Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Stereo Upgrade  (Read 5649 times)

JMazz44

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO Dark Slate/Black Diamond
Stereo Upgrade
« on: February 07, 2013, 01:48:28 AM »

I spent a few weeks reading posts, pm'ing some of you, and stopping into stereo stores to gather information for this project. So thanks to you all for that.

First off I sent the HK unit to Iron Cross who installed the pre-amps for me.  I installed XM radio and placed the module under the radio.  I ordered the "Ezzelle Bracket" but there was absolutely no room under the radio for it, don't know why that is but if anyone is looking for one let me know.  On top of the radio, I placed and secured with Velcro the JL Audio 400/4.  I had Iron Cross remove the bracket on top of the radio, and with the Dremmel tool I removed some of the speedo and tach. I pushed the amp as far back as possible and although some said it wouldn't fit it does, but yes it's tight.   I installed HAT Unity 5.25"'s in the fairing with tweeters and HAT Imagine 6.5"'s in the lowers.  I went with the 5.25's up top because I got a good deal otherwise I would have went 6.5 too. For the saddle bag speakers I ran 16G wire from the the amp, under the tank and in the tunnel through the plastic cover tubes into the connector that's in the bags for the stock speakers.  I had to put pins in both ends of the connector but it miraculously worked.  I have Rockford Fosgate Power 5X7's in the bags and they sound pretty decent.  Had to cut the stock speaker baskets to get them to fit and a little grinding on the speaker as well but they went in with out too much trouble.  So that's pretty much my story.  Thanks again to LOVEMYCVOGIRL for the XM Intel, CVOSTU for the RF information, and MJB765 for the HAT info.  Also Tony and Maria at Iron Cross for their speedy and superb work.  Made it much easier to have this site to use as a reference.  Here's some pics of my job.  Nothing great but it's something.

Also, not sure how to correct this but my speakers "pop" when I turn the radio off and on.  I did connect it to pin 12 which I believe is the radio's remote on off for the amp....  Any thoughts from the "Audio Whiz Kids" out there???

Funny thing, UPS stops at the house and I have the stereo ripping in the garage.  I hear him bang on the garage door with and when I step outside, he says, "From the street it sounded like you had a big house party going on in there."  HAHA, it is definitely a major step up over stock but for the money I paid it should be!

Before:

JMazz44

• Junior CVO Member

Re: Stereo Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 01:49:10 AM »

After

JMazz44

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 01:49:47 AM »

After

JMazz44

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 01:50:28 AM »

Fairing shot

JMazz44

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 01:51:14 AM »

Saddle Bag Speaker

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 07:53:03 AM »

WOW!  What an improvement you made over the stock system!  Happy I could help, now let the tunes roll.   :D
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 12:11:53 PM »

Rock On brother!
How did you get the 400/4 JL amp to fit on top of the factory H/K radio.
Everything I have read says it will hit the outer fairing?

Let me know ... VERY interested!

Again ... congrats on a rockin' system!
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

JMazz44

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »

Rock On brother!
How did you get the 400/4 JL amp to fit on top of the factory H/K radio.
Everything I have read says it will hit the outer fairing?

Let me know ... VERY interested!

Again ... congrats on a rockin' system!

Thanks Rich... I read pages and pages of information you posted as well and kinda just put it all together.  So thanks too for that information.

Actually when I finished, the radio stuck out further than the amp, maybe by a 1/2 inch.  It's tight don't get me wrong but I pretty much followed the installation instructions for  theJ&M 500 watt amp and where it says to cut back on the speedo and tach, so that's what I did.  Took my time with the dremmel tool and cut, put the amp in, cut, put the amp in......... But got it where it may just touch the outer fairing but that's about it. No problems closing it back up.  Looking forward to the spring to take it for a spin and really let it wail! 

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 03:14:59 PM »

Props on your install, especially the JL amp. Like TIF2, I installed two Rockford PBR 300x4 amps on the HK radio so I'm familiar with cutting the speedo and tach buckets to provide additional depth for the amp.

Surprised Scott Ezzell's   Bracket did not work for you--I know of dozens of succesf installs and yours is the first I be read of a problem. Hope you.contact Scott and let him know of your problem.

Again,props on your project.

JMazz44

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 07:50:45 PM »

Props on your install, especially the JL amp. Like TIF2, I installed two Rockford PBR 300x4 amps on the HK radio so I'm familiar with cutting the speedo and tach buckets to provide additional depth for the amp.

Surprised Scott Ezzell's   Bracket did not work for you--I know of dozens of succesf installs and yours is the first I be read of a problem. Hope you.contact Scott and let him know of your problem.

Again,props on your project.

Thanks. 

Yea it was odd.  It was too deep on the bottom and was hitting the top of the fork. Very strange.  But I'll let him know. 

gtaboyz

• Junior CVO Member
  • Diamond Black Inferno Orange SESG

• CVO1: '04 SEEG Orange / Black
    • CVO2: '10 SESG Tequilla Sunrise
    • CVO3: '11 SESG Diamond Black / Inferno Orange
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 11:43:17 PM »

I'm always looking for better ways to upgrade the factory sysyem and it looks like you really did your homework and ended up with a great system,congrats on a job well done! Hope you don't mind if I end up borrowing some of your ideas that worked!
So Far....120.5HP/120.5TQ....Screamin' Eagle Pro110 Upgrade, 10.5:1 High Compression Pistons, SE-259E Cams, Baisley Adjustable Pushrods, Baisley Heads, SE 58mm Throttle Body, SE High Flow Injectors, High Performance Clutch Spring, SE Pro Super Tuner, SE Heavy Breather, D&D Fat Cat 2:1 Exhaust w/ Left Side Falsie, Chrome Inner Primary, Chrome 1.4KW Starter, HD Saddle Bag Lid Speakers w/ Rear Amp, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak, Custom Alligator Seat, Dakota Digital Hidden Antenna, Zumo 665, +++

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 06:54:41 AM »

Looks like a great install. Just in case you haven't heard,,, HAT is coming out with a new 5x7 for the bags.    I know,,, never ends,,,  you did a great job.   Now if the riding season would only arrive for the northeast.   Hope you don't get all what they say is heading your way today.      Stuart.

JMazz44

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 07:29:20 AM »

Looks like a great install. Just in case you haven't heard,,, HAT is coming out with a new 5x7 for the bags.    I know,,, never ends,,,  you did a great job.   Now if the riding season would only arrive for the northeast.   Hope you don't get all what they say is heading your way today.      Stuart.

Funny, the day I finished is the day I saw the post for the 5X7's.  At that point I could only chuckle.  The RF's seem to wail though, but man are the HAT speakers clear.... Think I'll hold off and see what the reviews are on them.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 06:51:28 PM »

I'll be the test bike here.  Can't wait!! :)

UltraNutZ

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 09:50:55 AM »

you can always use a set of metra 5x7 to 6x9 adapters on the lids for a 6x9 replacement.  Just make sure to put a speaker in there that does NOT have a tweeter in the center of the woofer cone.  Water will inevitably (sooner or later) wind up in your voice coil ruining your investment.  BT just came out with a killer 6x9 kit for this and Polk also has a great 6x9 as well with the tweeter mounted to the bridge.

JMazz44

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 12:04:37 PM »

you can always use a set of metra 5x7 to 6x9 adapters on the lids for a 6x9 replacement.  Just make sure to put a speaker in there that does NOT have a tweeter in the center of the woofer cone.  Water will inevitably (sooner or later) wind up in your voice coil ruining your investment.  BT just came out with a killer 6x9 kit for this and Polk also has a great 6x9 as well with the tweeter mounted to the bridge.

BT is biketronics?  I'm not sure which kit off metra I would get for my lids...

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 06:37:55 PM »

I'm waiting for the 5x7s.  Don't want to give up any space,, 

mgrady21

Re: Stereo Upgrade PLEASE HELP
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 08:29:20 PM »

hey Im new to this forum for pretty much this exact reason... do you have anymore detailed pictures of the install? like how much you need to trim on the speedo and tach buckets? or how to take the factory radio top bracket off? I would really appreciate the info if you had it... Maybe if you are up to it you could give me a call or shoot me an email.. I would be greatly appreciative if you could help me.. My email is mgrady21@gmail.com 

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 07:34:22 PM »

"HAT is coming out with a new 5x7 for the bags"       WHO is HAT I can't find any info on them??

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary #61
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 08:02:04 PM »

Hybrid Audio Technology

2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 11:10:10 PM »

THANKS!!!!!!!!

DrSpencer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 02:20:42 AM »

Also, not sure how to correct this but my speakers "pop" when I turn the radio off and on.  I did connect it to pin 12 which I believe is the radio's remote on off for the amp....  Any thoughts from the "Audio Whiz Kids" out there???

I had my 2011 HD HK head unit modded by Iron Cross Audio for a low level line out (I'm assuming this is the same as the pre-amp mod you described having done). This mod was done to send a cleaner/clearer signal to my Hawg-Wired 'Six Pack' amp, for the best fidelity possible.

After checking, and rechecking my grounds, installation, etc., this pre-amp mod turned out to be the cause of my popping. I also experienced a modulating sound coming through the speakers when the rig was on, but the volume turned down (imagine if you could 'hear' your hazard lights, that's the speed/frequency of the sound).

I've since set the Hawg-Wired amp up using the stock HD HK high level out, and no more popping or extraneous sound. Didn't really notice a difference in fidelity between the two methods, either.

I discussed this problem, and solution, with both Hawg-Wired and Iron Cross, and nobody has an explanation. I should also mention that both companies bent over backward to help me find a fix, and I have no complaints with either vendor.

I'm also sure there are also plenty of people out there with this exact mod, and no issues. Maybe my Hawg-Wired amp just doesn't play well with this type of mod?

Good luck.

JMazz44

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 03:23:43 AM »

I've since set the Hawg-Wired amp up using the stock HD HK high level out, and no more popping or extraneous sound. Didn't really notice a difference in fidelity between the two methods, either.

Thanks for answering me on this topic since I still have not solved it. I tapped into I believe is pin 12 which is maybe and orange and white wire off the HK radio. Not 100% positive since I'm not with the bike at the moment. Do you recall the pin # or wire color the high level out was?  Thanks. James

DrSpencer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 11:16:21 PM »

Thanks for answering me on this topic since I still have not solved it. I tapped into I believe is pin 12 which is maybe and orange and white wire off the HK radio. Not 100% positive since I'm not with the bike at the moment. Do you recall the pin # or wire color the high level out was?  Thanks. James

What are you tapping into pin 12 for, power?

JMazz44

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 05:53:42 AM »

No. Power is directly from the battery. It's the remote turn on that is tapped into the 12 pin.

JMazz44

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 05:23:02 PM »

So it took me a while to figure out a look for the inner fairing but I think I like how this turned out.  I had to find chrome tweeter housings for my HAT Unity tweeters since the black was dull and boring.  I then changed the speaker grills to a pair I purchased from Hawg Wired and put the Drag Specialties chrome speaker rings on them.  What do you all think? 

Before

JMazz44

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 05:23:32 PM »

After:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 03:02:45 PM »

After:

I really like the 'after' look.  :2vrolijk_21:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 06:45:29 PM »

I like it also :2vrolijk_21:

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 05:08:38 PM »

After.... :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 20 queries.