Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Harmon radio replacement  (Read 2701 times)

symfrog

Harmon radio replacement
« on: October 10, 2019, 08:53:11 PM »

hello,  I have a 2013 cvo electra glide and the radio is going off and on. if i manipulate the dash audio switch, sometimes it will come back on. the radio illuminates, but no sound. i know it is likely the radio and not the audio switch. is there a better radio which will still work with the handlebar controls, factory amp and have speed controlled volume? iron cross audio charges $250.00 plus to refurbish the factory radio. are there better options?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
Re: Harmon radio replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 11:11:41 PM »

Just about any head unit will work with a steering wheel control module...I used Scoshe brand with my JVC stereo and all of my hand controls work just like they did with the factory unit.  Only downside is most aftermarket Head units aren’t waterproof but that is easily fixed with a cover.  I used the biketronics cover and really like it.  Still can’t go crazy with the water hose around it when washing but it works well enough that I don’t worry about being caught out in the rain.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 11:18:53 PM by SIKBIRD »

symfrog

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 12:03:39 AM »

thanks for the reply, I was hoping for something water resistant or water proof. I'd be unhappy to spend money on a new radio only to have the dealer ruin it when they detail my bike.

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 07:19:53 AM »

As stated in your first post, you did check into Iron Cross and if you are wanting to keep things as stock as possible, that's a great option.  Thing is, it's like lipstick on a pig...that $250 charge may freshen up the stock HK but you're still stuck with the pig that will eventually do it again.  However, if you plan to trade or sell at some point, that $250 should get you through for a while...Iron Cross does good work

There are lots of marine/waterproof options out there that fit.  Crutchfield has a LOT of options and reasonable.  I've ordered from them many times over the years (most recently speakers for my '15).
https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/waterproof_receiver.html#&nvpair=FFCategory

Someone here on the site mentioned a wiring harness (and it may be from Iron Cross) that allows for changing the head unit while keeping the handlebar controls.  You'd have to search OR maybe someone will chime in.

Good luck with the effort and keep us posted on your progress... :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 07:21:29 AM by Haird »

Sea Biscuit

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 09:56:15 AM »

If you want plug and play and waterproof, try this...not cheap but is anything relating to Harley?! :)

Oh, and you don’t need a cover...bonus!

https://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/pmx-hd9813/
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 09:58:08 AM by Sea Biscuit »

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 12:36:29 PM »

I wanted to keep everything stock so I went with the Iron Cross repair but what ever you decide to do I highly recommend you check the 4 faring brackets. 3 out of the 4 brackets were cracked on my bike. Under warranty the dealership replaced 8 head units on my bike. Not once did they check the brackets that looking at the rust were cracked for years. So does not matter what head unit you get if the brackets are cracked. The head unit will just vibrate a part.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 12:40:38 PM »

I replaced my metal brackets with these nylon ones from Armstrong. They flex so no chance of cracking like the metal brackets. On hot days while at a stop the faring will shake more than the metal ones but so far the radio has held up for more than a year after the Iron Cross repair.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 12:42:42 PM »

Armstrong also claims they can support more weight than the metal ones for amps and ect. I still have the stock set up.

symfrog

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 09:59:55 PM »

I don't see anything compatible with the factory amp. Rockford fosgate specifically states not compatible with factory amplified systems. I was hoping to upgrade, but may just have iron cross fix mine.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 10:03:51 PM »

Check around the bike forums and eBay, you may find a used one cheap.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Sea Biscuit

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 10:16:33 PM »

I don't see anything compatible with the factory amp. Rockford fosgate specifically states not compatible with factory amplified systems. I was hoping to upgrade, but may just have iron cross fix mine.

Well, if you are going to stick with the factory amp and that is your requirement, stick with the stock Harmon unit and go the Iron Cross repair.

But in my humble opinion, there is so much out there that is a lot better than the stock Harley sound system.

symfrog

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 10:30:43 PM »

I'm not bound to the factory head unit and amp, I recently upgraded the speakers to boom stage 2 and the ohm rating on the speakers limits audio choices.

Sea Biscuit

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 10:04:39 AM »

Since you already are using the Harley Boom stage 2 speakers, stick with Iron Cross for the repair on the Harley HK head unit. At this stage, this will be your most cost effective option.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 10:12:47 AM by Sea Biscuit »

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 11:32:36 AM »

If you are going the Ironcross route you may want to check out other options they offer such as Bluetooth and low voltage rca outputs. The rca outputs will give you more options when you get tired of replacing blown Boom speakers. HD speakers are junk and that is why they are not covered under ESP.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

symfrog

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 08:49:51 PM »

I discovered a refurbish deal on Ebay from Iron Cross, $165.00 plus shipping to fix my HK. I would have to spend a lot more with any other options and they will update the software and make the radio more vibration resistant. I also plan on thoroughly inspecting the fairing supports. Thanks for all the information.

2007CUSE

• First Big Cruiser
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2019, 07:36:23 AM »

Hey guys.. lots of good info here...

So I have a 2007 FLHTCUSE2, and would like to upgrade the stock HK head unit, looking at the Aquatics AQ-MP-5UBT-HS.  According to the Aquatics website, the stock amp would be invalid because the Aquatics head unit doesn't use the amp jacks.  So does it just pass through the amp to the rear speakers?

New at this, so keep in mind, not quite a techie yet (hate the word "newbie/n00b").
Lola
2007 FLHTCUSE2
4" Rinehart slip-ons

Lolita
1997 Sportster Hugger 883
Fat Bob Kit
Straight pipes / Reverb Cones

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2019, 01:11:14 PM »

Hey guys.. lots of good info here...

So I have a 2007 FLHTCUSE2, and would like to upgrade the stock HK head unit, looking at the Aquatics AQ-MP-5UBT-HS.  According to the Aquatics website, the stock amp would be invalid because the Aquatics head unit doesn't use the amp jacks.  So does it just pass through the amp to the rear speakers?

New at this, so keep in mind, not quite a techie yet (hate the word "newbie/n00b").

On the 07 you need to remove the amp and overlay harness from the bike. Then the AQ unit will be plug and play with the exception of the rear speakers, they will need to be wired. You will however loose all intercom, CB, GPS, and XM features of the stock system.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 01:12:55 PM by hd-dude »

2007CUSE

• First Big Cruiser
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2019, 03:51:48 PM »

Thanks for clarifying that for me HDdude!

The CB, GPS, and even the XM radio is not that big of a deal for me, it's the functionality of the rear speakers that I'm more worried about. If I read your response correctly, you're saying that the wiring harness that feeds the amp would have to be removed and you would have to run wire for the speakers on the rear backrest? So it's not simple plug and play, there is some footwork you gotta do to make the rear speakers functional.
Lola
2007 FLHTCUSE2
4" Rinehart slip-ons

Lolita
1997 Sportster Hugger 883
Fat Bob Kit
Straight pipes / Reverb Cones

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2019, 04:14:27 PM »

On the 07 you need to remove the amp and overlay harness from the bike. Then the AQ unit will be plug and play with the exception of the rear speakers, they will need to be wired. You will however loose all intercom, CB, GPS, and XM features of the stock system.

do you know of any aftermarket units that will work with the overlay and use the HD amps and all speakers?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2019, 06:56:16 PM »

Thanks for clarifying that for me HDdude!

The CB, GPS, and even the XM radio is not that big of a deal for me, it's the functionality of the rear speakers that I'm more worried about. If I read your response correctly, you're saying that the wiring harness that feeds the amp would have to be removed and you would have to run wire for the speakers on the rear backrest? So it's not simple plug and play, there is some footwork you gotta do to make the rear speakers functional.

The overlay harness is an add on that HD did at the factory for the CVO. It is easily removed. When removed you plug in the wires that are at the speaker locations as if it were a non cvo ultra. I did a How-to on this several years back.....i'll try to find it.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2019, 07:00:32 PM »

do you know of any aftermarket units that will work with the overlay and use the HD amps and all speakers?

For your 13'? It is completely different than the above bikes. Hawg-wired does make a plug that you install at the harness when you remove the amp to allow the signals to get through.

https://hawg-wired.com/product_info.php/cPath/67/pPath/214

Using this you could remove the amps then run the Aquatic AV head unit

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2019, 08:23:34 AM »

i was hoping for a solution that would utilize the existing harness/amps. makes my decision of send the HK to ironcross in the spring or go aftermarket an easy one. 

thanks for the info
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2019, 03:27:24 PM »

biketronics.com also has some very good solutions. They are a great company to work with Neal and give a lifetime warranty.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

symfrog

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2019, 10:37:51 PM »

Update, I got the radio back from Iron Cross and everything works fine. I did find out the previous owner had left a CD in the player and Iron Cross stated it could have contributed to diminished dampening which damaged the circuit board.

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 24 queries.