Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I get the gold/brown discoloration off my pipes?  (Read 2582 times)

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
How can I get the gold/brown discoloration off my pipes?
« on: September 12, 2014, 07:12:40 AM »

Had a dyno run that turned a section of my pipes golden brown. I've heard of Blue Job but don't know if that's the best solution. Anyone ever had success restoring chrome pipes after they turned like this?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:14:33 AM by RoadDawg »
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: How can I get the gold/brown discoloration off my pipes?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 07:47:23 AM »

I feel your pain.  My muffler did that after my last dyno run.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 09:48:26 AM »

I used Blue Job on the rear cylinder heat shields on my '07 with good success the first time. The bluing kept coming back and after a few times with the Blue Job the chrome started looking dull. Can't say it was the product or just a result of too much heat too many times though.

Rogerthat

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2 Road King
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE Street Glide
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 06:39:20 AM »

At Lowes, Home Depot or your local ACE Hardware store pick up a loaf of 0000 steel wool. Lube it up with a watery solution of Blew Job (Not a Paste) and polish away. You will find that the steel wool will also polish your chrome better than any product on the market. If in doubt test on a area first. To get the road wheel grime from those hard to reach places use Spray and Wash, the hand pump bottle works best. After the grime is gone polish away with the S-100 on the motor first then the bike paint and chrome. The spray and wash will not harm paint...

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 10:32:34 PM »

Semichrome paste works also.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 11:33:30 AM »

That sucks...this happened to me on a dyno tune also and Blue Job did the job.  I bought some extra pad and put them pad on my hand sander and it did a great job.(I think there is a youtube video on this)  Be sure to use a lot of the pounder/paste.

Since then, whenever I have my bike tuned.....I talk to the tuner and discuss how they manage the engine temp during the tune and if they don't have a plan....I walk.

The last guy that tuned my bike has an assistance that kept on shooting the pipes and cylinders with a infrared temperature gun and when they got to hot they would let the fans cool the it down before the next pull.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 11:47:51 AM »

That is burned chrome, you can bring it back a few times but eventually it will just get dull, and brown. Happens all the time, you pay hundreds for someone to not pay attention when he is getting the pipes to hot.
Have a friend in the chrome business, stay AWAY from ever using any grade steel wool on chrome, It, puts micro scratches in the chrome, this caused small etches which gradually spread and the chrome will fail, slowly but certainly. Old timers remember using steel wool on 57 chev bumpers with success but this was a different process that was much more durable than a chrome piece of exh pipe or alum wheel or fork tube. Your parts but steel wool will pre-maturely deteriorate the finish.

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 25 queries.