Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding Boom! Audio XM to 2011 FLHXSE2 HELP!!!  (Read 5554 times)

S.E.Chic

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Eagle has landed!
    • GA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Inferno Orange
Adding Boom! Audio XM to 2011 FLHXSE2 HELP!!!
« on: November 24, 2010, 07:27:15 PM »

I want to add XM to the new bike, but when I pull up part number 76404-06 on the HD site, it says it will NOT work on the FLHXSE2.....What gives? I thought you guys said you have put it on your bikes??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Our store is giving a 25% discount on Black Friday and I thought this would make it more affordable if it would work.
Thanks!!
Kim

76404-06
Fits '06-later Touring models equipped with an Advanced Audio Radio (except FLHXSE2). Requires installation of appropriate Wiring Harness and Antenna Bracket P/N 76456-06 (FLH models) or 76316-06A (FLTR models).

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Adding Boom! Audio XM to 2011 FLHXSE2 HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 05:39:48 AM »

Can't speak to the question of whether anyone has installed the XM module on an SESG2.

However, I've seen an email from a senior manager at HD who wrote to supply a solution for the installation of the Navigation Interface Module (NIM) on an SESG2, but also stated that it's a "No Fit" on the SESG2 due to lack of space for mounting the module.  In the case of the NIM, he supplied a solution that is not included in the installation instructions for the NIM and the installation instructions wouldn't work; hence the need for a custom solution.

Also, NativTexan went through a similar struggle to install CB on his SESG2.  The normal installation of CB on a Street Glide wouldn't work on the SESG2 so his dealer/tech got a solution from the same guy who supplied the solution for the NIM.

As noted, you'll have an issue with the XM module since the SESG2 radio already has an amp and the ipod interface module installed sitting on top. 

Also, because of the unique wiring inside the SESG2 fairing, the XM probably won't be a plug and play proposition.

Carl

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 08:17:09 AM »

You can always add a Zumo 665 with the XM antenna if you do not find a solution to your problem.
Ride It Like You Are Retired

S.E.Chic

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Eagle has landed!
    • GA

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 09:10:57 AM »

Thanks guys! I took the handlebar mounted Sirius off my current bike and it looks like the easiest solution will be to mount it on the new SESG2 using the Aux. input.
Kim

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 11:58:32 AM »

Another option is to remove the Ipod interface module and related hardware and sell that; and, replace it with the HD XM module, antenna, etc.

I see you're in Georgia.  The NIM install that required the solution from MOCO was done at Killer Creek HD in Roswell and the tech kept the paperwork from the MOCO.  Perhaps they can help you out if you consider using he HD XM module in the future.

Carl

S.E.Chic

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Eagle has landed!
    • GA

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 12:08:40 PM »

Thanks Carl!
It's always nice to have options!

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 05:17:08 PM »

Just load up that IPOD and be happy. The sound quality of XM really sucks! Save yourself the monthly fees plus the to high cost of the XM Module.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 05:53:47 PM »

My XM module I installed on my SERG has excellent sound quality. I personally have no use for an Ipod, Just another piece of plastic crap to keep up with. In fact why waste time and effort on the ipod at all, our radios will play MP3's which allow 85 - 100 songs on a regular CD. The song info is shown on Radio face and no need for cables etc, biggest thing it keeps me from needing anything from control the world / do it my way or not at all Apple. ( I am a Apple hater)

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 07:01:02 AM »

I do not suppose that you will be interested in the Black Friday Online Apple Sale today....LOL

I know what you mean when you say "do it my way", their way is not the best.

I must be bored this morning....LOL

shenengr

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 07:33:03 PM »

I want to add XM to the new bike, but when I pull up part number 76404-06 on the HD site, it says it will NOT work on the FLHXSE2.....What gives? I thought you guys said you have put it on your bikes??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Our store is giving a 25% discount on Black Friday and I thought this would make it more affordable if it would work.
Thanks!!
Kim

76404-06
Fits '06-later Touring models equipped with an Advanced Audio Radio (except FLHXSE2). Requires installation of appropriate Wiring Harness and Antenna Bracket P/N 76456-06 (FLH models) or 76316-06A (FLTR models).

Buy the XM .... it works.  I have this last Saturday installed it on my bike, 2011 SESG2.  There is room.  The biggest hassle is supplying the interconnect wires that have been eliminated for the 2011 SESG2.  Those wires are in the 2010 bikes for some strange reason HD decided that the 2011 bikes/customers didn't need XM, or GPS, or rear speakers, or........  Who would ever have guessed that one might want to have XM on their touring bike anyway..... :-(   
You will need to get the correct Overlay harness... It will be the Non Ultra Overlay Harness or NUOH .... about $129 list... the correct mounting bracket for the XM antenna....about $5.00 list and since there is already the IPOD module and the amp mounted on top of the radio, HD has a "kit" that is nothing more than some super strong double back tape that you use to mount the XM module on top of the IPOD module.... another $5.00.....  I went ahead and had my HD dealer add/move the wires for the addition of "rear speakers" from the existing radio connector and put them into the overlay harness (so when I figure out how to get around, or deal with the "STUPID" 1 ohm speakers that are on these bikes the connectors will already be there).  When I am ready to put a tour pack and speakers on my bike I will just need to run the wires from that harness to the rear of the bike.  The HD dealer then has to "enable" the XM on the radio through their Digital Tech equipment, and will have to do the same again on my bike when I put the additional rear speakers on.  The second time around for me will, I believe, enable the fader and balance control, which none of the 2011 SESG2's have.
I personally think the system sounds really good, but only after I changed the windshield and got rid of as much wind noise as possible, did the real sound "show up".  The XM and the "other" radio stations come through good too, but some of the songs from the IPOD are weak ...

Oh well just my two cents worth.....

S.E.Chic

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Eagle has landed!
    • GA

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 04:26:57 PM »

Thank you. I ended up spending my money on the Rider Backrest, siren, pager, and some other stuff. I think I will wait til spring and rethink the xm thing. I really got used to my Sirius on the trip to Sturgis this summer. Nice not to have to scan for a station to come in.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 08:04:52 AM »

Thank you. I ended up spending my money on the Rider Backrest, siren, pager, and some other stuff. I think I will wait til spring and rethink the xm thing. I really got used to my Sirius on the trip to Sturgis this summer. Nice not to have to scan for a station to come in.

I know what you mean with the constant scan think when you are on a trip. That is why I do not listen to the radio much. I just load up the SD card in the GPS and go.

Maybe Santa will stop by your place with a nice Black & Orange box.

iflyb777

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTFSE2 yellow & blue
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE Concord
    • CVO3: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black & Orange
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 03:46:55 PM »

called Marvin at 580-353-5088 H-D in Lawton Ok.
Had my XM done about Hr
He does not use 6A plug wire direct to ipod
works great
I have FLHXSE2
larry

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.