Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Tunes went by by today.  (Read 5061 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: Tunes went by by today.
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 01:36:30 PM »

It actually makes very little difference in sound quality. I prefer the speaker-level connection as the H/K pre-out connection generally requires a lot of gain to be added to whatever amp you are using in order to get an acceptable volume range.

What pre-amps are you referring to?
ICA does not install pre-amps ... they provide an available low-level, pre-out connection.
Low Level, Pre-Out & PreAmp have always meant the same thing to me ~ Bypassing the internal amplifier of the Head Unit?

I'm 100% with Copyless on this one; "The pre-amps that you are having IC Audio install, will be the best money you can spend on the HU, besides having it fixed. I really think that most every HU on the '13's and back should be modified by IC for the weak spots and also have the pre-amps installed, as these alone will change improve the quality of the sound drastically."

The preamps bypass the internal amplifier section of the HK, which has always sounded "muddy" to me.

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 02:53:48 PM »

The preamps bypass the internal amplifier section of the HK, which has always sounded "muddy" to me.

What speakers were you using with the H/K internal amp?

I have pre-outs on my unit and tested 6 different amps using both the pre-outs and speaker level outs. It makes no difference in sound quality. If I had two systems side by side and the same amp/speaker setup on each you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two.

Guarranteed.

However, the HK unit produces pretty low output voltage when using the pre-outs so more gain on an amp is required. On some amps, applying more than 50-60% gain results in degraded sound quality
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 03:41:39 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

ArmyChief

• CVO1: 2013 SERG Anv
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 05:52:44 PM »

Not sure if I follow you equipment, but I had a similar issue just yesterday (4/18/15) while 100 miles into a 300 mile ride. 

2013 CVO Road Glide, with standard H/K head unit, Hawg Wired amp and speakers up front and stock Boom Audio amp and speakers in the saddle bag lids.

Without warning, the volume reduced by about 80% and the sound that was coming out (front and rear) sounded like it was in a tin can. About 10 minutes later, no sound.  The display on the head unit worked, but no sound.  I toggled between iPod, and radio and there was no sound.

This morning, I go to fire it up and I have sound.  I put it in gear, make it about 100 meters and my sound dropped by about 80% again.  Drove straight to the dealer (still under factory warranty).  While there, the volume would increase, decrease and drop completely with no one touching the bike.

Hopefully, as it'd under warranty the H/U will be replaced.  I imagine the dealer will find a way to balk.  If so, I know there are a ton of options, but are there aftermarket units that will keep all my hand controls, to include the integrated iPod?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 08:36:50 PM »

What speakers were you using with the H/K internal amp?

I have pre-outs on my unit and tested 6 different amps using both the pre-outs and speaker level outs. It makes no difference in sound quality. If I had two systems side by side and the same amp/speaker setup on each you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two.

Guarranteed.

However, the HK unit produces pretty low output voltage when using the pre-outs so more gain on an amp is required. On some amps, applying more than 50-60% gain results in degraded sound quality

OE then I changed to J&M Rokker speakers on the '09 SERG...

ICA HK Preamp Outs produce 3 Volts

Why do all high end Aftermarket HUs have preamp outs ???
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 12:49:16 PM »

OE then I changed to J&M Rokker speakers on the '09 SERG...

ICA HK Preamp Outs produce 3 Volts

Why do all high end Aftermarket HUs have preamp outs ???

Get some good speakers and a solid amp and you will never hear the difference between the two. It has sounded "muddy" to you because of the speakers you were using and the fact that the H/K is under-powered for driving a good set of speakers - not because it is a poor amplified signal. You can get pretty amazing sound using a good amp and speakers without using pre-outs.

I'm not saying it isn't worth doing ... just that it will make little to no discernible difference in what you ultimately hear provided the amps are setup properly in the system.

High end head units have them because ideally it is the best setup when a unit is engineered to have them. Most will output between 4-5 volts (max 3 volts is considered pretty low). The H/K was never designed or engineered to have pre-outs but they can be added.

BTW ... even the pre-outs that are added by ICA is an amplified reference. So you are never completely bypassing the internal amplifier of the H/K. If you don't believe me - call Tony at ICA and ask him.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 12:55:57 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.