Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help getting started w/Zumo 550 on my SEEG 04  (Read 1492 times)

LIKEAROLLINGSTONE

• NC

Need help getting started w/Zumo 550 on my SEEG 04
« on: September 08, 2008, 09:43:26 PM »

I just purchased a Zumo 550 & Garmin GXM-30 Smart Antenna for my 04 SEEG.  If anyone could help me with a few basic questions, I would be MOST APPRECIATIVE...
1) What is the easiest/best way to hard wire the 550 to the bike?  I have the unit mounted on the left handle bar.  Can I take the wires through the hole in the dash (following the clutch tubing) and wire/ground it to something inside the dash?
2) On a whim, I also purchased the Smart Antenna to receive XM radio.  How has anyone mounted the antenna?  It is 2-3 times larger than I thought it was to be!
3) How does one get the verbal directions/sound/music to run through the dash speakers?  I plugged in an aux plug (which works w/my MP3 player on the bike) to the front of the bikes radio face, and the other end into the left side of the 550's mounting bracket.  I turned the radio onto AUX and turned the 550's pre-recorded music on, but I got no music?!!?!   Again, any insight to help me work through these frustrations would be of great help!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Need help getting started w/Zumo 550 on my SEEG 04
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:55:13 PM »

I just purchased a Zumo 550 & Garmin GXM-30 Smart Antenna for my 04 SEEG.  If anyone could help me with a few basic questions, I would be MOST APPRECIATIVE...
1) What is the easiest/best way to hard wire the 550 to the bike?  I have the unit mounted on the left handle bar.  Can I take the wires through the hole in the dash (following the clutch tubing) and wire/ground it to something inside the dash?
2) On a whim, I also purchased the Smart Antenna to receive XM radio.  How has anyone mounted the antenna?  It is 2-3 times larger than I thought it was to be!
3) How does one get the verbal directions/sound/music to run through the dash speakers?  I plugged in an aux plug (which works w/my MP3 player on the bike) to the front of the bikes radio face, and the other end into the left side of the 550's mounting bracket.  I turned the radio onto AUX and turned the 550's pre-recorded music on, but I got no music?!!?!   Again, any insight to help me work through these frustrations would be of great help!

1) Yes you can take the wiring thru that opening and find a power source. Some have spliced/connected into the back of the cigarette lighter, and some have other switched leads in the fairing. Personally I used the cigarette lighter plug (from the outside of fairing by removing the lighter/plug) w/an adapter attached to the wire that sticks in the plug for power.

2) There is a mount you can get from Cycle Gadgets (scroll down that page and look for accesories for Garmin Zumo until you find the following description..
RAM Bracket for Garmin GXM-30. Fits between GPS cradle and mount. Compatible with RAM, Tech Mount, Adjustable Plate Mount, and most other mounting solutions. $5.50). Some have mounted the GXM 30 inside the fairing, and also in glove box.

3) You have connected the Zumo up correctly to get the sounds, but it sounds like you haven't established an external power source. You will not get any sounds from the Zumo until you do this.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 10:52:18 PM »

Or you can go with a tech mount and hide the antenna under the fairing either on top the radio or buy a CVO satellite antenna bracket HD Part Number 76456-06. The bracket attaches to the left side of the fairing, i think, and the tech mount is pricey and can be found here'

www.techmounts.com/products/

LIKEAROLLINGSTONE

• NC

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 03:34:48 AM »

Fired009, Thank you for taking the time to share your insight!   :) :) :) :) :)  If I were to hide the GXM inside the fairing (or glove box) would the quality of reception suffer?  As far as 'establishing an external power source', when I was attempting to connect the aux radio plug to the 550's cradle, I was using the rechargeable internal battery of the 550 for power.  Are you saying that once I hard wire the 550 to the bike, this process will work correctly?  If so, are there any other ways to connect the unit to the fairings speakers (without having another set of wires dangling in front of the dash)?  THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 07:16:59 AM »

Fired009, Thank you for taking the time to share your insight!   :) :) :) :) :)  If I were to hide the GXM inside the fairing (or glove box) would the quality of reception suffer?  As far as 'establishing an external power source', when I was attempting to connect the aux radio plug to the 550's cradle, I was using the rechargeable internal battery of the 550 for power.  Are you saying that once I hard wire the 550 to the bike, this process will work correctly?  If so, are there any other ways to connect the unit to the fairings speakers (without having another set of wires dangling in front of the dash)?  THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes and yes. The internal battery will not power the output to the speakers. There is a thread on this board (I'm on my way to work and will try to find it for you later) that shows how to put another Aux plug on the back of the radio. You could do that if you want to have a hidden place to plug cord into radio.

As for other places that I mentioned to put the GXM I'll let those that have done this respond I have no first hand knowledge on it.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.