Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: New HD Naked Sport Bike & Adventure Bike  (Read 5022 times)

mark

New HD Naked Sport Bike & Adventure Bike
« on: November 06, 2019, 12:58:07 PM »

HD showed its proposed adventure (Pan America) and naked sport (Bronx) bike at EICMA:

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 01:00:42 PM by Mark »

mark

Re: New HD Naked Sport Bike & Adventure Bike
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 12:59:55 PM »

Bronx naked sport:

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 01:25:50 PM »

HD showed its proposed adventure (Pan America) and naked sport (Bronx) bike at EICMA:

I like the looks of the Pan America but I'm not sure I'd like riding it standing up all the time...that might get old quick  ;D :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :bananarock:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 01:34:57 PM »

I like the looks of the Pan America but I'm not sure I'd like riding it standing up all the time...that might get old quick  ;D :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :bananarock:

I'd rather ride standing up than on a sport bike naked through the Bronx.     :drummer: :'( :drink: 8)
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 01:47:16 PM »

I'd rather ride standing up than on a sport bike naked through the Bronx.     :drummer: :'( :drink: 8)

Yep...

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 02:53:04 PM »

Harley will have stiff competition in these two categories. There competitive advantage is the dealer network and brand name.

The big question; will traditional Harley customers buy a adventure bike? Will a traditional adventure bike rider that rides a BMW GS, KTM, Honda, Yamaha, on and on switch to the new Harley? Will Harley underprice there new bikes to buy market share? Will Harleys new Adventure bike be better than the competition in performance, handling, brakes, technology and features?

If the answer to these questions is probably not, how big will there market share be? Hopefully these won't be like the Livewire. A great electric bike but not competitive with those that have experience in this market.

In my opinion; Harley should spend R&D on there touring line, start with your top selling bikes, don't let Indian keep stealing sales. But what do I know

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

mark

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 04:32:52 PM »

Here's my two cents to the MoCo on introducing a naked sport and adventure bike to their line up.  In order to peel away riders from established brands in those two categories, you've got to offer 1) something better and 2) at a lower price.  HD has never done that.  If what we saw with the Livewire is any indication, these bikes will be premium priced, so they'll have to outperform the field to sell.

Triumph, KTM, Ducati, BMW, and the metrics are all well established in these categories, so now is not the time for HD to fumble and get mediocre reviews on these bikes. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 07:21:02 PM »

Yep...

Yep, for sure.  Indoobieably.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 07:23:55 PM »

I still kick myself for not grabbing a Ulysses when the opportunity existed for less than 50% of sticker.  Too much of a concern over a total failure to being able to support and maintain the bike way too soon it was kept me from it.  At that price it could have been fun though.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 08:39:32 PM »

Harley will have stiff competition in these two categories. There competitive advantage is the dealer network and brand name.

The big question; will traditional Harley customers buy a adventure bike? Will a traditional adventure bike rider that rides a BMW GS, KTM, Honda, Yamaha, on and on switch to the new Harley? Will Harley underprice there new bikes to buy market share? Will Harleys new Adventure bike be better than the competition in performance, handling, brakes, technology and features?

If the answer to these questions is probably not, how big will there market share be? Hopefully these won't be like the Livewire. A great electric bike but not competitive with those that have experience in this market.

In my opinion; Harley should spend R&D on there touring line, start with your top selling bikes, don't let Indian keep stealing sales. But what do I know

I have been looking at an Adventure bike for two years now.  I have been putting some money away to try to get one with out getting rid of my CVO bikes.  I will be very interested in the Pan America if it is cost competitive with the GS, and is close in performance.  It's coming out about the same time as the Indian FTR adventure bike.  The FTR is a sweet machine, very nice motor, good suspension and electronics. 

HD has some very stiff competition in the Adventure market.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 12:55:03 AM »

I have been looking at an Adventure bike for two years now.  I have been putting some money away to try to get one with out getting rid of my CVO bikes.  I will be very interested in the Pan America if it is cost competitive with the GS, and is close in performance.  It's coming out about the same time as the Indian FTR adventure bike.  The FTR is a sweet machine, very nice motor, good suspension and electronics. 

Your right, very stiff. BMW sells more adventure bikes than any manufacturer in the world. The new 1250GS is something else, they say. They offer 4 GS models with additional options. Prices start around $6000 and go up from there.

Enough said, with many, many years perfecting Adventure bikes, how is Harley going to compete with BMW in this market? Let alone all the other fine brands.

I wish HD the best but really wonder what they are thinking. Like the Livewire???

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 08:15:03 AM »

Not terribly familiar with this type of bike, does a Naked Sport Bike mean you have to ride it naked?  Should we restrict it's sale to nubile women? 

Jerry :confused5:
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 08:28:00 AM »

Not terribly familiar with this type of bike, does a Naked Sport Bike mean you have to ride it naked?  Should we restrict it's sale to nubile women? 

Jerry :confused5:

Back in The Good Old Days, nekkid wimens were all over the place at bike rallies, including riding bikes.  Nowadays communities have fines for that kind of stuff & have squeezed some of the fun out of life.  At first was hopeful that this nekkid Harley was an attempt to return to when gals let it all hang out.  After reading a bit, it seems to be some newfangled bike deal for younger whippersnappers than me & the only thing naked that I can figure is their bank accounts after they buy one of these BMW wannabes.   :nixweiss:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

mark

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 09:41:29 AM »

I just bought a '17 Ducati Monster 1200S...used with 1,000 mi on the odometer and $4k worth of add-ons.  Looks brand new.  I'm not sure with the saturated used market I'd buy a new second or third bike...there are so many barely ridden bikes for sale.  I've thought about an adventure, but will look for that used low mileage crème-puff.     

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 05:00:41 AM »

Like Forest always said ... "Stupid is as stupid does". I guess Mother Harley didn't learn after the Dudwire. Now they want to add a Dirt Glide and naked bike to the list?
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 24 queries.