 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

rkpultrase

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2009, 09:45:59 AM »

Harley bright chrome cleaner is the best. Easy on and off.

AZ SESG

• '17 SESG Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black -- '02 SERK Candy/Brandywine *Gone but not forgotten*
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Formerly AZ SERK

• CVO1: '02 FLHRSEI / Sold
    • CVO2: '17 FLHXSE
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2009, 02:33:52 PM »

Wenol - Blue for chrome and polished aluminum.  :coolblue:

It's been a component of my Detail Bag for twenty years.
Life is: Choices. Choose wisely.
"Ability + Commitment - Doubt = Reality"
IBA #42159

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2009, 09:08:16 PM »

I use Protect all... http://www.protectall.com  ..on chrome, works well and very easy to use.

skydiverbob

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2009, 09:39:34 PM »

I use Protect all... http://www.protectall.com  ..on chrome, works well and very easy to use.

I'll have to try it.  Thanks for the tip.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2009, 01:28:46 PM »

Tried the lemon pledge on the bow of a boat once and only once.  It shined beautiful, but after stepping over the windshield and slipping on the shiny new surface and falling in the water I decided pledge is too slick.  Never tried it on a bike.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2009, 03:59:38 PM »

On clean, already shiny chrome I use either Protectall or S100 Spray Detailer.  If it needs cleaning, I use Simichrome Polish.
Spada84
NoSofa!

Randy C

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 SERG Silver and Titanium Dust

• CVO1: 09 Serg Silver Titanium Dust V&H power header,TT race tuner,Fullsac 2.25 baffles,Windsvest windshield,Mustang seat,Garman 665gps,Riders claw
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2009, 09:50:37 PM »

I have always used windex on my chrome on all my vehicles,On windshields that are real buggy if you soak a paper towl with windex and lay it on the shields they will come off without scratching.As far as the paint goes I won a can of Honda polish on a poker run one year ,everybody laughed and said what are you going to do with that so I put it on the shelf for about 5 years.One day I ran into a friend of mine that has more vehicles than a museum,he had just ordered a case of Honda spray wax and told me that is all he ever used,oh and he owned a detail shop,now I use it on my bikes and cars quick easy and works great!!
Growing old isn't for sissys and growing up  isn't an option!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »

I have always used windex on my chrome on all my vehicles,On windshields that are real buggy if you soak a paper towl with windex and lay it on the shields they will come off without scratching.As far as the paint goes I won a can of Honda polish on a poker run one year ,everybody laughed and said what are you going to do with that so I put it on the shelf for about 5 years.One day I ran into a friend of mine that has more vehicles than a museum,he had just ordered a case of Honda spray wax and told me that is all he ever used,oh and he owned a detail shop,now I use it on my bikes and cars quick easy and works great!!
It's probably got glasplexin in it.  :2vrolijk_21:spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 02:41:47 PM »

Mother's chrome polish and a well trained teenager who wants to have dad take him to school on the bike.....
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2010, 08:11:17 PM »

Mother's chrome polish and a well trained teenager who wants to have dad take him to school on the bike.....
Looks like it's working  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

dragon35s

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 04:49:11 AM »

I think that the ultimate chrome cleaning agent is a cheap simple can of Never-Dull costs about $2 and it cleans everything from rust to dirt and there are no harsh abrasives.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2010, 02:44:17 AM »

skydiverbob, Like some of the other guys I use neverdull(made by eagle one) on my chrome if it needs a little extra attention, but I mostly use a product called Plexus. I have used it since I got my 95 Heritage and now I use it on my 09 SEUC. It makes the chrome look fantastic, it makes the paint shine and feel absolutely smooth and it is easy to put on and off. It is also great on windshields and plastic.(www.PlexusPlasticCleaner.com). I usually pay about $10.00 for a 13 oz. spray can which lasts a long time. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

hooligan

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: 09 XB12X Buell Ulysses
    • CVO3: 05 XL883C
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2010, 10:28:30 PM »

I use Eagle One Nano Polish and Micro fiber cloths works great.. cleans polishes and protects ...This stuff will even take melted boot off your exhaust !!
http://www.eagleone.com/pages/products/product.asp?itemid=1120

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Razor Red
SE Heavy Breather
V & H Slip ons
Power Commander 3 usb
Diamond cut Cylinders and Heads
True Track
Chrome Inner Primary & Tons of Chrome

Chilly

• CVO1: 2010 se-ultra
    • CVO2: 2000 dyna convertible
    • CVO3: 89 ultra w/100 rev--tech and 79 flh w/sidecar
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2010, 01:40:23 PM »

I use SIMICHROME POLISH. A trucker in Ohio turned my boy onto it for cleaning his chrome and polishing his aluminum on his 74 Dodge Challenger. Also Zips Harley in Gaylord, Michigan where I bought my bike from uses it to detail there bikes. My brothers girl friend used it on the mirrors and boards and was very satisfied with the way it cleaned and shined both.        Chilly

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2010, 02:01:03 PM »

I use SIMICHROME POLISH. A trucker in Ohio turned my boy onto it for cleaning his chrome and polishing his aluminum on his 74 Dodge Challenger. Also Zips Harley in Gaylord, Michigan where I bought my bike from uses it to detail there bikes. My brothers girl friend used it on the mirrors and boards and was very satisfied with the way it cleaned and shined both.        Chilly
It's always been the best at making alum. look like chrome.  ;) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Krazze

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2010, 08:35:51 PM »

windex does a great job
Krazze

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2010, 09:13:10 PM »

windex does a great job

OK.....this isn't the first time windex was suggested....you got me.....I will try it on the rims....
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Life is too short to drink out-of-date beer"
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2010, 03:44:36 AM »

If I may make a point. Before you worry about the myriad of cleaners, polishes, and waxes...Lets talk about what must happen before you get to that point.

My experience comes from maintaining Two white vehicles, 2007 Z51 Vette, and an 07 SEUC, plus shinning bikes since 1974.

When you buy your vehicle, if it has any Chorme or is light in color i.e. White, change the brake pads to ceramic as soon as your pocket book will allow.

If you don't, you must ensure that all the brake dust is removed from any chrome surface or white paint before the dust is allowed to get moist or damp and sit for any extended period of time.

Typically when you run your hand over your wheels or the inside of your pipes and feel a distinct rough texture, as if lightly dragging a microfiber rag across your rough hand, it is brake dust rusting.

I was told by two car dealers that the tiny numerous rust spots on my vehicles white paint was "Rail dust". That may have been true in some cases, but my vehicles were never on any train.

Another thing to consider; if you drag a rag across anything that has brake dust on it and then mix it with any of the compounds mention throughout this thread, you WILL scratch your chrome forever. As one poster put it "You can't buff out scratches in Chrome". I know this because of the massive amount of brake dust on the Corvette front wheels. As this car is a daily driver and I don't pay enough attention to the wheels, they are pitted and scratched from brake dust and elbow grease of trying to get rid of it...It really sucks.

Metal brake pads are the devil to Chrome. If your garage or area of the country you live in has high humidity, then you need to be extra attentive.

Just my two cents.
Unapologetically American!

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SE Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2010, 05:08:24 PM »

Glare has got my recommendation to shine chrome.  Its a lot of work but very impressive shine.

Gamecock

• 08 Inferno SE2
  • 08 SSSE

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno
    • CVO2: tbd
    • CVO3: tbd
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2010, 01:22:47 PM »

I've been using Turtle Wax Chrome Polish in all the chrome, followed by Turtle Wax's ICE wax products. After 6 months, I still have a great shine on all my chrome and no scratches. I wash the bike when any film is on it, and use the ICE spray and the shine persists. I do keep the bike in the garage so it does not accumulate weather residue. The bike stays immaculate. Even dust comes off easily with a light hose spray and dry with an electric leaf blower.

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2010, 08:50:39 AM »

Definitely a wide variety of opinions... lol

And what is the best things for those who aren't smart enough to keep their boots off their pipes?  :confused5:

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Life is too short to drink out-of-date beer"
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2010, 12:32:19 AM »

And what is the best things for those who aren't smart enough to keep their boots off their pipes?  :confused5:

A Car!
Unapologetically American!

marshall10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHX
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2010, 03:13:33 AM »

I have a pair of "Old School" style engineer boots that have leather for the heel, and leather for the sole backing. The really nice thing is the sole itself is a Vibram sole. Very high melting point and are oil resistant. Bought these boots years ago in El Paso. I think they are "Chippewah" brand. Anyway they have only left one mark on my pipes, and that seemed like dye/polish and "Bug Slide" cleaned it right up.
Anyone can piss on the floor, but Chuck Norris can crap on the ceiling.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2010, 11:49:03 AM »

A lot of good info here,  but also a lot of (unnecessary usages of "polish"),  To my way of thinking chrome is ALREADY SHINY!!!!!!!!!   It starts out that way and if it's kept clean,  it stays that way.  Dried bugs, crap and dirt need to be washed off and stubborn spots (like dried bugs), need a cleaner and some elbow grease, etc. and you're back in business.   Then a coat of wax will extend the time you need to do it again.

Usage of Wenol and so many of the other recommended "polishes" here are really for polishing mag wheels,  aluminum wheels, etc.  to get the tarnish off and then follow with wax.   Using much of this stuff on (chrome) is imo a waste of the product :drink:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2010, 12:49:47 PM »

A lot of good info here,  but also a lot of (unnecessary usages of "polish"),  To my way of thinking chrome is ALREADY SHINY!!!!!!!!!   It starts out that way and if it's kept clean,  it stays that way.  Dried bugs, crap and dirt need to be washed off and stubborn spots (like dried bugs), need a cleaner and some elbow grease, etc. and you're back in business.   Then a coat of wax will extend the time you need to do it again.

Usage of Wenol and so many of the other recommended "polishes" here are really for polishing mag wheels,  aluminum wheels, etc.  to get the tarnish off and then follow with wax.   Using much of this stuff on (chrome) is imo a waste of the product :drink:
That goes back to what I've read about keeping chrome 'clean' and just let it 'breath' and it'll last longer and shine just as much.  spyder

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2010, 02:53:59 AM »

This is all you need it takes care of the wind shield,paint,chrome my glide is 9 years old it has never been waxed and i show it a couple times a year 3 m Imperial hand glaze is  all  thats   been on it since new , it will take swirls out it has no grit no wax and no silicone, a friend of mine won a national champingship in the national street rod ascoseation and was voted street rod of the year by popular Hot Rodding mag it has never had nothing but 3 m Imperial hand glaze the only place you can buy it is a 3m dealer.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:34:17 AM by OTIS »
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2010, 03:37:39 AM »

Better pic
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2010, 07:10:46 AM »

This is all you need it takes care of the wind shield,paint,chrome my glide is 9 years old it has never been waxed and i show it a couple times a year 3 m Imperial hand glaze is  all  thats   been on it since new , it will take swirls out it has no grit no wax and no silicone, a friend of mine won a national champingship in the national street rod ascoseation and was voted street rod of the year by popular Hot Rodding mag it has never had nothing but 3 m Imperial hand glaze the only place you can buy it is a 3m dealer.
I believe I've seen that in use a time or two. :2vrolijk_21: ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2010, 07:39:57 AM »

Hard to argue with someone that disassembles his scoot to clean it.  ;D har.  :drink: spyder

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SE Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2010, 06:33:28 PM »

Yea I understand that it is hard to believe but the Glare on chrome gives a mirror quality that the un-polished chrome can't match.  Once you've applied the Glare to chrome per instructions the road grime rinses off with no effort.  When I first started using it on the exhaust I first cleaned the mufflers then applied the Glare to just one for a comparision.  You could use the Glared one for a mirror.  No I don't work for Glare just amazed at the shine.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 21 queries.