Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wax or Polish  (Read 2183 times)

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
Wax or Polish
« on: December 02, 2014, 02:48:18 PM »

Just want to get some of your thoughts regarding PROS vs. CONS for Wax or Polish

With regards to:
-Wax: paste v. liquid v. spray

-Polish: Nu Finish, etc.

Any and all thoughts welcomed.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

mark

Re: Wax or Polish
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 11:33:12 AM »

Lots of variables in waxes and polishes.  Some waxes contain polish, which may be listed as a cleaner.  Some waxes are just that-only wax.  Some polishes just polish and have no protectant, while others polish and have paint protectant too.  Most of the polishes you find at an auto parts store will have some type protectant added.  I imagine Nu Finish Polish falls into this last category.

I don't see any difference in liquid and paste waxes, it's just two different ways to deliver the same thing.  As far as spray wax goes, I've aways considered this a "quicky" wax and not equivant to liquid or paste. 

For my CVO, if I polish the paint (strictly polish-nothing else added, like Griots Garage polish #3) I follow that up with a coat of carnuba wax.  For my daily driver, I use a paint sealant that contains a polish, so it's one step rather than two (I get that from Griots Garage too).

Normally I wouldn't endorse a Harley product because they're usually over-priced.  However, the Harley Glaze Poly Sealant works well, especially if you have a minor smudge or bug mark on the paint.  It has a protectant and a very light polish added, which would be similar to Griots Garage #4 polish.

JQCVO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 12:39:56 PM »

Mark makes a lot of good points.
There is a lot written about wax vs polish. I recommend you google (wax versus polish) and you'll find a ton of reading material.
There's an old saying: "Diagnosis beside prescription". It's best to determine what you want to achieve and then find the best product to achieve that outcome.
JQ

cyco1450

• Elite CVO Member
  • Cheaper to keep her...
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO RG Black Earth/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO SG - sold
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 02:55:22 PM »

i've detailed cars and bikes for years. the list literally goes from A to Zymol. if you clean your bike after every ride, you need a "cleaner wax" product about once a year. but to keep it shiny and bright all the time, i've been using a carnuba wax called "Gliptone".  bought it at a classic car show and one of the best i've ever come across.  any of the sprays usually has silicone in it which breaks down and thru waxes. 
once you have a few coats of wax on bike, you can literally shine it with a spray bottle of plain water and a really good quality polishing towel.
2018 CVO RG Black Earth
2007 CVO Springer Amarillo Gold 1 of 398
2003 100th Ann FLSTCI
2001 CVO Switchblade
1999 Dyna WG Zippers 107
1997 Heritage Springer Ol’ Boy
1997 Fat Boy Street Stalker 1 of 1
1993 Heritage Softail Cow Glide #1109
1990 Fat Boy Grey Ghost 1st year
1977 FLH Restomod
1977 XLCR
1971 FX Night Train!

Page created in 0.543 seconds with 21 queries.