Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ANYONE SEEN THIS GADGET? SPOT!  (Read 2122 times)

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
ANYONE SEEN THIS GADGET? SPOT!
« on: August 29, 2008, 06:37:23 PM »

A guy I know here has a really good website and he got a new gadget, SPOT it's a gps you put in your pocket and it maps you on google so other people can track you, we need a group buy. he's selling them, i  havent been able to talk to  him about my special price. but he's in durango and it tracked him all the way there, check it out. http://www.cyclerides.com/spot
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: ANYONE SEEN THIS GADGET? SPOT!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 08:20:57 PM »

Why would I want someone else to track my whereabouts?  It's bad enough that Big Brother is watching me with camera's mounted all over the city, now I'm supposed to voluntarily buy and carry a device to let everyone figure out where I am at all times?  No thanks.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 08:38:58 PM »

Why would I want someone else to track my whereabouts?  It's bad enough that Big Brother is watching me with camera's mounted all over the city, now I'm supposed to voluntarily buy and carry a device to let everyone figure out where I am at all times?  No thanks.

Jerry
Hey Jerry, I couldn't get to the end of the post without wondering exactly that....almost said it with my 'out-loud' voice!  :o  har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

scp1scp

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 10:34:51 PM »

I am looking for the exact opposite.  I want to know where my bike is when I am NOT riding it. HA!

Steve.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 11:19:10 PM »

A guy I know here has a really good website and he got a new gadget, SPOT it's a gps you put in your pocket and it maps you on google so other people can track you, we need a group buy. he's selling them, i  havent been able to talk to  him about my special price. but he's in durango and it tracked him all the way there, check it out. http://www.cyclerides.com/spot

I think the technology is cool and I have enjoyed keeping up the Nige's adventure. 

However, unless I'm doing something special like Nige, I don't think I want anyone knowing where I am and when I'm there.  I have a cell phone with an on/off button and when out riding I can check my messages and let others know where I am when I'm good and ready ;)

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 12:30:45 AM »

I think the technology is cool and I have enjoyed keeping up the Nige's adventure. 

However, unless I'm doing something special like Nige, I don't think I want anyone knowing where I am and when I'm there.  I have a cell phone with an on/off button and when out riding I can check my messages and let others know where I am when I'm good and ready ;)
it is cool for a special trip or to do exactly that, track and adventure. Geez, dont get too paranoid?
2004 SEEG Orange/Black

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 12:35:59 AM »

I am looking for the exact opposite.  I want to know where my bike is when I am NOT riding it. HA!

Steve.
Its sitting in your garage, do you think it goes out without you?
2004 SEEG Orange/Black

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 12:49:47 PM »

Not for me....just a matter of time before we get this crap pushed on us in the name of fighting terrorism, IMHO

Ride Safe! :coolblue:

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 01:34:12 PM »

"So why were you parked at the Ti##y Bar all afternoon?"

words I do not want to hear
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 05:11:40 PM »

Not for me....just a matter of time before we get this crap pushed on us in the name of fighting terrorism, IMHO

Vote for Obama and you wont have to worry about that, the terrorists will own the country!!
2004 SEEG Orange/Black

weamdog

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 FLHTCUSE4
    • Virtual Garage
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 07:42:17 PM »

I have a GPS-Snitch which basically does the same thing, but it's primary use is as an alarm system.  I haven't set it up for the bike yet (it's usually installed in the camaro).  It will txt and email you when the perimeter has been breached or the unit is moving.  Actually I haven't read up on this thing since I got it, but now they have unlimited tracking for $169 a year so you always know where your baby is and the only people allowed to track it are the people you allow.  Slip this baby in the kids or wifes car and keep them honest :)

Kind of expensive, but what is piece of mind worth nowadays?
http://gps-snitch.com/index.html
'00 FLSTS
'09 FLHTCUSE4 (Autumn Haze/Octane Orange)

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 11:21:11 PM »

Not sure if it is utilized, but GM has the capability to track you and monitor your travel habits if you have OnStar in your GM vehicle.  My guess is that the marketing folks at GM use it in some form or fashion for marketing purposes.

"Big Brother is watching"  (1989)

T MAC

• Elite CVO Member
  • FREEDOM

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - B/O
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 11:26:40 PM »

I agree - hell who knows there may already be a device on our bikes now :computer: :multi: :rifle:
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 10:55:55 PM »

I have a Spot and use it when I am out on my own.  It can, however, be a pain to use.  You have to be careful what button you push and it isn't obvious when you are in tracking mode.  It only has 4 buttons and it's easy to think you're in tracking mode when you're not (have to watch the flashing lights).  It also needs a pretty clear view of the sky or it will not work.  To use it on a bike you would have to mount it in the open or wear it on a belt. 

I am not too impressed with tracking.  They could do better.  I do like the fact that you can use it to call for help and let family know you're ok.  If you're out on the road and cell doesn't work, Spot probably will.  It works virtually everywhere in the world.  Press the 911 button and they will send assistance to your GPS coordinates.  It isn't perfect, but it's certainly better than nothing. 

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.