Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: Antenna  (Read 34417 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: Antenna
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2006, 01:32:57 PM »

Mi amigo Jerry....I just installed these on my scooter.....It comes in 12" & 15" they have "laser flames". The reception is excellent......
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ASM%2D8212F&N=700+314918+115&autoview=sku
Ride Safe,Jorge

Like some of the NAPA shorties those don't appear to be compatible with the CB, are they Jorge?

ASM-8212F $19.95
Estimated Ship Date:  Tomorrow
    Show All  

Brand: ALLSales Manufacturing, Inc.
Product Line: All Sales Manufacturing Stubbie Antennas
Antenna Usage: AM/FM radio
Antenna Style: Stationary
Antenna Material: Stainless steel
Antenna Finish: Flames
Antenna Length (in): 12.0 in.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 01:34:00 PM by Rjob749 »

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2006, 02:16:25 PM »

Like some of the NAPA shorties those don't appear to be compatible with the CB, are they Jorge?

ASM-8212F $19.95
Estimated Ship Date:  Tomorrow
    Show All  

Brand: ALLSales Manufacturing, Inc.
Product Line: All Sales Manufacturing Stubbie Antennas
Antenna Usage: AM/FM radio
Antenna Style: Stationary
Antenna Material: Stainless steel
Antenna Finish: Flames
Antenna Length (in): 12.0 in.

Amigo Rob....Sincerely I haven't tested the new ones yet but I was using these ones (rubber material) (see pic) which I purchased during Daytona Bike Week last March and supposedly only worked for AM/FM but they worked for CB as well because I used in MV and they had a good reception.....so let's see [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Have a good day today my buddy [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]..

Jorge
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 04:23:40 PM by jegomez »

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2006, 02:34:57 PM »

Amigo Rob....Sincerely I haven't tested yet but I was using until I got these pair ones like a rubber material (see pic) which I purchased during Daytona Bike Week last March and supposedly only worked for AM/FM but they worked for CB as well because I used in MV and they had a good reception.....so let's see [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Have a good day today my buddy [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]..
Jorge

Ah, those look like my Freedom's, they do work great.

I'm looking forward to hearing if the J & M antennas work well, may just need to buy them.

In the hot weather my Freedom CB antenna is pretty floppy and pliable.  I think I may like the solid ones like J & M better.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 01:30:28 PM »

Ah, those look like my Freedom's, they do work great.

[highlight]I'm looking forward to hearing if the J & M antennas work well, may just need to buy them[/highlight].

In the hot weather my Freedom CB antenna is pretty floppy and pliable.  I think I may like the solid ones like J & M better.

I ordered a set of J&M shorties on the 22nd.  They are supposed to be here on the 2nd.  According to their add, they are pre-tuned for the CB and don't require any further adjustments.  I'll break out my SWR meter to verify that after I install them.  I have a set of Cycle Whips on right now.  They are about 14 inches long, but are questionalble for use with the CB.  Their web site doesn't say anything about it, but others say you can and some say you can't.  So I'm not taking the chance and will take them off when the J&M's come in.  I also like the fact that the J&M's use the set-screw like the stock antennas do.  Hopefully, they'll work great.  I'll post a pic and test results after I get them.

Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Bagger

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 01:46:35 PM »

I was thinking of doing my antennae the same way I did the antennae on my 02 Ultra.  I removed the long wire portion, cut off 12 inches from the end that fits into the mount, and reinstalled.  They worked great on the 02, and I no longer had to deal with the antennae hitting the garage door when I rode in and backed out.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 02:06:56 PM »

I was thinking of doing my antennae the same way I did the antennae on my 02 Ultra.  I removed the long wire portion, cut off 12 inches from the end that fits into the mount, and reinstalled.  They worked great on the 02, and I no longer had to deal with the antennae hitting the garage door when I rode in and backed out.

Those things will poke your eye out, Henry... ;)  

I have the Freedom's, the flexibility is nice, but they do tend to get a little floppy when the temps are warm..the good thing about them is they will bend over for the cover I have when on the road.  Although I have never put an SWR meter on the CB, supposedly the knurled portion all the way up is the setting for our radios.

The J&M's look nice though, and with the set screw would not be a big deal to remove at night when using the cover.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 02:53:22 PM »

I ordered a set of J&M shorties on the 22nd.  They are supposed to be here on the 2nd.  According to their add, they are pre-tuned for the CB and don't require any further adjustments.  I'll break out my SWR meter to verify that after I install them.  I have a set of Cycle Whips on right now.  They are about 14 inches long, but are questionalble for use with the CB.  Their web site doesn't say anything about it, but others say you can and some say you can't.  So I'm not taking the chance and will take them off when the J&M's come in.  I also like the fact that the J&M's use the set-screw like the stock antennas do.  Hopefully, they'll work great.  I'll post a pic and test results after I get them.

Red

Looking forward to your report.  I'll hold off until you get the SWR on them.

Bagger

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 04:13:54 PM »

Those things will poke your eye out, Henry... ;)  

I have the Freedom's, the flexibility is nice, but they do tend to get a little floppy when the temps are warm..the good thing about them is they will bend over for [highlight]the cover I have when on the road[/highlight].  Although I have never put an SWR meter on the CB, supposedly the knurled portion all the way up is the setting for our radios.

The J&M's look nice though, and with the set screw would not be a big deal to remove at night when using [highlight]the cover[/highlight].

Forgive me for changing the subject, but would that be the "Oasis Day Cover?"  I gotta know.

Bagger

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 04:18:11 PM »

[highlight]Those things will poke your eye out, Henry... ;)[/highlight]  

I have the Freedom's, the flexibility is nice, but they do tend to get a little floppy when the temps are warm..the good thing about them is they will bend over for the cover I have when on the road.  Although I have never put an SWR meter on the CB, supposedly the knurled portion all the way up is the setting for our radios.

The J&M's look nice though, and with the set screw would not be a big deal to remove at night when using the cover.

Yeah, I know, and I know I'm pushing the risk envelope, but it does work.  I did, and still do, have a concern about power loss on the CB antenna.  I need to get my hands on an SWR meter and see if I need to get a different coil, since I'm shortening the CB antenna.  It does work, but my worry is I might be shortening the range.  Of course, I could just abandon that idea and go with your solution, but then again, floppy antennae are the downside.  Chit.  Decisions, decisions.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2006, 04:40:27 PM »

Forgive me for changing the subject, but would that be the "[highlight]Oasis Day Cover[/highlight]?"  I gotta know.

Not sure about TC's cover but Ultrafxr has the oasis, here's his post.

[highlight]I made holes for the antennas in my full bike cover and my Oasis day cover [/highlight]came with the holes so that's not an issue for me.  Used to fold my long whips over and tuck behind the back rest to put the cover on.  But my CB antenna broke at the spring mount.  Can't say for sure but I'm concerned about bending it that much which is why I modified my full cover.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 04:40:57 PM by Rjob749 »

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2006, 04:41:05 PM »

Good deal Red.  We'll be looking forward to your report.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2006, 04:43:25 PM »

Not sure about TC's cover but Ultrafxr has the oasis, here's his post.

If I remember correctly I think Terry stated he had purchased an Exigent cover for his for when he was on the road.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2006, 05:35:53 PM »

If I remember correctly I think Terry stated he had purchased an Exigent cover for his for when he was on the road.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

You are correct d00d... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  I'm really happy with that cover too!!  It completely covers up the bike so that nobody can tell what's under there (they might mistake it for a 'Wing). It's small when folded as well.

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Bagger

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2006, 06:26:43 PM »

You are correct d00d... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  I'm really happy with that cover too!!  It completely covers up the bike so that nobody can tell what's under there (they might mistake it for a 'Wing). It's small when folded as well.

I' m sure you know why I'm asking, Terry.  I was thinking about getting the ODC, but decided not to since it looks like it might rub the paint if the wind blows, and will definitely booger up the paint if placed over a dusty bike.  My assumption is the same holds true for that Exigent, or however you spell it, thingy, cover, whatever.  Yes, I do clean my bike on long trips, but it is more like a "Ho bath" than a full fledged break out the hose, and q-tips case of beer cleaning.  My scoot never gets covered unless it is squeaky clean.  You know that Monk guy?  I'm kin to him.   :) [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 06:28:14 PM by Bagger »

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2006, 06:32:37 PM »

Yeah, I know, and I know I'm pushing the risk envelope, but it does work.  I did, and still do, have a [highlight]concern about power loss on the CB antenna[/highlight].  I need to get my hands on an SWR meter and see if I need to get a different coil, since I'm shortening the CB antenna.  It does work, but my worry is I might be shortening the range.  Of course, I could just abandon that idea and go with your solution, but then again, floppy antennae are the downside.  Chit.  Decisions, decisions.
Unless you did a measured cut on your factory whips, you "detuned" the antenna and your SWR is probably way out of whack.  Loss of power is not going to be your concern, as much as torching the front end of your CB.  Chances are, if you only key your radio for very short periods of time, you won't do any serious damage, but that's not a guarantee. Range is never going to very good with a motorcycle CB.  There just isn't enough ground plane to give you a decent radiation pattern.   I'll be happy if I'm running about 1.5:1 on "center" channel (19), and at less than around 2.2:1 on channel 1 and 40 with the J&M antennas.   I have asked what they tried to achieve for tuning at J&M, but have not gotten an answer back from them yet.  I'll keep you all posted.
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.