Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Black Engine Chrome became dull and foggy  (Read 12588 times)

billt1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • NH

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Road Glide
Black Engine Chrome became dull and foggy
« on: October 17, 2012, 06:55:42 PM »

Rocker covers,cam cover, ETC became dull and streaky. Tried everything. Brought it to Harley dealer detail shop they couldn't do anything either but called HD. HD said not a warranty issue, try Mothers Back to Black. For $8 I said why not. No way did the white cream look like it would do anything.Amazing, just wiped it on and easily wiped it off. Bang it was shiny black. I have washed the bike three times since, including the use of s100. Still very black. Used it on my Porsche ,same results . It was so easy to use that even if I have to retreat a few times a year, no big deal.

lakekruiser101

Re: Black Engine Chrome became dull and foggy
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 06:09:03 PM »

I have the same issue the powder coating seems to get real hazy...never looks the same after you take it out off the showroom......MOthers Back to Black huh!  I will check it out..thanks :)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 08:43:04 PM »

including the use of s100.

That would be a concern of mine.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »

Rocker covers,cam cover, ETC became dull and streaky. Tried everything. Brought it to Harley dealer detail shop they couldn't do anything either but called HD. HD said not a warranty issue, try Mothers Back to Black. For $8 I said why not. No way did the white cream look like it would do anything.Amazing, just wiped it on and easily wiped it off. Bang it was shiny black. I have washed the bike three times since, including the use of s100. Still very black. Used it on my Porsche ,same results . It was so easy to use that even if I have to retreat a few times a year, no big deal.

FWIW:   STOP USING S100 on your bike.  THAT's where the haze is coming from.

Over time it will also corrode your electrical switches and connections too.

Use a good bike or car wash and then use your polish or detail spray.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:10:39 AM by CVOStreetglide »

20 gauge

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 03 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: 07 FXDSE2
    • CVO3: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 07:48:44 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think there are more than one product carrying the S 100 designation. Are you warning about all their products, or one in paticular?

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 10:27:51 AM »

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think there are more than one product carrying the S 100 designation. Are you warning about all their products, or one in paticular?

The only one I am aware of is called S 100 and has provided the exact same results for me.....one time too many. Even cutting the strength has the same results. (see the post below this one for other owners who have had the same experience).

20 gauge

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 03 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: 07 FXDSE2
    • CVO3: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 12:57:40 PM »

S100 sells many different products for many different applications on bikes. Which product of theirs are you referring to?

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 03:59:40 PM »

S100 sells many different products for many different applications on bikes. Which product of theirs are you referring to?

Because of damage now for the second time of my custom derby cover, it doesn't matter what "safe for all motorcycle finishes" S-100 product - I will never use any of their "safe" products. 
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 07:14:19 PM »

Because of damage now for the second time of my custom derby cover, it doesn't matter what "safe for all motorcycle finishes" S-100 product - I will never use any of their "safe" products.       X2 they disclored a 1992 dyna motor of mine way back   I use bike brite now  I have seen  discoloration on powdercoated parts with both S100 and bike brite   do not ask how I know.....

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
smokey and hazy film on black coated engine parts
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 12:35:46 AM »

Our 2012 Skunk's black engine parts (rocker boxes, trans cover, primary, etc.) have been smoky, hazy, and dirty looking since new.  We were told it would burn off but never has.  We have taken it back to the dealer who contacted the factory.  The factory stated there have been few if any complaints on this issue but will have the dealer attempt to clean them.  We will know more in a few days.  Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what was the outcome with possible fixes?

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 10:43:18 AM »

MY Skunk is doing the same thing
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

ts

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 04:30:47 PM »

Hey Guys,

Are you talking about the Heads?  I just got my new 13 110 Anniversary CVO RK and the engine is Black, BUT the heads have a haze look to it.  I was told it would do that because the heads get HOT?  WTF!! New Bike and already haze heads .  Am I over looking something or will the Back to Black really work?

Thanks
Tim

Saintnick06

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 06:31:39 PM »

I also have the Anniversary Ultra and actually thought about sending out all the black parts and having them Black Chromed, cost is about 2800.00 including the installation at the dealer but I believe I'm just going to enjoy riding it! Those of us who ride long and hard have an impossible task at hand if we are going to try to keep them pristine! No way that you can keep it new if you ride it!!!  "Ride like the wind"  :coolblue:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 06:44:26 PM by Saintnick06 »
2017 FLHTKSE
COBRA Power Duals
COBRA RACE PRO SLIP-ON MUFFLERS

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 10:02:35 AM »

I use Armor All on shiny black and Pig Spit on any crinkle finish black, works great for me. Her a picture on my V65 when it was 20 years old.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 10:09:40 AM by Talon »

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 05:02:21 AM »

I use Armor All on shiny black and Pig Spit on any crinkle finish black, works great for me. Her a picture on my V65 when it was 20 years old.

Nice clean Honda there! Is that a Magna? I used to have an '85 V65 Sabre ... best jap bike I ever owned. Too bad I totalled a fullsize Chevy van with it or I would still have it to this day ... I miss that bike. Mine was black/silver with cbx fairing painted to match. Strong runner .... I made swiss cheese out of the factory airbox, K&N air filter, re-jetted the carbs (those V-4s are a pain to squeeze the carbs in/out of motor) & a Dale Walker 4-1 pipe. I even set the valve lash myself on that bike ... I enjoyed wrenching on it almost as much as riding it.

After being layed up for half a year I took a break from riding for a bit. After that I decided to slow down & grow up so I bought my first Harley. Sorry to sidetrack from the topic but you re-hashed alot of good/bad memories showing me that pic.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

SupDude

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 07:40:04 AM »

I have a bottle of Back to Black which I used to use on the inner faring of my 2010 Road Glide Custom.  It restored the faded white areas and made the bike look great.  I've never thought of using it on powder coated parts but I'll give it a try.  BTW, I recently gave up using S100 products because of the white haze.  I bought a bottle of Mcguiars wash and it does a great job. 
2013 CVO Road Glide Anniversary

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 10:14:55 AM »

For what it is worth, I have some light swirl scratches on the Primary and Cam covers from someone having the great idea of wiping the bike down with a dry cloth. >:(

I talked with an experienced bike detail guy and he said that on black finishes that have swirl, light rub marks and haze on it to use a product called "3M Ultrafine Machine Polish" and a micro-fiber cloth with light pressure. The attached video uses a car for the entire refinish process but the last few minutes shows the use of the ultrafine product and application.

After that use a good wax or sealer.

CumberlandJB

• TX

• Trucking Technology
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 10:59:59 PM »

My 2 cents, I use Meguires 26 wax on the engine, wheels, and frame.  Yes, the entire engine - chrome, black, and cast parts.  It is a pain to apply, but it lasts forever and makes cleaning for the next year or two much easier. 

It won't fix the foggy black - there's already been plenty said about that.  But, it will keep it looking good. 

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 11:43:43 PM »

My 2 cents, I use Meguires 26 wax on the engine, wheels, and frame.  Yes, the entire engine - chrome, black, and cast parts.  It is a pain to apply, but it lasts forever and makes cleaning for the next year or two much easier. 

It won't fix the foggy black - there's already been plenty said about that.  But, it will keep it looking good. 

I read where 26 isn't the best choice on light colors.  Have you had any experience with this?

CumberlandJB

• TX

• Trucking Technology
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 08:14:38 AM »

I have been using Meguires 26 for years n everything - but the latest color vehicle I have ever owned was my Chopper Blue RoadGlide I just sold.  I can't tell you if there is a problem with that wax on light colors. 

I just bought is root beer 2012 FLTRXSE.  Decided to Meguires everything except the painted surfaces - will use Zaino Z2 Pro for that.  Zaino is expensive, but it's worked well on my Dodge.  We will see.

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 09:45:39 PM »

Thanks, I will have to take a look at the Zaino Z2.

Thundercloud

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 03:33:17 PM »

MY Skunk is doing the same thing

Same BS for every issue we have on these bikes. The MOCO never just stands behind their products, we have to fight tooth and nail to get them to do anything. Thinking it might be time for a Goldwing.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 09:32:04 PM »

I use Simple Green ( can get it from Home Depot ) Awesome stuff, cleans as well, if not better that S100 but is fully bio degradable and safe for all types of surfaces. I have bin using it for years on all my dirt bikes, sport bikes and my last 3 Harley's.  Give it a try, you will use it for ever.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 09:54:04 PM »

Not sure why the above comment critizes HD for milky black paint/powdercoat. HD was not the one who sprayed S100 Total bike cleaner or a similiar product on the bike. It, in my opinion, is the  responsibility for the owner to read and understand what is in the product prior to using it and also to verify the finish the product is being sprayed on is tolerable to the cleaner. MOST if not ALL painted surfaces will dull if S100 total bike cleaner is sprayed on and not immediately removed with HEAVY volumes of water as they contain some concentration of ammonia or chlorine which should never be used on paint. I know a hundred people are going to reply they have been using it for years, but my response is there stuff shows they have been using it and would never suit me. IMHO keep chemicals off the painted surfaces and wash them with car wash soap and water and dry. Then occassionally polish/wax with a product for painted surfaces.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 07:21:03 AM »

Wanted to revisit this topic.
For thoses with blacked-out crome and motors....have you found this be a non-issue to keep clean...or would you have rather have the traditional crome(handle bars, rocker covers, crash guards....ect)

Looking at a blacked out bike and wonders about keeping the black looking shiny.

Thanks

agedwards63

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2014, 07:45:10 PM »

So far Original Bikers Spirits Polish has shined my "shiny black" parts right back up when they get hazy

CumberlandJB

• TX

• Trucking Technology
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2014, 10:34:04 PM »

My FTRRXSE is now 2 years old.  Wax on the engine, including the glossy black parts, has done the trick and looks as good as new.  So, 2 years in, the gloss black engine parts are looking just as good as chrome engine parts. 

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 02:45:12 AM »

Thanks

Glad to hear that the black is holding up!

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
Black Motor Parts
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2015, 09:48:09 AM »

For those of you who have the engine with the black motor parts ( rocker boxes, primary cover, transmission covers ect. ) what exactly is the finish ? power coating ? black paint ?  My real question, no matter what finish it is, what do you do to keep the parts looking nice ? Mine have kind of a film or haze look to it, and I'd like to get them to shine again like when it new. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                           Jonnierock

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Black Motor Parts
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2015, 09:52:16 AM »

Pig Spit

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
Re: Black Motor Parts
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2015, 01:09:41 PM »

For those of you who have the engine with the black motor parts ( rocker boxes, primary cover, transmission covers ect. ) what exactly is the finish ? power coating ? black paint ?  My real question, no matter what finish it is, what do you do to keep the parts looking nice ? Mine have kind of a film or haze look to it, and I'd like to get them to shine again like when it new. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                           Jonnierock

My '13 SEUC is the Anniversary model with black engine trim. The best product I have found to keep it deep black and shiny is Royal Blue polishing wax.

crobson

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2013 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2o17 cvo streetglide
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2015, 03:14:46 PM »

wow thanks guys tried a few different things to brighten it up but not much success, got a few new things to try like the back to black idea always have a bottle of that laying around
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 21 queries.