Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Poor XM Reception  (Read 2828 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Thanks for XM Help
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2019, 11:46:21 PM »

Just a note to express my appreciation for those who responded to my earlier post about poor XM reception on my 2017 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO.  The advice was to relocate the XM antenna from inside the fairing to just behind the windshield to the right of the fairing vent.

I finally got around to doing that and it has made a world of difference in reception.  No more lost signals and the XM reception is now just as good as that in my Jeep Cherokee.

This location behind the windshield to the right of the fairing vent is perfect; there is just enough wire with the XM antenna to make the relocation an easy task.  I'm now a happy XM listener !!!

Glad it worked for you. This forum is a great resource for problem solving - this forum is where I found the fix for my 2010 XM antenna issue.  I also used a dremel to make a small groove for the wire to keep it from crimping, might not be necessary depending on how tight the fitment is on the inner fairing at that point.

We have a couple of vehicles with Sirius & enjoy the service mostly for the music.  On the bike I got tired of the drops since quite a bit of the local riding I do is in heavily forested areas & the reception is terrible on the bike but good/acceptable in the truck & car.   
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Poor XM Reception
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2019, 08:08:22 AM »

It's a shame Harley never addressed the issues their chosen location for the XM antenna created, but at least this is one of the Harley issues that is easy to fix.  Going forward it will be up to the customer to decide where they want to place the antenna, since it appears Harley will no longer be installing XM modules in production.

As for Sirius/XM itself, everyone has their own opinion as to the service and it's offerings.  Mine is that as the years go by there is more meaningless chatter on the music only stations, to the point that at times it's worse than local over the air FM.  One example is the Blend, which was all music except for a very occasional short ad for the station or XM itself.  Now they have Debbie Gibson running her mouth while playing her favorite picks, which irritates me to no end.  If I wanted talk radio I can get tons of that crap for free locally over AM or FM. 

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bobs14Limited

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2019, 08:59:46 PM »

It's a shame Harley never addressed the issues their chosen location for the XM antenna created, but at least this is one of the Harley issues that is easy to fix.  Going forward it will be up to the customer to decide where they want to place the antenna, since it appears Harley will no longer be installing XM modules in production.

As for Sirius/XM itself, everyone has their own opinion as to the service and it's offerings.  Mine is that as the years go by there is more meaningless chatter on the music only stations, to the point that at times it's worse than local over the air FM.  One example is the Blend, which was all music except for a very occasional short ad for the station or XM itself.  Now they have Debbie Gibson running her mouth while playing her favorite picks, which irritates me to no end.  If I wanted talk radio I can get tons of that crap for free locally over AM or FM. 

JMHO - Jerry

Agree with everything you mentioned. If I could get good FM reception, I'd scrap XM. But with all the canyons and mountains here, FM is just unusable.

17 StreetGlide CVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2019, 06:04:31 AM »

Moved my XM antenna to up top and right of the vent. 150 miles later not one drop out, thanks for the great tip!

68 XLCH

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 09:00:18 AM »

I have the XM/Sirrus app on my phone.  And since they now have Pandora, I set up my own music using my computer and those stations are available on my iphone.

I have about 5 stations set up one for real Doo Wop, ie students, penguins, moonglows etc. not the 50's channel which kinda of sucks half the time, one for guitar jazz, mellow jazz jazz fusion, standard vocals, one for classic rock that i like etc.  I keep my iphone in the saddle bag or my jacket and it never cuts out, same roads, same trees etc. 5 dollars a month and every song is a good one.

So you can use the app your phone, computer and listen to the artists/specific music, talk shows you like anywhere.
2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Merc/Smoky Qtz Flames, Stage 1, Fulsac pipes, V&H 450's, Passing Lights, CD front turn Signals.

Retired Army and State Police

Bobs14Limited

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2019, 08:43:56 PM »

I have the XM/Sirrus app on my phone.  And since they now have Pandora, I set up my own music using my computer and those stations are available on my iphone.

I have about 5 stations set up one for real Doo Wop, ie students, penguins, moonglows etc. not the 50's channel which kinda of sucks half the time, one for guitar jazz, mellow jazz jazz fusion, standard vocals, one for classic rock that i like etc.  I keep my iphone in the saddle bag or my jacket and it never cuts out, same roads, same trees etc. 5 dollars a month and every song is a good one.

So you can use the app your phone, computer and listen to the artists/specific music, talk shows you like anywhere.

Sounds good, well as long as you can continue to receive a cell signal and have an unlimited data rate plan.

GB506

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2019, 08:48:48 PM »

Sounds good, well as long as you can continue to receive a cell signal and have an unlimited data rate plan.

Funny how the best riding is so often out of cell range...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 25 queries.