Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: mapsource.....help!!!  (Read 5932 times)

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
Re: mapsource.....help!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 09:58:17 AM »

BaseCamp is Garmins replacement for Mapsource.

Not sure where you got your info but I really doubt it is correct.  Basecamp has the same issues in that you can select the different versions of the maps you have loaded.  There is not detail to be had so you really cannot route a good back road route.  If all you want to do is "Slab Pound" major roads and streets then it will be okay but for those of us that like to see the country and the true beauty of where we ride to then Basecamp is worthless. 

Garmin going to Basecamp would be like going from a CVO to a Sportster.

Just my 2 cents

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 10:01:26 AM »

I agree.  It is not the program but the operator of the program. 
Sorry if the truth hurts.  When all else fails RTFI
I agree - to a point.  I have no problem with MapSource once the route is completed and downloaded to the GPS - everything works great and that is about all I use.  My complaint is that the database is difficult to access.  It is difficult to find addresses, features, etc.  MapSource is not as intuitive as is Streets & Trips.  You can enter partial information in Streets & Trips and it will retrieve several entries.  But with MapSource you must be exact or it will not find it.  And sometimes it seems that one must be a mind reader to ascertain what to ask for.  

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 11:33:55 AM »

I agree - to a point.  I have no problem with MapSource once the route is completed and downloaded to the GPS - everything works great and that is about all I use. My complaint is that the database is difficult to access. IT is difficult to find addresses, features, etc.  MapSource is not as intuitive as is Streets & Trips.  You can enter partial information in Streets & Trips and it will retrieve several entries.  But with MapSource you must be exact or it will not find it.  And sometimes it seems that one must be a mind reader to ascertain what to ask for.  

LOL on the mind reader.  Yes address finding is a challenge.  I usually just put the street number in and the street name but leave out the NW , SW or things like that and then scroll down the list.  I have found this to be faster and sure cuts down on frustration.

I have sent several notes to garmin about that functions but as yo know to date no improvement.

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2011, 01:14:57 PM »

Will these maps download into the GPS without any major changes. I spoke with a Garmin Tech and he said only Mapsource will work. I'm sure he wouldn't tell me anything but the truth....lol

Well sort of should have been the answer.  You cannot load the Street and trip file directly in to a Garmin.  You have to convert it with GPS Utility (Do a Goggle search for GPS Utility and you will find it)   Down load it (for free)  open up the S&T file, convert it to .GDB open that file in Mapsource and then load into your GPS.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 02:23:38 PM »

No matter how much of an expert you are, the interface is clunky, the graphics are poor and it is difficult to find stuff. The graphics remind me of the days when we though 256 was great.

Nothing more frustrating then updating the maps on both the PC and teh GPS and then get constant "streets not found" error messages when you bring up a route.

It shouldn't be so hard to make it work in an user friendly manner. I should be able take or give someone a gbd file and have it work on either mine or the other persons GPS.

Although, as much of a chore it is to use Mapsource, it is light years ahead of programming the Northstar 95x series GPS'
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2011, 02:24:35 PM »

MS Streets & Trips 2005 version that I am still using

MV 2013

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2011, 02:34:32 PM »

I have both and have to agree that S&T is a little slicker, interface-wise, with better maps, and overall feel. However, it if very clunky for plotting routes. At least with 2008, in order to force a route, you have to make bunch of avoid boxes, which is absurd. As far as I know, there is no easy way to grab a route, and pull it along a new avenue and pin it like you can with MapSource or even Google Maps. That logic might work well for cagers trying to most efficiently get from Point A to Point B, but is definitely not the hot ticket for charting your own scenic road. Too bad they can't come together and take the best of both!  My .02 fwiw.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2011, 02:48:14 PM »

There is a reason I have never upgraded past 2006, which is on the laptop. My desktop is still using 2005

MV 2013

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2011, 03:28:01 PM »

No matter how much of an expert you are, the interface is clunky, the graphics are poor and it is difficult to find stuff. The graphics remind me of the days when we though 256 was great.

Nothing more frustrating then updating the maps on both the PC and the GPS and then get constant "streets not found" error messages when you bring up a route.

It shouldn't be so hard to make it work in an user friendly manner. I should be able take or give someone a gbd file and have it work on either mine or the other persons GPS.

Although, as much of a chore it is to use Mapsource, it is light years ahead of programming the Northstar 95x series GPS'

I hear what you are saying here but step back and think about it.  Software is no different than hardware.  Meaning would you expect to put a intake system form a Sporster on your bike and expext it to run like it is suppose to??  My point being that it is like adding  apples to a basket of oranges and then expect everything in the basket to taste like apples.  Software is the same.  Like for like works anything else who knows as all combinations just are not tested.

On another note.  I have never experienced the streets not found and I have been using Mapsource since Release 5.  I guess I have been lucky so far.  I just probably jinxed myself with that last statement.  You know how that goes.

I am not saying I have not had a lot of the other issues.  I just learned to live with them and sooner or later they seemed to get fixed.

Northstar 95XXX   That makes me shudder like a dog trying to pass a peach pit!!  A friend of mine had one and never knew the real name of it was a Northstar 95X (Just kidding) he had a lot of other names for it that I cannot post.

Have a good one.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2011, 04:24:29 PM »

Software wise I'm thinking I can open up just about any spreadsheet saved, not matter which company software generated it with my current copy of Excel.
I can open up 2010 versions with my 2003 version, won't have as many embedded formulas - but it will open and will work well enough. And vice versa.

Northstar - I am referring to the marine GPS units, Northstar 951, 952 etc.

MV 2013

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2011, 04:52:35 PM »

Not sure where you got your info but I really doubt it is correct.  Basecamp has the same issues in that you can select the different versions of the maps you have loaded.  There is not detail to be had so you really cannot route a good back road route.  If all you want to do is "Slab Pound" major roads and streets then it will be okay but for those of us that like to see the country and the true beauty of where we ride to then Basecamp is worthless. 

you'r free to doubt it - nevertheless it's going to happen. The newer features like BirdsEye aren't implemented into Mapsource already now. Garmin wants one Software for all applications and that's going to be BaseCamp.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2011, 07:55:10 PM »

Nice job, but what is the advantage to having multiple routes in one file? I usually create one route and save as a separate file. Do combining a bunch of them, say all of the various Sturgis Tour routes in one file offer an advantage?  Thanks!

When I am doing a multi day trip I build a route for each day withing the single file.  That way I download the entire file to the GPS, then each day I pick that days route.  With just the route for the day I get accurate times to next turn, and to the final destination.  If an entire 1000 mile trip is in one route you never know where yoy are in relation to the day, only to the trips end.  I also make side trip routes for when I am staying some place for a couple days during the trip.

It puts it all at my fingertips, organized in the GPS, without having to download something every day.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2011, 01:40:52 AM »

Well sort of should have been the answer.  You cannot load the Street and trip file directly in to a Garmin.  You have to convert it with GPS Utility (Do a Goggle search for GPS Utility and you will find it)   Down load it (for free)  open up the S&T file, convert it to .GDB open that file in Mapsource and then load into your GPS.

I'm not certain about the US version Street and Trip version but the European version MS Autoroute will import and export gpx-files and uses the same maps as Garmin so off course you can directly download your route to a Garmin device.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Dood2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2011, 08:05:58 AM »

I contacted a Tech Rep from Garmin. Asked if Mircosoft Streets and Trips will work with Zumo 660. He replied that only Mapsource will work if I wish to create my own trips.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2011, 12:04:47 PM »

did you seriously expect any other answer  :D
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 21 queries.