Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I want to get an iPod and mount it  (Read 2610 times)

BaggerDave

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3
I want to get an iPod and mount it
« on: September 17, 2008, 11:38:55 AM »

I know there have been posts before, but I'm looking for some feedback on the best solution.
Which unit did you buy and what mount? Also, how is the sound? CD quality or AM radio quality?

D&D Fatcats
Doherty PowerPACC
SE Pro Super Tuner
HP 100 TQ 116

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: I want to get an iPod and mount it
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 11:41:31 AM »

there are some nice chrome mounts available

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=87&subpageid=310453&ck=

cant say how the sound quality will be using a headphone to aux connection.

i got off easy, my sony has a true ipod interface cable on it. to the ipod is tucked away in one of my lowers
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 04:17:32 PM »

We've just run a short cable up from the lowers storage pod to the aux input on the radio.  Snake it under the frame harness to keep it out of the way.  Easy to remove, nothing for some chithead to steal, gives pretty decent sound.  The wife rides her CUSE this way most of the time.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Sean M Cary

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 04:33:20 PM »

I've got 5 Pelican 40GB IPOD cases if anyone wants one...

Not sure why I have 5, but I do... 

Will part with them cheap...

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 04:54:24 PM »

I just bought the new Nano (cause it rhymes with ZUMO) and it fits easily in any pocket, plug in in the Zumo which is plugged in the radio. In fact I am only buying pocket T's for now so I can just drop the little thing in my shirt pocket.

BaggerDave

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 08:17:11 AM »

So far, it looks like a Ram mount with an Otter case for the Nano is the way to go.
Anyone have this setup?

D&D Fatcats
Doherty PowerPACC
SE Pro Super Tuner
HP 100 TQ 116

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 09:26:31 AM »

So far, it looks like a Ram mount with an Otter case for the Nano is the way to go.
Anyone have this setup?

I have the Otter case for my IPhone. It is great, I dropped it out of my pocket while going about 35mph on the bike, have jumped in a pool with it in my pocket and chased the lab around the house with it in his mouth and the IPhone is still perfect. You can't beat an Otter case. They are always on Ebay for a good price.
And most important, they come in Nana color. :2vrolijk_21:

Piper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 11:10:17 AM »

I know there have been posts before, but I'm looking for some feedback on the best solution.
Which unit did you buy and what mount? Also, how is the sound? CD quality or AM radio quality?

Get the biggest capacity iPod you can find so you don't need to buy another bigger one later.
Then get a Griffin iTrip transmitter.
the iTrip lets you keep your iPod in your pocket and transmit through your stereo. Just set the iTrip and the Stereo both to the same unused FM channel like 89.9 or whatever channel is unused where you live. No need to mount the iPod, just keep it in your pocket or on a lanyard around your neck.

1Trickydick

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 11:23:21 AM »

Get the biggest capacity iPod you can find so you don't need to buy another bigger one later.
the iTrip lets you keep your iPod in your pocket and transmit through your stereo. Just set the iTrip and the Stereo both to the same unused FM channel like 89.9 or whatever channel is unused where you live. No need to mount the iPod, just keep it in your pocket or on a lanyard around your neck.
I have the 120 GB iPod classic, and I do not want to handlebar mount it because it locks up due to vibration.  I typically let Momma be the musical director on the back, but I have been through two of these FM transmitters and they have not worked.  Even sitting right next to the stereo it is all static and hiss.  Does the Griffin work well? 

Piper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 12:27:06 PM »

I have never had a problem with the Griffin iTrip. Shop around, I have seen them for less than $10 here at www.factorydirect.ca.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 01:28:05 PM »

I have the 120 GB iPod classic, and I do not want to handlebar mount it because it locks up due to vibration.  I typically let Momma be the musical director on the back, but I have been through two of these FM transmitters and they have not worked.  Even sitting right next to the stereo it is all static and hiss.  Does the Griffin work well? 
How does the transmiter hook up or does it plug into the aux on HK radio?

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 03:47:56 PM »

Just get a long 3.5mm cord, run it under the tank and seat, let it come up whereever Mama wants it and plug it into the aux port on the front of the radio.  No squeal, cheap, effective and not too many people will steal a cord!
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 10:34:40 AM »

I've got 5 Pelican 40GB IPOD cases if anyone wants one...

Not sure why I have 5, but I do... 

Will part with them cheap...

How much Sean???????
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 10:43:58 AM »

I use an iPod video. The high capacity iPods (a plus) have a hard drive (a minus) they will lock up after you hit enough bumps, you then have to go through a hard reset to unlock it.

My iPod is mounted on the handlebars, that is the problem, if it was in my pocket it would be OK. Didn't think of that before I cut the hardwired cord to charge and connect to the rear of the radio.

cant say how the sound quality will be using a headphone to aux connection.

i got off easy, my sony has a true ipod interface cable on it. to the ipod is tucked away in one of my lowers

Neal, I would say it is CD quality, far better then even a strong FM signal.

The Nano's are flash memory, no hard drive to worry about, but they still seem limited to 16GB. I have a 30 GB Video, and it is not enough room.
The Fm transmitters just don't work well.
You are limited to unused stations and they are a pain to find while traveling, and around NJ at least the lower freqs are used by many of the colleges.

Griffen works the same, mediocre at best.

I am just waiting for the opportunity to do the Sony upgrade. That way you can bury the iPod and safely pad it and control the iPod with the radio controls, seems to be the best solution if you use an iPod
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.