Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Built in GPS  (Read 6978 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: Built in GPS
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 08:50:59 PM »

Im not sure anything that is "English built" actually counts when it comes to electronics... Probably the only place in the world that makes American electronic products seem "unbeatable".. Just kidding of course, Range Rovers are beautiful vehicles for sure!
I travel quite a bit for my work and I use GPS religiously all around the country in many different vehicles and most "built in" products work and look great. The trend now is going to larger screens (see the new Tesla for "over the top") with "hands free" operations. IMHO Harley has just set the standard for the touring motorcycle world and I personally think it is very cool and wish I had it on my bike. Dont mean to be argumentative, just IMHO...

You should hear the Sound System in it.  Best I have ever heard in any car or SUV, and better than most home systems.  780 watt Meridian, with 17 speakers counting the sub.  Makes me not want to get out and turn the music off.  Had to get Nav to get the top of the line sound system. 

Nav is big and fairly easy to use.  Just that in rural areas it is not so good.  For the money is should be better than my wifes Nuvi or my Zumo.

I love the way it looks on the new Harley and it is well integrated.  Time will tell if it is any good. 
If I can not load my desired routes, into then it is not of much use for me.

GPS on my bike is used for say after I get to Sturgis.  I load three or four day trips into it, as loops.  This way I do not have to watch for roads and signs and can look at the scenery. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 07:38:08 AM »

Harley did away with the Auxiliary Input on the new radio, no way to tie in another audio source (how am I going to connect my 8 Track player now?). You can plan routes and download them into the system but you have to use Harley Trip Planner and it seams that you can not plan a route with more then 8 or 9 way points, if you do the system will chock, you can have more then that many waypoints in a 50 mile ride. Still not understanding this and I am still playing with it and will let you know what I find out. Looks to me like the GPS is going to be useless for any big trips. Any one who has ever used Harley trip planner know it does not have near the functionality of Base Camp or Map Source. And the fact that there is no longer an Auxiliary Input port you can not even mount and use your Garmin. Going back to the dealer today to play with it some more along with a few routes. Ohh you have to save your route on a USB memory card and stick it in the USB port on the bike. It also does not look to be a Garmin but I do not know for sure just does not look like Garmin programming.

Don't need to do any further hunting a friend sent me this link, seams some one else is already on it.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/902009-2014-infotainment-gps-pathetic.html

jim@hdbomm.com

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:12:26 AM by bissjim »
Ride It Like You Are Retired

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 08:22:47 AM »

... And the fact that there is no longer an Auxiliary Input port you can not even mount and use your Garmin. ...

Why can't you connect via Bluetooth?  My z660 has BT, and the new HD radio can attach via BT.
Big Lew
IBA #595

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 09:15:02 AM »

Harley did away with the Auxiliary Input on the new radio, no way to tie in another audio source (how am I going to connect my 8 Track player now?). You can plan routes and download them into the system but you have to use Harley Trip Planner and it seams that you can not plan a route with more then 8 or 9 way points, if you do the system will chock, you can have more then that many waypoints in a 50 mile ride. Still not understanding this and I am still playing with it and will let you know what I find out. Looks to me like the GPS is going to be useless for any big trips. Any one who has ever used Harley trip planner know it does not have near the functionality of Base Camp or Map Source. And the fact that there is no longer an Auxiliary Input port you can not even mount and use your Garmin. Going back to the dealer today to play with it some more along with a few routes. Ohh you have to save your route on a USB memory card and stick it in the USB port on the bike. It also does not look to be a Garmin but I do not know for sure just does not look like Garmin programming.

Don't need to do any further hunting a friend sent me this link, seams some one else is already on it.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/902009-2014-infotainment-gps-pathetic.html

jim@hdbomm.com

Against my better judgement, I went over to HDF and read that thread. Very good info about the limitations of the new Harley built-in GPS system by the OP there... who has BTW ridden 100,000 MILES IN THREE YEARS. Wow!

One of our own - Jswerve - gets my vote for best smack down post to one of the normal HDF haters there, who was saying that he never uses a GPS nor any of the other electronic doodads on his bikes...

Good for you but the OP likes the GPS and he knows how to use beyond the level that most average users do. His concern is that the GPS doesn't perform well enough so whether or not you're some badass without a map and GPS that rides naked through 70" of snow and 35 below zero temps is pretty much irrelevant.

WELL DONE!  :2vrolijk_21:

Ken
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:18:12 AM by North Georgia Hawg »

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 12:20:54 PM »

if that report is true - and it sound very much like it - this gps unit presently is no use at all.

But if it's garmin made and accessible via usb there is still some hope the firmware may be updated to meet the needs of motorcyclists and the engine may be modified as we use to do so with the zumos. But even if so I had prefered it to be removable. I like dialing in my route on the breakfast table and I quit taking a laptop on tour some time ago - now it's evidently necessary again to do any decent planning with this new toy for 1.800 $  :-X
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 03:48:22 PM »

Why can't you connect via Bluetooth?  My z660 has BT, and the new HD radio can attach via BT.

I need an input for my 8 track player.    Just kidding my 8 track player runs on 110 volts. :huepfenlol2:

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 03:50:47 PM »

Against my better judgement, I went over to HDF and read that thread. Very good info about the limitations of the new Harley built-in GPS system by the OP there... who has BTW ridden 100,000 MILES IN THREE YEARS. Wow!

One of our own - Jswerve - gets my vote for best smack down post to one of the normal HDF haters there, who was saying that he never uses a GPS nor any of the other electronic doodads on his bikes...

WELL DONE!  :2vrolijk_21:

Ken

I loved that one myself.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 09:25:34 AM »

I need an input for my 8 track player.    Just kidding my 8 track player runs on 110 volts. :huepfenlol2:

I wouldn't know where to mount my old player  :nixweiss:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 03:24:09 PM »

ROFL

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 04:05:53 PM »

I got an 8-track installed in my old '66 Ford van in HS way back in 1973. It was sold as "The Wave of the FUTURE!!!"

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 08:30:30 PM »

I lead rides here in East TN and use a Garmin GPS heavily in order to plan backroad routes.  The GPS then becomes the "leader" and I can enjoy the ride and keep an eye on the folks behind me without the hassle of constantly looking for road signs, etc. (of which many don't exist on East TN backroads).  I just completed a trip to Colorado where I had 2100 miles of IN-STATE CO roads programmed on my Garmin (not including the 2700 miles of roads to and from CO).  Many of these routes had 20-30 waypoints to steer the route where I wanted it to go.  I now have 92,000 miles on my 08 FLHTCUSE3 and do plan to buy another Ultra CVO when I hit 100,000 miles (likely this year).  BUT, if the new CVO's GPS is a step backward from what I now have, in no way will I buy a 2014 CVO.  I'm not adding on another Garmin stand-alone product to communicate via BT because HD didn't build a modern GPS into their system.  I HAVE THAT ALREADY ON MY 2008 BUILT-IN HARLEY GPS POS!  It was worthless from day 1.  I program routes on my laptop now, download the routes to the GPS device and patch it to my radio system for voice prompts, which works great.  I expect at least all the features I have now on my discontinued Garmin product (a 2720 Streetpilot) to be available on the new HD GPS.  If not, I'm sticking with my 08 until HD improves it or goes back to a hang on Garmin like they did before.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 07:30:17 AM »

Got this off the HDF site from the person that is testing the new GPS and its capabilities.

"Well, it's even worse than I first thought.

My salesman called me this morning to say they had a couple of new colors arrive, so I zipped up this afternoon and used the opportunity to play some more with the 6.5 and the gps.  Even took my zumo 665 with me to see if Bluetooth might be the answer, as well as a memory stick with 2 custom POI files and 1 route (the same 160 mile route that failed earlier).

I keep several POI files on my zumo (National Parks, Diners/Dives & Drive-ins, Colorado Mountain Passes) and wanted to know how the 6.5 would handle multiple categories like these.  Short answer, it doesn't.  I have 3,000 POI's loaded in my zumo, the 6.5 reported "memory full" at only 200.

I then tried to upload the single 160 mile route to test that a little further.  Lo and behold, the 6.5 reported "memory full" immediately.  Apparently, the HD unit uses the same memory for any and all uploads and it won't hold much - the 200 POIs filled it and wouldn't accept anything else.  It also will not access a USB stick for working memory, only to upload files, so you can't augment internal storage at all.

For comparison, I routinely have 3,000 POIs and 20 500+ mile routes loaded on my zumo at any one time.  The HD unit choked on 200 POIs and a single 160 mile route.

OK, time to try pairing via Bluetooth and see if there is a work-around to use a handlebar mounted unit.  The zumo and the 6.5 paired on the first bike but a customer wanted to demo the bike before we could see if it would successfully stream gps directions or mp3's.  Moved to 2nd bike to continue playing, but we stopped trying after 10 failed pairing attempts.  So it doesn't look like HD's Bluetooth implementation is stable enough to rely on."

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2013, 10:08:54 AM »

You update the software through the USB port. The CVO Limited comes with three upgrades included.

The max amount of waypoints in one trip is 9. If you need more you have to break the trip down in sections. I was told by a HD development engineer they did this so the rerouting should be quicker :nixweiss:

You can connect your iPhone or other device either with the USB port or Bluetooth.

Headset is still hard wired only. Bummer in my opinion.  I love the BMW Bluetooth headset for the K1600. Works flawless.

Plan your ride on your PC and use the HD app to pull it in to the GPS. Pretty neat if you like the HD planning tool. I prefer coordinates and I am not sure how that will work with this unit.

Weather and traffic via XM. Not sure what level of weather details you can get.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2013, 03:28:18 PM »

The max amount of waypoints in one trip is 9. If you need more you have to break the trip down in sections. I was told by a HD development engineer they did this so the rerouting should be quicker :

Next one will tell you all GPS systems work this way. Just like  when you bring your bike in for a problem and the tech tells you " they all do that".

I have faith that Harley will (maybe) fix the problems with the $1800.00 brick.......eventually.

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 02:18:50 PM »

I was dissapointed to see the new GPS system.  Being a victim of the last fiasco, I am hoping that someone gets smart before my next CVO, otherwise it may not be a CVO that I purchase.  On my 2007 I fell for the $1,000+ in-dash GPS option.  I was told that maps would be updated on disk and it would always be current.  Well, we know that they did one update disk (at $400+) and that's all she wrote.  I was very happy to have the Garmin GPS come with the 2012, and have even used it it my car since it also came with a car kit (someone thought that through).  Now here we are again with an in-dash system, and again we have to rely on HD for the updates.  Once bitten, twice shy. 
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 21 queries.