Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: GPS upgrade 660 to 665  (Read 2748 times)

cracker

GPS upgrade 660 to 665
« on: February 01, 2013, 01:59:14 PM »

Has anyone added a 665 to their bike? I want to get only the traffic and weather to work (I will purchase both services). I will leave the xm radio not active on the GPS. I want to use the Harmon Kardon radio and the existing xm radio. I have already purchased XM for the Harmon Kardon radio.

thanks for all your help

Cracker

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
Re: GPS upgrade 660 to 665
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 04:21:52 PM »

Not 100% sure but i believe the weather and XM are one of those bundle things with the 665. a buddy put one one his ultra and I think he had to buy both. but i can't remember for sure.
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 06:33:46 PM »

I believe smk is right about having to have xm on in order to get traffic and weather. A real f'd up thing with the 660 is it has lifetime traffic, but it only works with car charger??

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 09:28:50 AM »

I have the 660 and considered upgrading to the 665.  I found another option recently that is almost free, relatively speaking.

To start, I have the fairing mount for my 660.  I turned the bottom bolt around so that the head was inside the fairing, and used a RAM ball 1/4-20 on the outside.  This allowed me to use a short RAM arm and a RAM X-Mount.

In the X-Mount, I can my previous Android phone.  It has not service, but it will still operate apps via wi-fi.  My cell is in the Tour-Pak and set as a wi-fi hotspot.

This allows me to use the following:
Rainy Days -great for quick radar
Weather.Com -Other wx related issues
Gmail- I have a specific email account so I can get emergency messages while riding if needed.
Google Maps- They have a navigator and traffic layers if you select.

This allows me to have my android device out where I can use the apps, and also keep my phone safely tucked away.  I get a new stack of devices every year or so when one of the 4 (soon to be 5) phones in my family is upgraded.  If one gets wet and dies, smash it and trash it!  I have also considered getting a second 1/8" cord or a bluetooth solution so I could utilize my XM app or Pandora on the phone.  So many options, basically for free.

Just something to consider.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 09:58:38 AM by BigLew55 »
Big Lew
IBA #595

cracker

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 04:20:07 PM »

to further detail my question... the CVO with factory wired in GPS and stock XM radio... are wired differently. This is why I had this post under the Road glide ultra section originally.  The wiring is set up so the "GPS turn by turn" runs through the speakers and head set without the Harley splitter or running the GPS output into the AUX on the radio.

Like I stated these are wired differently. Another point is that the CVO (with pre wired 660 GPS and Harmon Kardon XM radio) will not allow the GPS xm radio to work. After plugging in the GXM 40 Antenna into the factory wired GPS connector located under the cowl (road glide faring) it still shows on the GPS as "no XM antenna.

I did call XM radio support and they will give you traffic and weather only without buying XM radio service. I am buying XM radio service for the harmin Kardon XM radio.

I need to talk to someone that has a 2011 or newer (2010 and older does not have the upgraded harness) that has a factory wired 660 GPS and Harmon Kardon XM radio and has upgraded to a Harley Gamin 665, and uses the traffic and or weather.

How or what did you do to get the weather and traffic to work?

I appreciate all those comments above... but I am looking for something a little more specific.

thanks

Cracker

SOTLucky

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2013 CVO Ultra Classic 110 Anniv Edition
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 04:51:44 PM »

When I just bought my 2013 Ultra it came with the 660.  I had them upgrade me to the 665.  I just wanted the Nav Weather no XM radio as I have that on the HD radio as well.  I called and got the weather subscription and checked it on my Auto Mount and with the GXM40 and it worked just fine.  When I went to put it on the bike mount and connected the GXm40 to the wiring harness the 665 showed a connection to the antenna because the weather option showed up under tools, but no subscription.  When I check for subscription the hour glass just spins forever and still doesn't work.  I then tried to send a refresh to the model and still no go.  I called Garmin support today and asked about it, he wants me to try and do a hard reset and update all maps and system files.  If that dont work he thinks I have a bad Motorcycle mount and will send me a new one.

Here is what I think is the issue and I will know tonight or tomorrow when I get to work on it.  I believe when I upgraded through the HD dealer from the 660 to the 665 they didnt swap out the motorcycle mount and left the mount from the 660 on there.  Although they look the same supposedly the 660 mount won't work with the 665 and GXM40.  I have an extra 665 mount that I will try out and let you know.

SOTLucky

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 04:55:56 PM »

i believe Garmin did away with the 660 mount and only sells a 665 mount now.

the 665 mount will support the 660 but not the other way around so the 660 mount was obsoleted
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

SOTLucky

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 05:04:02 PM »

Well I changed out the mount to a spare one that came in the box with the bike and now everything works.  I can now get XM weather radar on the bike.  It was just a bad mount I suppose.

SOTLucky

cracker

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 10:04:04 AM »

naitram,

I am under the belief that 2011 and newer are the same harness...
but there is a electronic board in the harness (under the docking station) that is not for the 665... only the 660.
This all has to do with the NIMS system.

Like I said... when I plug in the 665 the unit come on and says "no XM antenna" (and no signal).

Has anyone just switched the boards?

SOTLucky:
did you change the whole harness or did you just swap the boards in the harnesses?
I don't want to change the harnesses because my harness runs through the handle bars and the connectors are not the Harley connectors (that are stock on my CVO)
I want to try to change the boards
sorry for the late response... I was in England for a while... work related

sorry

cracker

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 01:54:02 PM »

OK... This is the scoop. The numbers are on the back of the harnesses and end in a dash number like, -23, -24, -27, -28.

I opened up the -28 harness (that came with the Harley road tech 665). Attached to the electronic board is a 2 wire connector and a 12 wire connector. It has 11 wires attached with 1 space in #12 position, empty. The 2 wire connector is the power connector.

I opened up the -27 harness (the original CVO with NIMs). Attached to the board is a 2 wire connector and a 12 wire connector. It has 10 wires attached with 1 spare in #12 position empty and the yellow wire that goes into position # 8 is not there.

So I pulled the complete -27 harness out of the handle bars (about a 4 hour job).
Cut the Audio out connector off and added the CVO  locking screw type connector (another hour). Then reassembled all the connectors (about 30 wires and 5 connectors). Re installed the handle bars hydraulic clutch and brake levers and lines and rewired the bike.
(another 6 hours). For a total of 10 hours. Everything works perfect.

When I saw the yellow wire missing on the -27 I assumed the harnesses were different... THEY ARE NOT DIFFERENT! THE HARNESSES ARE THE SAME FOR A CVO.
The boards are different.

When I cut the  locking connector off the cvo harness... it's a 3 wire connector.
The Yellow wire is not used on the CVO locking connector.

Bottom line...  save yourself about 10 hours of work. If you have a cvo with NIMs
and you want to upgrade to a 665. Take the -28 connector that comes with the Harley road tech 665 and remove the board. This requires removing the 7 screws and unplugging 2 connectors... about 5 minutes.

Then, remove the board on your CVO... same procedure... 7 screws and 2 connectors. Swap them... and you will be good to go!

SAVE 10 HOURS OF WORK FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES OF WORK and you can be running your 665 on your CVO that is pre wired for the 660 and the NIMs.

lynyrd1959

• CVO1: '13 Anniversary CVO Screamin'Eagle Ultra Classic
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 09:26:30 PM »

Here's an answer for those thinking about the upgrade I have been working on this week.  I will be doing this process tomorrow.  I can't tell you, Cracker, how much frustration you have saved this impatient old man! Thanks for your efforts in figuring this out for the rest of us!!

SOTLucky

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »

Craker...I am sure glad mine is installed in the fairing it only took me 1 hr to swap out the harness.  Thanks for posting a easy fix for bar installations I will bookmark this for the future if needed.

SOTLucky

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 11:23:55 PM »

Cracker is right, switched circuit board (on my 2011), here's the rub, the same 665 ( used on my 2012) requires another XM subscription. Apparently the XM-40 antenna is not just the antenna, it's the receiver! This means even if I switch the Garmin from bike to bike I still need two subscriptions, that SUCKS!
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 10:28:02 AM »

Not to throw to much water on this, but my experience with the Garmin Weather hasn't been all that wonderful, the information is not very accurate. I have a 665 and while we were in the Hills for the rally we were using the 665 and my wife was comparing the storm cells to the radar from her smart phone and its a good thing we used the phone app or we would have been wet.

Supershooter

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 11:37:57 AM »

I agree not accurate at all
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 24 queries.