Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: HD Garage door Opener on FLHXSE '16  (Read 5662 times)

kidney514

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • QC

HD Garage door Opener on FLHXSE '16
« on: June 03, 2016, 06:50:25 PM »

Hi!

I've read that Garage Door Transmitter are installed on CVO's is that true, how can someone check or find out?

Thanks

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: HD Garage door Opener on FLHXSE '16
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 07:24:23 PM »

They are/are not installed/included in all CVO's.. if you purchased your bike new than you should have this included - Remote Control Garage Door Opener Kit and you should have received item #14 in this parts breakdown list (page #15) - Remote Control Door Opener Kits and the transmitter should be already installed.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 07:32:10 PM »

Historically they've been installed as standard equipment only on fairing equipped CVO models, and in 2006 they further restricted it to the Ultra models.  So while a CVO Electra Glide Ultra or Limited, or a CVO Road Glide Ultra, comes with a garage door opener, the "sportier" models like the Street Glide, the Road Glide Custom,  or Road King do not.  To make a long story short, your 2016 CVO Street Glide does not come with a garage door opener.  You can buy the kit and install it (or have it installed), but IMHO there are much better alternatives to that ancient outdated technology.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

kidney514

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • QC

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 08:30:35 PM »

Ok so does anyone know how to install the transmitter on my CVO? The instruction talk about cvo and street glide, which one do I follow. I find the instruction confusing

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 09:57:40 PM »

Ok so does anyone know how to install the transmitter on my CVO? The instruction talk about cvo and street glide, which one do I follow. I find the instruction confusing

You need to follow the instructions for a 2014 and later Touring model, and look at the FLHX instructions, not the CVO. 

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Gkup

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 Street Glide
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 07:19:49 AM »

Jerry what are the alternatives you mentioned in your comment

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 08:52:59 AM »

Other companies like Flash-2-Pass offer a kit similar to the Harley unit, but my personal favorite method involves a simple modification to a standard remote for your GDO.  Open up the remote to access the printed circuit board, solder two wires to the pins for the activation switch, close up the remote and install it inside the fairing just like the transmitter Harley supplies in their kit.  Then run the wire to a simple momentary SPST switch you can mount wherever you like.  I mounted mine next to the Harley switch for the Aux (passing) lamps, you could choose a less obvious place if you like.  It works directly with the garage door opener and doesn't require a special receiver like the Harley setup, and the performance is vastly superior in terms of range.  My method just uses the internal battery to power the remote, but if someone wanted to get fancy they could also power the remote from the bike.  Considering how long a good lithium battery lasts in a remote, I just stuck with the simple method.

One issue that needs to be addressed is that the Harley kit is old tech and isn't set up to work with the latest openers that have multifunction wall controls.  It can be modified to work or you can buy an add-on product to make it work, but you can't just run the two wires from the Harley receiver directly to the opener like you could for the older openers.  There are several other threads around here detailing the issue with trying to use the Harley system with openers made by Chamberlain (they make them under their own name plus others like Liftmaster, Craftsman, etc.).  While it can be made to work, it doesn't work right out of the box and Harley needs to come out of the dark ages and have the system redesigned to work wirelessly with modern openers.  Kind of like Homelink in automobiles.

Jerry

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 02:34:15 PM »

Harley needs to come out of the dark ages and have the system redesigned to work wirelessly with modern openers.
Jerry
Wait a minute, they're solidly into the 20th century...what more could you want?   ;)
If you want peace, prepare for war.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 03:04:57 PM »

Wait a minute, they're solidly into the 20th century...what more could you want?   ;)

True, they only recently made it into the 20th century, so I suppose it is asking a bit much for them to make the leap to the 21st immediately.

Jerry ;)

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 05:09:28 PM »

Can I put two oh the HD openers on the same door? I have 2 CVO's and they both came with an opener but they both park behind the same garage door.

Or better yet can I program 2 different bikes to the same HD opener? That way I could sell the second HD opener!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 05:25:18 PM »

Can I put two oh the HD openers on the same door? I have 2 CVO's and they both came with an opener but they both park behind the same garage door.

Or better yet can I program 2 different bikes to the same HD opener? That way I could sell the second HD opener!
Yes you can link two bikes to the wall mounted receiver.  Only need one receiver and it will recognize two bikes - maybe more  :nixweiss: but for sure I've it has worked with both my bikes - no problem at all. :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 09:49:13 PM »

Yes you can link two bikes to the wall mounted receiver.  Only need one receiver and it will recognize two bikes - maybe more  :nixweiss: but for sure I've it has worked with both my bikes - no problem at all. :2vrolijk_21:

Ultrafxr thank you very much! now to just remember where I put that paperwork 3 years ago so I can figure out how to do this! LOL

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 08:28:22 AM »

You can program up to five bikes on one HD Receiver (opener).  I have five programed to one door.  Six will not work.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

ultrarider123

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 08:47:55 AM »

Or you could just go to Home Depot and purchase a spare "fob" style opener for $10, program it and put it in your pocket or, if you have a RG, in the faring bin.  Works just fine.... :2vrolijk_21:

When I had the SESG, I kept it with me either in a pocket or clipped to my belt loop.  To me, much easier to use and I'm not wearing out my headlight switch to open the garage.

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 08:52:41 AM »

I have one CVO bike connected to my home garage door but would like to open the garage door at my seasonal place as well. Can you open 2 different garage doors in 2 separate locations with one transmitter?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.