Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Shorty Antenna's for SEUC  (Read 5920 times)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
Shorty Antenna's for SEUC
« on: June 03, 2008, 12:33:02 PM »

Here is a good antenna replacement for the long whip antenna's that come from the OEM. No loss on CB and work excellent with FM.

http://www.easternperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1603
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

BaggerDave

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3
Re: Shorty Antenna's for SEUC
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 12:35:38 PM »

$80.00 for the pair seems ridiculous to me!

D&D Fatcats
Doherty PowerPACC
SE Pro Super Tuner
HP 100 TQ 116

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 01:06:48 PM »

My Experience with that antenna is there is a loss with it. I reinstalled the stock antenna and had to move up the Squelch up 4 bars from  one bar and I now was able to hear conversations that I couldn't hear before    The ears aren't nearly as good with the short antenna. I believe CB is "line of sight" and when the antenna is shorter is affects it's performance. That was my experience last week...Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 01:23:33 PM »

$80.00 for the pair seems ridiculous to me!

Gaaaa! :'(

BigR55

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 04:23:35 PM »

If the $80.00 units work it would be worth it. I bought the $30.00 ones and changed back to the whips like Texas wrote about above. Is there a place to use a SWR to check the CB? ???

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 05:02:50 PM »

The SWR's on these shorty's are the same as the whips on the CB. 8)
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 07:56:35 PM »

The SWR's on these shorty's are the same as the whips on the CB. 8)

Not true,  the factory whips are at or over 3:1 at mid-band, (channel 20).  The J&M's are at around 1.8:1.  There is so much reflected power going back into the radio with the stock whips, I'm surprised the CBs even work.  U.S. CBs operate at 27MHz which propagates at both ground wave and sky wave...so it's both somewhat line-of-sight but more effective for long-haul communications.   There is a thread that discusses all of this, just do a search for CB SWR measurments.  The J&M's are very good antenna.  Keep in mind that CB comms are not going to be optimum on a motorcycle anyway...the bike doesn't present much of a ground plane for the antenna, and they don't use marine-type antennas on the bike, so transmissions are not going to be optimum, even with the best-cast non-marine type antennas.  (Marine-type antennas don't rely on the body of the vehicle for a ground plane.)

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 05:43:29 PM »

I've been using the J & M Shorties for a couple of months.
They work great, and if you need a dealer that is near me but will ship anywhere in the country, Go to his Website,
twowheelaudio.com. Located in Murray, Kentucky
He travels at all shows, and is a strong dealer for all J & M Products.
10% Off, No Sales Tax, and order over $200.00 Free Shipping. :2vrolijk_21:
Sawyer Ghost

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 08:11:14 PM »

Not true,  the factory whips are at or over 3:1 at mid-band, (channel 20).  The J&M's are at around 1.8:1.  There is so much reflected power going back into the radio with the stock whips, I'm surprised the CBs even work.  U.S. CBs operate at 27MHz which propagates at both ground wave and sky wave...so it's both somewhat line-of-sight but more effective for long-haul communications.   There is a thread that discusses all of this, just do a search for CB SWR measurments.  The J&M's are very good antenna.  Keep in mind that CB comms are not going to be optimum on a motorcycle anyway...the bike doesn't present much of a ground plane for the antenna, and they don't use marine-type antennas on the bike, so transmissions are not going to be optimum, even with the best-cast non-marine type antennas.  (Marine-type antennas don't rely on the body of the vehicle for a ground plane.)

:devil:

Well yes and no. The factory antennas will match and perform the best IF they are tuned. The dealers don't tune them so the match out of the box is marginal. If you take the time to tune the long whips, you can get them near 1:1 and there is no short antenna that will out perform them. Having said that, I have the JMs on my bike for the reduced length and looks. I took the time to check the tuning on the JMs and had to return them twice to get an antenna that would match well for the CB. While I know my CB performance is less, it's still good enough for what I need.

As for the statement that marine antennas don't rely on a ground plane, well that would depend on the antenna. Antennas for marine use are not much different than for land mobile use. And there are antennas designed to require a ground plane, and those are not. At 27MHz (CB band) the antenna is so much shorter than the wave length that ground plane is always a factor. The best you can do is tune to what you have. When I used to design low band held held radios, we actually tuned the antennas to use the average human holding the radio as a counterpoise for the antenna.

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 09:04:16 PM »

Well yes and no. The factory antennas will match and perform the best IF they are tuned. The dealers don't tune them so the match out of the box is marginal. If you take the time to tune the long whips, you can get them near 1:1 and there is no short antenna that will out perform them. Having said that, I have the JMs on my bike for the reduced length and looks. I took the time to check the tuning on the JMs and had to return them twice to get an antenna that would match well for the CB. While I know my CB performance is less, it's still good enough for what I need.

As for the statement that marine antennas don't rely on a ground plane, well that would depend on the antenna. Antennas for marine use are not much different than for land mobile use. And there are antennas designed to require a ground plane, and those are not. At 27MHz (CB band) the antenna is so much shorter than the wave length that ground plane is always a factor. The best you can do is tune to what you have. When I used to design low band held held radios, we actually tuned the antennas to use the average human holding the radio as a counterpoise for the antenna.

I know nothing about CB's is there a way to tune your radio for optimum performance or are you matching the individual antenna to your radio?
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. (Steven Wright)

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 09:11:40 PM »

I know nothing about CB's is there a way to tune your radio for optimum performance or are you matching the individual antenna to your radio?

For the CB on a bike, you really need to match the antenna to the specific bike. Even small things tend to make a difference. The reason is when you match to a counterpoise, like the bike, it tends to be a high Q match. What that means is the match bandwidth is fairly narrow (maybe 3 or 4 MHz at 27 Mhz). So if you change something, even by a small amount, it can move the match window away (say 10% up or down) from the radio's operating range. The result is the match degrades (ie higher SWR). It's best to tune the antenna on the bike, with the equipment you have most often. Not that we can do much about it but you would be surprised how much the passenger will shift the antenna tuning. If you ever set up to test your CB with an SWR meter, just take a reading with and without someone near the antenna.  ;)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 09:56:53 AM »

Just add a 200 watt linear!!! :D :D :D :D Ride Hard and Fry Hard!!!!

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 11:11:52 AM »

Supposedly,
The J& M Shorties are tuned for your Specific Bike, Harley, BMW, etc.
These seem to work well for our application.
 :2vrolijk_21:
Sawyer Ghost

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 11:14:03 AM »

Do you mean:

http://www.twowheelsound.com/

??

I've been using the J & M Shorties for a couple of months.
They work great, and if you need a dealer that is near me but will ship anywhere in the country, Go to his Website,
twowheelaudio.com. Located in Murray, Kentucky
He travels at all shows, and is a strong dealer for all J & M Products.
10% Off, No Sales Tax, and order over $200.00 Free Shipping. :2vrolijk_21:
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 11:33:06 AM »

Yes WFP,

I stand corrected on the Website to purchase J & M Product in Murray, KY.
10 % Off, No Sales Tax, and Free Shipping with purchase over $200.00.

Correct Website is http://HTTP://www.twowheelsound.com
 :2vrolijk_21:
Sawyer Ghost

BigR55

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 11:52:28 AM »

Thanks Coyotedata, I knew there would have to be a beamerhead out there somewhere who could nail the real truth on the shorty antennas.

Given the speed of light, 186,000 miles per second divided by the 27,000,000 frequency yields a full wave at 36.4 ft.
so the whips are tuned to a quarter wave at 9 ft by using the coil on the base. 8)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 12:25:08 PM »

Just add a 200 watt linear!!! :D :D :D :D Ride Hard and Fry Hard!!!!
Just bought a  Kl-40 ...40 w linear that pulls less than 5 amps dead key. Putting it underneath tour pack infront  of amp...Stay tuned..   Greg

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 12:39:18 PM »

Just bought a  Kl-40 ...40 w linear that pulls less than 5 amps dead key. Putting it underneath tour pack infront  of amp...Stay tuned..   Greg

How much does something like that cost. Anything to boost range would be nice.

:indian_chief:

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 04:46:39 PM »

Thanks Coyotedata, I knew there would have to be a beamerhead out there somewhere who could nail the real truth on the shorty antennas.

Given the speed of light, 186,000 miles per second divided by the 27,000,000 frequency yields a full wave at 36.4 ft.
so the whips are tuned to a quarter wave at 9 ft by using the coil on the base. 8)

Never owned a beamer but I spent the last 24 or so years designing radio transmitters and receivers.  ;)

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 04:49:17 PM »

Should be interesting. HD is known for their RF in-tolerant electrical systems. Let us know what happens to the bike (running) and the radio and intercom when you key that baby up.  :nixweiss:

BigR55

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 06:25:03 PM »

Hey Coyote,
You are the beamerhead! :D
Everybody had a CB in the early 70's but the few who really dug in and built linears and went on to get there HAM licenses were called beamers because of all the antennas stuck on their car.    :)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 06:43:15 PM »

How much does something like that cost. Anything to boost range would be nice.

:indian_chief:

$42.00 plus 12.00 S&H on Ebay>>>

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 06:46:19 PM »

Should be interesting. HD is known for their RF in-tolerant electrical systems. Let us know what happens to the bike (running) and the radio and intercom when you key that baby up.  :nixweiss:

Damn>> Never thought of that>>> For the 110 owners when they key it up it will cause the oil leaks to glow making them easy to find>>>>

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 08:20:09 PM »

Hey Coyote,
You are the beamerhead! :D
Everybody had a CB in the early 70's but the few who really dug in and built linears and went on to get there HAM licenses were called beamers because of all the antennas stuck on their car.    :)

LMAO! Hey I forgot about that. I guess you're right. My first HF rig had vacuum tubes! Thanks for taking me back a ways.  :D

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 08:21:36 PM »

Damn>> Never thought of that>>> For the 110 owners when they key it up it will cause the oil leaks to glow making them easy to find>>>>

Maybe if you key up the AFR will drop to 13?  :2vrolijk_21:

BigR55

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 11:43:18 PM »

Actually, there is a new technology in HD TV that uses RF to light up or ionize gases:

In a LIFI HDTV, the light source does not use electrodes, rather it uses radio waves that convert trapped gases into a plasma. The result is lamp life that is five times that of conventional HID lamps, faster start up times, improved colour fidelity and lower prices than new rear projection models using LED lamps.
The first company to announce a LIFI system is Panasonic who have implemented the new lamps into a line of LCD projection televisions that will be available in Fall 2007.
The LIFI lamps offer similar capability and life expectancies as LED-based lamp technologies, but at a reduced cost of entry.

So, a glowing oil leak detector may be a side benefit of the linears!  8)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 09:52:04 PM »

Damn Big R .. We may really be on to something here...  got the Linear today, little bigger than  a pack of cigs. Now I've to figure out  away to wire it that gets power form the battery but it's switched power, guess I'll put a splitter on the accessory port and use that>>> Greg
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 21 queries.