Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Shorty Antenna's for SEUC  (Read 5923 times)

BigR55

Re: Shorty Antenna's for SEUC
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 11:52:28 AM »

Well yes and no. The factory antennas will match and perform the best IF they are tuned. The dealers don't tune them so the match out of the box is marginal. If you take the time to tune the long whips, you can get them near 1:1 and there is no short antenna that will out perform them. Having said that, I have the JMs on my bike for the reduced length and looks. I took the time to check the tuning on the JMs and had to return them twice to get an antenna that would match well for the CB. While I know my CB performance is less, it's still good enough for what I need.

As for the statement that marine antennas don't rely on a ground plane, well that would depend on the antenna. Antennas for marine use are not much different than for land mobile use. And there are antennas designed to require a ground plane, and those are not. At 27MHz (CB band) the antenna is so much shorter than the wave length that ground plane is always a factor. The best you can do is tune to what you have. When I used to design low band held held radios, we actually tuned the antennas to use the average human holding the radio as a counterpoise for the antenna.

Thanks Coyotedata, I knew there would have to be a beamerhead out there somewhere who could nail the real truth on the shorty antennas.

Given the speed of light, 186,000 miles per second divided by the 27,000,000 frequency yields a full wave at 36.4 ft.
so the whips are tuned to a quarter wave at 9 ft by using the coil on the base. 8)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 12:25:08 PM »

Just add a 200 watt linear!!! :D :D :D :D Ride Hard and Fry Hard!!!!
Just bought a  Kl-40 ...40 w linear that pulls less than 5 amps dead key. Putting it underneath tour pack infront  of amp...Stay tuned..   Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 12:39:18 PM »

Just bought a  Kl-40 ...40 w linear that pulls less than 5 amps dead key. Putting it underneath tour pack infront  of amp...Stay tuned..   Greg

How much does something like that cost. Anything to boost range would be nice.

:indian_chief:

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 04:46:39 PM »

Thanks Coyotedata, I knew there would have to be a beamerhead out there somewhere who could nail the real truth on the shorty antennas.

Given the speed of light, 186,000 miles per second divided by the 27,000,000 frequency yields a full wave at 36.4 ft.
so the whips are tuned to a quarter wave at 9 ft by using the coil on the base. 8)

Never owned a beamer but I spent the last 24 or so years designing radio transmitters and receivers.  ;)

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 04:49:17 PM »

Should be interesting. HD is known for their RF in-tolerant electrical systems. Let us know what happens to the bike (running) and the radio and intercom when you key that baby up.  :nixweiss:

BigR55

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 06:25:03 PM »

Hey Coyote,
You are the beamerhead! :D
Everybody had a CB in the early 70's but the few who really dug in and built linears and went on to get there HAM licenses were called beamers because of all the antennas stuck on their car.    :)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 06:43:15 PM »

How much does something like that cost. Anything to boost range would be nice.

:indian_chief:

$42.00 plus 12.00 S&H on Ebay>>>

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 06:46:19 PM »

Should be interesting. HD is known for their RF in-tolerant electrical systems. Let us know what happens to the bike (running) and the radio and intercom when you key that baby up.  :nixweiss:

Damn>> Never thought of that>>> For the 110 owners when they key it up it will cause the oil leaks to glow making them easy to find>>>>

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 08:20:09 PM »

Hey Coyote,
You are the beamerhead! :D
Everybody had a CB in the early 70's but the few who really dug in and built linears and went on to get there HAM licenses were called beamers because of all the antennas stuck on their car.    :)

LMAO! Hey I forgot about that. I guess you're right. My first HF rig had vacuum tubes! Thanks for taking me back a ways.  :D

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 08:21:36 PM »

Damn>> Never thought of that>>> For the 110 owners when they key it up it will cause the oil leaks to glow making them easy to find>>>>

Maybe if you key up the AFR will drop to 13?  :2vrolijk_21:

BigR55

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 11:43:18 PM »

Actually, there is a new technology in HD TV that uses RF to light up or ionize gases:

In a LIFI HDTV, the light source does not use electrodes, rather it uses radio waves that convert trapped gases into a plasma. The result is lamp life that is five times that of conventional HID lamps, faster start up times, improved colour fidelity and lower prices than new rear projection models using LED lamps.
The first company to announce a LIFI system is Panasonic who have implemented the new lamps into a line of LCD projection televisions that will be available in Fall 2007.
The LIFI lamps offer similar capability and life expectancies as LED-based lamp technologies, but at a reduced cost of entry.

So, a glowing oil leak detector may be a side benefit of the linears!  8)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 09:52:04 PM »

Damn Big R .. We may really be on to something here...  got the Linear today, little bigger than  a pack of cigs. Now I've to figure out  away to wire it that gets power form the battery but it's switched power, guess I'll put a splitter on the accessory port and use that>>> Greg
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.