Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Verdict in on 54's  (Read 1822 times)

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
Verdict in on 54's
« on: February 22, 2010, 07:35:34 PM »

I finally pulled the trigger on the stage 2 kit from Fullsac along with the gearing change. Let me state that Steve has been a great help in the process and I have no baseline on the stock 09 SERG. Put the stage one in some time back, non cat head pipe, 2.0 baffles and the mastertune map from Steve. Numbers were not that great (86hp and 104tq ) so after a while I decide to try the cams, gasket and new map. Put it in at the Harley store and the dyo pulls managed 97 hp and 106 on the torque. Engine appears to start easier, don't know about the heat yet but I did pick up some rattling when I rode it hard for 5 miles or so and then just put putted around. Same noise it made last year when it was hot. The A/F numbers look good to me so I guess I'm stuck with what I've got. The power band is wider than it was and it pulls farther into the rpm range with the additional hp. Did I say I was really dissapointed in the torque numbers! I not sure what my options are short of buying a tuner and some more dyno time, but I would have thought the map from Steve should have been good unless we did something wrong. Any suggestions?????

Now to the gearing change..... all I can say is WOW!!!!!!! Wish I had done this when I bought the bike. With the Andrews 30T and a new belt it really wakes the bike up. When you shift from gear to gear you are always in the power band (3000 RPMS AND UP). Roll ons on the highway are really cool. Looks like the spedo is 3-4 mps off, not sure if I will worry abou it or not. Rode for a couple of hours yesterday and it feels like a new bike 2 up. Pulls off with no effort and feels great. I am 278 lbs and the wife is 125 lbs. Would I do this again, yes in a heartbeat!! I hope this helps you guys on the fence and maybe someone out there has a suggestion to get me to the 115-118 tq I expected to get.

Mike

Scotty

• Full CVO Member
  • Scotty's Road Glide
Re: Verdict in on 54's
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 07:45:51 PM »

I am not one of the experts on this forum but....I think the 54's need a little more compression then you are getting with just the gasket.
09 SERG
Andrews 54 Cams
SE Heavy Breather
V&H Power Duals
Fullsac 2.0 Baffles
Heads by "Freds Heads"
SE Pro Super Tuner

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:20:49 AM »

I am not one of the experts on this forum but....I think the 54's need a little more compression then you are getting with just the gasket.
Maybe, I was really disapointed that I didn't gain any tq  with the cams. Hp gain was good just thought I would gain 10 lbs on the tq side??

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 10:01:40 AM »

I think you're right. They work better in the 103" Limited's with the higher compression.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 10:36:46 AM »

I finally pulled the trigger on the stage 2 kit from Fullsac along with the gearing change. Let me state that Steve has been a great help in the process and I have no baseline on the stock 09 SERG. Put the stage one in some time back, non cat head pipe, 2.0 baffles and the mastertune map from Steve. Numbers were not that great (86hp and 104tq ) so after a while I decide to try the cams, gasket and new map. Put it in at the Harley store and the dyo pulls managed 97 hp and 106 on the torque. Engine appears to start easier, don't know about the heat yet but I did pick up some rattling when I rode it hard for 5 miles or so and then just put putted around. Same noise it made last year when it was hot. The A/F numbers look good to me so I guess I'm stuck with what I've got. The power band is wider than it was and it pulls farther into the rpm range with the additional hp. Did I say I was really dissapointed in the torque numbers! I not sure what my options are short of buying a tuner and some more dyno time, but I would have thought the map from Steve should have been good unless we did something wrong. Any suggestions?????

Now to the gearing change..... all I can say is WOW!!!!!!! Wish I had done this when I bought the bike. With the Andrews 30T and a new belt it really wakes the bike up. When you shift from gear to gear you are always in the power band (3000 RPMS AND UP). Roll ons on the highway are really cool. Looks like the spedo is 3-4 mps off, not sure if I will worry abou it or not. Rode for a couple of hours yesterday and it feels like a new bike 2 up. Pulls off with no effort and feels great. I am 278 lbs and the wife is 125 lbs. Would I do this again, yes in a heartbeat!! I hope this helps you guys on the fence and maybe someone out there has a suggestion to get me to the 115-118 tq I expected to get.

Mike

I thought you HAD a tuner???
You are right, the numbers could be a little better with you combo. Maybe some dyno time is in order?
Give Steve a call first, there may be something in your tune that is holding back the TQ numbers.
 :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:38:49 AM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 10:46:33 AM »

I do, the one Steve sent me. I've talked to him but not much to say other than it might be the dyno. I find it hard to believe that the difference from stage 1 (which was low) to stage 2 is 10 hp and 2 lb/lbs of tq.

Mike

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 10:53:36 AM »

I do, the one Steve sent me. I've talked to him but not much to say other than it might be the dyno. I find it hard to believe that the difference from stage 1 (which was low) to stage 2 is 10 hp and 2 lb/lbs of tq.

Mike

I have seen some members here get ABOUT 10/10 with each upgrade:
tune and open exhaust and intake.
54's a little boost in CR and better tune.
It just seems yours is on the low side, but, there again my new 103 also pulled a little low, even on the baseline BEFORE any mods.
Maybe you have a "Monday" bike, like mine??
HOGMIKE

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 10:58:48 AM »

I have seen some members here get ABOUT 10/10 with each upgrade:
tune and open exhaust and intake.
54's a little boost in CR and better tune.
It just seems yours is on the low side, but, there again my new 103 also pulled a little low, even on the baseline BEFORE any mods.
Maybe you have a "Monday" bike, like mine??
Could be, just doesn't make any sense that I would only pick up 2 ft/lbs with the cams and new tune. Not worth the money spent in my opinion.

Mike

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 11:10:17 AM »

Could be, just doesn't make any sense that I would only pick up 2 ft/lbs with the cams and new tune. Not worth the money spent in my opinion.

Mike

Gotta be something wrong. Cams and new tune SHOULD see about 8-10 increase in HP and TQ.
Gotta get some of the experts to chime in on that.
I'm just looking at what others get with your combo, but, I'm probably missing something.
HOGMIKE

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »

Thanks for the input.

Mike

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SEUC Red & Black
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 11:26:42 AM »

I put the 54's in my bike and the numbers actually went down form the 255's even after a dyno tune. So I put the 255's back in. To be fair I did not touch the headgasket, I did a straight bolt in with adjustable pushrods. I had severe cylinder leaking issues on my first engine so I did not want to take a chance on leaking. I figure the issues are with the compression. The 54's seem to work well for some engines but mine was not one of them.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 11:48:52 AM »

I put the 54's in my bike and the numbers actually went down form the 255's even after a dyno tune. So I put the 255's back in. To be fair I did not touch the headgasket, I did a straight bolt in with adjustable pushrods. I had severe cylinder leaking issues on my first engine so I did not want to take a chance on leaking. I figure the issues are with the compression. The 54's seem to work well for some engines but mine was not one of them.
I did the gasket on mine but it really doesn't make any difference in the compression just a better seal?

Mike

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.