Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stock radio sounds flat  (Read 2002 times)

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SEUC Red & Black
Stock radio sounds flat
« on: September 06, 2008, 07:21:07 PM »

I am looking for some input. I have an 07 SEUC that has the stock sound system. I got the bike when it had 5000 miles on it so I'm not sure if the speakers are bad or this is just the way it sounds. To me the HK system sounds very flat. (not much base or treble) I can turn it up pretty loud without distortion but the sound is awful in my opinion. I had an 05 Ultra that I changed the speakers to hogtunes and it sounded much better than this system. I do have some friends that ride 07 and 08 street glides with the factory 2 speaker systems that sound much better than my 4 speaker system. I really don't want to change the head unit being it has the GPS. Is it just the nature of this unit or will I get more depth in the sound if I change to different speakers? I really don't have a $1000 to change the amp and 4 speakers. I always ride 2 up so you generally cannot hear the rear speakers. Anyway I could use some help on this one guys.

Has anyone just added the Hogtunes, Hawg Wired or J&M speakers to the stock SEUC 07 unit? I wonder what your opinions are on this upgrade? TIA!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 12:48:20 PM by harleyguynv »

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Stock radio sounds flat
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 01:08:45 AM »

I am looking for some input. I have an 07 SEUC that has the stock sound system. I got the bike when it had 5000 miles on it so I'm not sure if the speakers are bad or this is just the way it sounds. To me the HK system sounds very flat. (not much base or treble) I can turn it up pretty loud without distortion but the sound is awful in my opinion. I had an 05 Ultra that I changed the speakers to hogtunes and it sounded much better than this system. I do have some friends that ride 07 and 08 street glides with the factory 2 speaker systems that sound much better than my 4 speaker system. I really don't want to change the head unit being it has the GPS. Is it just the nature of this unit or will I get more depth in the sound if I change to different speakers? I really don't have a $1000 to change the amp and 4 speakers. I always ride 2 up so you generally cannot hear the rear speakers. Anyway I could use some help on this one guys.

First thing i did with each of my current two and last 2 baggers was change out the speakers to the Hog Tunes. A lot of folks go a step futher and go with various levels of the Hawg Wired set ups. I say the least you should do is get ride of the factory speakers. If you want quality music, you're going to have to get your wallet out and spend some $$$. There are a lot of post here on the Hawg Wired.. check it out
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 01:10:33 AM by sportygordy »

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 07:31:54 AM »

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 08:02:49 PM »

Thanks Sporty and Murphy for the feedback. My unit needed the upgrade so I did it. Not sure what it changed but the sound is still lousey. Like I said before I put the hogtune speakers in my 05 and it did make a big difference in the loudness of that system. I'm just not sure if it will add that much to this one. I am able to turn it up loud without much distortion. It just sounds really tinny. (not really any bass or treble to speak of) It is hard to understand why my friends Street Glides sound so much better. I live in Vegas and we have a bike show coming up this month. I will see if any of the venders are selling upgrades to the sound systems I can listen to.

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 10:39:06 PM »

Thanks Sporty and Murphy for the feedback. My unit needed the upgrade so I did it. Not sure what it changed but the sound is still lousey. Like I said before I put the hogtune speakers in my 05 and it did make a big difference in the loudness of that system. I'm just not sure if it will add that much to this one. I am able to turn it up loud without much distortion. It just sounds really tinny. (not really any bass or treble to speak of) It is hard to understand why my friends Street Glides sound so much better. I live in Vegas and we have a bike show coming up this month. I will see if any of the venders are selling upgrades to the sound systems I can listen to.

Harleyguynv, I had the tinny sound with my stock radio as well.  It was definitely the speakers and the power, not the radio.  The amp is only 20 watts a channel.  The stock radio is limited by design.  If you upgrade the speakers you'll see a major improvement, but if you really want to hear it at highway speeds you're going to need an amp.

I started a post on the subject in the SERG group and have included a video of my Hawg-Wired amp.  We are also discussing speakers and other audio enhancements (http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=27558.0).  I have no problem hearing my radio ;) 

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 02:11:19 AM »

Harleyguynv, I had the tinny sound with my stock radio as well.  It was definitely the speakers and the power, not the radio.  The amp is only 20 watts a channel.  The stock radio is limited by design.  If you upgrade the speakers you'll see a major improvement, but if you really want to hear it at highway speeds you're going to need an amp.

I started a post on the subject in the SERG group and have included a video of my Hawg-Wired amp.  We are also discussing speakers and other audio enhancements (http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=27558.0).  I have no problem hearing my radio ;) 
I'm thinking I dont need the amp, my 04 SEEG radio has the amp built in, if I'm not mistaken. I do need to get the speakers though. I dont think I can do the 4 speakers either, only two channels?
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 04:11:26 AM »

I'm thinking I dont need the amp, my 04 SEEG radio has the amp built in, if I'm not mistaken. I do need to get the speakers though. I dont think I can do the 4 speakers either, only two channels?

That's correct.  Radio in the SEEGs only feeds two speakers.  No output for rears from that radio.  It also has an internal 60w amp.  It's a poor amp.  Lots of distortion.

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 10:39:04 AM »

Wattage is subjective.  Sometimes people rate amps at peak, not RMS.  RMS is an average power.  Peak is not real output it only looks good in marketing material.  I had my stock radio amp measured using a standard RMS measurement before I decided on buying an amp.  It came out around 40W RMS.  A HW PSC amp has an RMS of 150W.  They will peak out well over that. 

TwoLaneRider, are you sure the H/K doesn't have at least a line level out for rear speakers?  The switch installed on the console has an off, center and rear.  The radio acknowledges these position settings on the display. 

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 10:41:38 AM »

TwoLaneRider, are you sure the H/K doesn't have at least a line level out for rear speakers?  The switch installed on the console has an off, center and rear.  The radio acknowledges these position settings on the display. 

Jim, we've got the old RadioSound radio whose amp will only power 2 speakers.  Bob

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 10:48:48 AM »

You guys are actually lucky.  Those radios are a lot easier to modify.  The new ones are a pain! 

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 09:51:12 AM »

I installed a pair of Hog Tunes speakers in the front, just to see what the difference would be. The sound is much better when riding, not great but exceptable for now. I did not install them in the rear because I always ride 2 up so you cannot hear them anyway. I will probably install a set in the lowers with an amp in the future.  Just a footnote... I have an adapter to hook up my earbuds to the sound system at the dash. I noticed the HK system actually sounds a little better than when I hook up directly to my iPod. Too bad you cannot get that kind of sound out of the speakers on the bike.

hogpilot

• CVO1: '09 SERG Electric Orange
    • CVO2: '02 FLHTCUI
    • CVO3: '06 FXSTB
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 08:59:02 PM »

I installed a pair of Hog Tunes speakers in the front, just to see what the difference would be. The sound is much better when riding, not great but exceptable for now. I did not install them in the rear because I always ride 2 up so you cannot hear them anyway. I will probably install a set in the lowers with an amp in the future.  Just a footnote... I have an adapter to hook up my earbuds to the sound system at the dash. I noticed the HK system actually sounds a little better than when I hook up directly to my iPod. Too bad you cannot get that kind of sound out of the speakers on the bike.
What kind of adapter do you have to hook up earbuds to your stock radio?  Sam

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »

I found the adapter on Ebay a couple years ago. It is a solid piece about an inch long. It plugs into the dash input and has an opening that the ear buds plug into on the end. I have never seen these plugs on Ebay again or anywhere.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 12:17:32 PM »

If you want to greatly improve the sound of your stock stereo take out the Lawrence Welk CD and replace it with a Stevie Ray Vaughn CD.  Other than that, have you had to radio tuned?  :2vrolijk_21:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.