Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Electra Glo LED Saddlebag lights - no turn signal when brakes applied  (Read 5436 times)

CaptRat

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO RGU

In preparation for making the tour pak detachable on my '16 RGU, I installed Harley's Electra Glo LED Saddlebag lights (kit # 67800451 for FLTRUSE.) They're a simple plug and play install but (so far) don't seem to function as described in the P&A catalog.

The run, brake, and turn signals all function perfectly and add lots of light out back.  But when the brakes are applied with a turn signal engaged, the light stops flashing and goes to a steady brake light. I thought maybe I had the wrong wiring harness, but imprinted on the wiring harness modulator is the correct part number (69200949A.) So I stopped at my local dealer and we tried another harness (same part number) with the same result as before.

I saw these lights on some bikes in Daytona last week and they function as you'd expect, i.e. you still have a turn signal with the brakes applied.

Anyone else experience this problem or have any knowledge about these lights?

Thanks in advance.

Rat
Rat

2016 FLTRUSE, Ruby Red/Palladium Silver, Jackpot exhaust/slipons, Heads ported & polished, Powervision, Target Tune.
2008 FLHTCU, Candy Red Sunglo, 110", Rinehart true duals, massive chrome, 66,000 miles (traded)
2004 FLHTCUI, Lava Red Sunglo, 95", V&H true duals, 57,500 miles (traded)
2000 FLHR, Luxury Rich Red/Vivid Black, 95", Baker 6 speed, V&H exhaust, 37,500 miles (sold)

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
Re: Electra Glo LED Saddlebag lights - no turn signal when brakes applied
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 09:09:13 PM »

Mine work correctly but I would think if two different wire harnesses gave the same result,  the problem would be that the connector is pinned wrong on the bike side. Check the color code of the wires at the connector and their place vs the schematic. I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time a wire got installed in the wrong slot.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

CaptRat

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 10:52:49 PM »

Check the color code of the wires at the connector and their place vs the schematic. I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time a wire got installed in the wrong slot.

Yeah, good point. I'll take a look tomorrow. I'm not sure how a wire in the wrong slot would allow everything else to work right, but it's definitely worth a look see.
Rat

2016 FLTRUSE, Ruby Red/Palladium Silver, Jackpot exhaust/slipons, Heads ported & polished, Powervision, Target Tune.
2008 FLHTCU, Candy Red Sunglo, 110", Rinehart true duals, massive chrome, 66,000 miles (traded)
2000 FLHR, Luxury Rich Red/Vivid Black, 95", Baker 6 speed, V&H exhaust, 37,500 miles (sold)

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 10:48:14 AM »

You may have to go to HD and have the BCM reprogrammed as you can change the functions of the rear lights on 14 and up.

CaptRat

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 11:06:42 AM »

I checked the bike side connector wiring this morning and it matches the FLTRUSE Service Manual Supplement.

You may have to go to HD and have the BCM reprogrammed as you can change the functions of the rear lights on 14 and up.

When I was at the dealer yesterday about the problem, there were two techs and the service manager scratching their heads and plugging and unplugging connectors. There was a mention of the BCM but no mention of reprogramming.

They're going to call the MoCo tomorrow morning and see what they say. Weren't some of the recalls last year related to the BCM?
Rat

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 11:17:55 AM »

Dealer changed mine last week I now have brake lights on all rear lights including the turn signals which I changed over to LED's.

CaptRat

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 06:30:47 PM »

I stopped in to a different dealer in my area today and asked the tech on duty about reprogramming the BCM.  He said he didn't think that's one of the functions that can be reprogrammed.

However, he thought that the Y-harness they have listed for the FLTRUSE (69200949A) is wrong and that it should be the same Y-harness as for a non-CVO FLTRU (also FLHTCU, FLHTCUL, etc.) with a lone brake light and turn signals on a fixed tour pak (part number 69200779A.)  The first bike listed for part number 69200949A is an FLHR, which has a rear turn signal light bar.

What he said kind of makes sense. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow when my service manager calls the MoCo about it.
Rat

CaptRat

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 04:19:29 PM »

Ok, so here's the rest of the story.....

My service manager called Harley and they told him that's the way the lights are supposed to work. I threw the BS flag and reminded him that they sell these lights as a replacement for the tour-pak turn signals in the kit to convert a rigid tour-pak bike to a detachable tour-pak bike. I also told him about what the tech at the other dealer had mentioned about the P&A catalog and the instruction sheet looked wrong.

So he called the MoCo  back, and they said what the tech had said made sense and to order the other harness, try it and give them a call back. WTF??  Now I'm troubleshooting hardware for the MoCo? Anyway, my dealer ordered the other harness (69200779A.)

Here's the twist in the story.  I already had on hand the Detachables Tour-pak Conversion Kit (53000291A.) But as the lights included in the kit are red, I bought and installed a separate smoked lens kit on my CVO (kit 67800451.) As a result, I hadn't opened the conversion kit yet. (I'm giving the red lights from the conversion kit to my son for his '15 RK.) So I opened the conversion kit and sure enough the harness included is the 69200779A that's listed in the instructions for non-CVO bikes. I plugged it in and everything works like a charm.

I called my service manager back to let him know and he's calling the MoCo.

So the after action report is this: If you want an Electra Glo Saddlebag Run/Brake/Turn Lamp kit for your '15, '16 CVO that comes stock with a rigid tour pak, order kit #67800241 (red) or #67800242 (smoked) and not kits 67800449 or 67800451.... at least until they get the P&A catalog and the instruction's parts list errors corrected. I'm not sure if there's an error for the '14s as they have a rear turn signal bar.  Regardless, if you have a '15 or '16, check the part number on the harness before you pay for the kit.  It should be 69200779A and not 69200949A.

Hmmmm, I wonder if the MoCo will pay me a troubleshooting fee. 
Rat

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 08:47:19 PM »

Now you got me looking. My receipt says I got kit 67800451. I've had no problems with it. Now I need to go check the box in the garage and verify it all works like it should. ::)
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 09:10:05 PM »

Now you got me looking. My receipt says I got kit 67800451. I've had no problems with it. Now I need to go check the box in the garage and verify it all works like it should. ::)
Mine work as they should. I could not find the box to verify and I wasn't going to pull the seat tonight to check the harness for a part number. Makes me wonder if there is different programming between the '15 and '16 model years. However, rereading your latest post, my '15 does indeed have the TS bar that your '16 did not come with.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

CaptRat

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 11:08:25 PM »

Mine work as they should. I could not find the box to verify and I wasn't going to pull the seat tonight to check the harness for a part number. Makes me wonder if there is different programming between the '15 and '16 model years. However, rereading your latest post, my '15 does indeed have the TS bar that your '16 did not come with.

I think that's the difference. If you have the light bar then the 949A harness is the one you want. No light bar then it's the 779A harness. The problem is that the catalog lists '14 and up for 67800451 and that's definitely wrong for the '16s.
Rat

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.