Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Need Help Picking a Bluetooth Earpiece  (Read 5885 times)

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
Re: Need Help Picking a Bluetooth Earpiece
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 12:33:18 PM »

I see holding a conversation via bluetooth no more distracting then holding a conversation with the factory mounted CB.. .In fact i think the CB is a bit more dangerous due to channel scan and push to to talk. The right bluetooth module is pretty safe, all hands free and very covenant in proper situations. And a lot more safer then pulling of the side of California's famous freeways.

I see the danger nothing to do with motor dexterity (which is what most people perceive as the danger) I see it related to concentration of thought.....

the more complex the conversation the more concentration it takes (more dangerous)  multi tasking is not my forte....just ask my wife

I do not think the CB is as dangerous due to the conversation is relevant most of the time to driving and it is short bursts of conversation not needing a large amount of concentration.

The motor dexterity needed for the CB is greater, but again I do not think that is the real issue. (even though our politicians think differently)

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 12:35:15 PM »

I see the danger nothing to do with motor dexterity (which is what most people perceive as the danger) I see it related to concentration of thought.....

the more complex the conversation the more concentration it takes (more dangerous)  multi tasking is not my forte....just ask my wife

I do not think the CB is as dangerous due to the conversation is relevant most of the time to driving and it is short bursts of conversation not needing a large amount of concentration.

The motor dexterity needed for the CB is greater, but again I do not think that is the real issue. (even though our politicians think differently)

The point about conventration and multi tasking is valid...   every individual needs to know their limits and stay within them... 
some folks are more skilled at it than others.....  and should operate accordingly

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 01:07:14 PM »

Having pontificating my point,

I do use a cell phone while driving and have gotten into some close situations that I have not had to pay a price , but the margin of error on a motorcycle is much less and the price payed for a mistake is much higher.

so I try not to take phone calls while riding
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 01:42:12 PM »

The point about conventration and multi tasking is valid...   every individual needs to know their limits and stay within them... 
some folks are more skilled at it than others.....  and should operate accordingly

will have to make sure to stay of the dirty sex lines while driving the hog  :bananarock:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 05:14:08 PM »

My intention for using this is for the marshalling work I do for the breast cancer walks here in Atlanta. I have a crew of 36 riders spread out over several miles. My number one priority during the day is moving people around to make sure we have all of the necessary intersections covered before the walkers get there. Without some means of being able to talk while moving, it is a never ending series of stopping to answer a ringing sell phone or make a call. Being able to at least receive a call while moving is paramount, even if I can't respond, I just need to be able to hear the caller.

Today I dropped by the AT&T store and picked up a corded ear piece with a call/end button on the mike. I'll see how that works. If it is merely satisfactory, I'm done. If it doesn't work at all, then I'll keep looking.

Thanks for all of the input. Hopefully I'm done with this one.

:indian_chief:

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 09:03:23 PM »

Chuck,

I've got the Plantronics BT headset with mic paired with my Zumo 550.  Using a Jabra dongle to send stereo tunes via the Zumo as well.  The Zumo mutes the tunes while the call is active and it works fine at speeds below 35mph for talking.  Over 35, you can still hear the call perfectly, but the other end of the call hears mostly noise.  Of course, you can just pair the headset to the phone and be finished.  The great thing, even if the caller can't hear me clearly, they usually leave a message and I can listen to the voice mail and decide if it's important enough to pull over and return the call or wait till later when more convenient.  Even with the Rinehart exhaust, you can hear clearly while cruising at 80.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 11:19:23 PM »

My intention for using this is for the marshalling work I do for the breast cancer walks here in Atlanta.

Hey Chief,, my hat is off to you..  :2vrolijk_21:

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 11:52:17 PM »

My intention for using this is for the marshalling work I do for the breast cancer walks here in Atlanta. I have a crew of 36 riders spread out over several miles. My number one priority during the day is moving people around to make sure we have all of the necessary intersections covered before the walkers get there. Without some means of being able to talk while moving, it is a never ending series of stopping to answer a ringing sell phone or make a call. Being able to at least receive a call while moving is paramount, even if I can't respond, I just need to be able to hear the caller.

Today I dropped by the AT&T store and picked up a corded ear piece with a call/end button on the mike. I'll see how that works. If it is merely satisfactory, I'm done. If it doesn't work at all, then I'll keep looking.

Thanks for all of the input. Hopefully I'm done with this one.

A helpful hint that I found out is one of the small wind foam socks that I put over my corded head set mic which was my one of choice in the cage before I switched to the jawbone which has great noise cancellation...  Wind sock helped a bunch especially outside in the air.

JFYI

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 11:56:16 PM by bubba »
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 07:41:09 PM »

Chuck,

I've got the Plantronics BT headset with mic paired with my Zumo 550.  Using a Jabra dongle to send stereo tunes via the Zumo as well.  The Zumo mutes the tunes while the call is active and it works fine at speeds below 35mph for talking.  Over 35, you can still hear the call perfectly, but the other end of the call hears mostly noise.  Of course, you can just pair the headset to the phone and be finished.  The great thing, even if the caller can't hear me clearly, they usually leave a message and I can listen to the voice mail and decide if it's important enough to pull over and return the call or wait till later when more convenient.  Even with the Rinehart exhaust, you can hear clearly while cruising at 80.

Thanks. I may need to work on this some. This morning I rode the bike to work and tried out the hands free set-up. I called the house and had no problem talking to Pinkie while going down the road. I could also hear her pretty well. If I grabbed the mic and held it to my mouth, she said it was loud and clear. I then called a friend of mine on his cell phone and it became a one-sided conversation as I couldn't really hear him. Improving the hearing part would be a big help. Too bad no one makes a molded ear piece for this set.

It's light years ahead of the phone in the pocket, but it's not perfect.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 07:42:24 PM »

Hey Chief,, my hat is off to you..  :2vrolijk_21:

SG,

Thanks. Guys like boobs, what can I say. Gotta do what we can to keep them healthy.  :2vrolijk_21:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 07:44:49 PM »

A helpful hint that I found out is one of the small wind foam socks that I put over my corded head set mic which was my one of choice in the cage before I switched to the jawbone which has great noise cancellation...  Wind sock helped a bunch especially outside in the air.

JFYI

Thanks. I might try that to reduce the wind noise.

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 09:44:09 PM »

chief,
just saw this thread. if you go to avery sound ;  http://www.averysound.com/as.cell_phone_earpiece.html
they can make a custom ear piece for just about any bluetooth head set ( just send your earmold impression and the earbud so that it is placed in the custom ear piece). I have one for the plantronics. Don't know what options you have looked at , but might want to check this out. john
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 11:13:50 PM »

Thanks. I may need to work on this some. This morning I rode the bike to work and tried out the hands free set-up. I called the house and had no problem talking to Pinkie while going down the road. I could also hear her pretty well. If I grabbed the mic and held it to my mouth, she said it was loud and clear. I then called a friend of mine on his cell phone and it became a one-sided conversation as I couldn't really hear him. Improving the hearing part would be a big help. Too bad no one makes a molded ear piece for this set.

It's light years ahead of the phone in the pocket, but it's not perfect.

I never got the call.  :nixweiss:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »

I never got the call.  :nixweiss:

It was before nine. I didn't want to wake you. :huepfenlol2:

ox666

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE4
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2008, 09:35:18 PM »

Don't know if this helps but I use Scala Rider Q2 headset but paired with Tom Tom 2 GPS.  I can receive incoming calls no problems but must be stationary to dial outgoing.  Big icon touchscreen makes it easy with gloves.  Sound deteriorates with an open face helmet at speeds over 50mph.  I hope this is useful.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 21 queries.