Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Headlight complaints!  (Read 7093 times)

Camojeeper

• Steve
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Headlight complaints!
« on: December 11, 2014, 06:05:25 PM »

I have daymaker passing lamps and absolutely love them. I also have the passing lamp thingy that keeps Em on with the high beam.
However the stock headlight on my 07 ultra is like riding with a mag-light taped to the fender. Does any one make a better bulb for the stocker lens? LED /HID?
2007 FLHTCUSE2 110"  Rinehart Tru Duals,Hypercharger Air Intake,Dynojet PC III Tuning,Performance Wheel Billet 21"/18",Painted the same color as the General Lee 1970 Hemi Orange

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Headlight complaints!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 09:33:44 PM »

HD has a Daymaker headlamp insert, which would probably be the best match for Daymaker passing lamps.  If you go to http://www.harley-davidson.com/shop/motorcycle-headlights, you can find the one that matches your PLs.

Copy the part number from there, then go to one of the (online) 20% off dealers to save $$.  There are several threads on the forum about them.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

mark

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 10:01:20 PM »

The Daymaker is a $500 headlight.  If you want more visibility for less money, HIDs are $100 or less.  The HIDs seem to scatter the light at night, but are much better than stock. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 10:15:51 PM by Mark »

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 06:10:16 AM »

Is anyone using the HD reflector daymaker?  I know they are imitating the one from truck light.  Stuart

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 02:28:13 PM »

Addition:  When I said "match" above, I should have mentioned there are 2 things to match:  the look of the lights when shut off, and the color temperature (what color the light output is)--it can run the spectrum from slightly yellow, to warm white, to cool white, and on into blue-ish and purple.

What Mark said is completely true; it's just that it's harder (not impossible) to match the color temp of an HID to an LED, and since you already have led PLs, that's why I only mentioned the HD HL.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Camojeeper

• Steve
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 03:52:07 PM »

My only reluctance to the HD Daymaker head light is;I have read many complaints about them in corners? As I ride mostly mountain roads to and from everywhere up here in northern Ca.  I kinda like the look of the stocker with daymaker passing lamps.  Just wish I could do a better bulb and be done.
2007 FLHTCUSE2 110"  Rinehart Tru Duals,Hypercharger Air Intake,Dynojet PC III Tuning,Performance Wheel Billet 21"/18",Painted the same color as the General Lee 1970 Hemi Orange

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 07:20:38 AM »

My only reluctance to the HD Daymaker head light is;I have read many complaints about them in corners? As I ride mostly mountain roads to and from everywhere up here in northern Ca.  I kinda like the look of the stocker with daymaker passing lamps.  Just wish I could do a better bulb and be done.

The passing lamps should give you the side lighting you need with using a Daymaker headlight.  I would want all three lights to match.  The original day makers, non reflector have a better light spread than the reflector led's.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 08:16:58 AM »

I would want all 3 to match as well,, but even with the passing lamps,,,  they aren't the best in hard twisted in the dark. But the passing lamps do make it alot better than without.   Just my.02.   Stuart

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 08:58:30 AM »

The passing lamps should give you the side lighting you need with using a Daymaker headlight.  I would want all three lights to match.  The original day makers, non reflector have a better light spread than the reflector led's.

:confused5:     Are you saying that the projector beam Daymakers have a wider beam pattern than the reflector version?  I don't have either one, but everything I've been reading seems to suggest the reflector version has better side spread.  Projector beam lights on cars are more focused with less scatter, and I had assumed that would be the case with the motorcycle version as well. :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 07:50:19 AM »

:confused5:     Are you saying that the projector beam Daymakers have a wider beam pattern than the reflector version?  I don't have either one, but everything I've been reading seems to suggest the reflector version has better side spread.  Projector beam lights on cars are more focused with less scatter, and I had assumed that would be the case with the motorcycle version as well. :nixweiss:

Jerry

My 12 CVO Road glide had the original day makers, my 15 has the reflector day makers.  The 12 had much better or wider light spread, and it applied to horizontal spread and vertical.  I do not like the lights on my 15 near as well in the curves, they are much narrower beam.

My 13 King came with the original day maker LED and does very well for a signal headlight better then the reflector LED we put in my wives 13 street glide. 

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 10:07:14 AM »

I have daymaker passing lamps and absolutely love them. I also have the passing lamp thingy that keeps Em on with the high beam.
However the stock headlight on my 07 ultra is like riding with a mag-light taped to the fender. Does any one make a better bulb for the stocker lens? LED /HID?

What is the passing lamp thingy? I think I'm going to attempt to make mine stay on. Just curious what you have done?
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 10:44:16 AM »

What is the passing lamp thingy? I think I'm going to attempt to make mine stay on. Just curious what you have done?

On a HDLAN bike like yours, it's a simple change using the Digital Technician (dealership scan tool) to change the programming to allow the spot/passing lamps to stay on with the high beams.  2013 and earlier models required a simple wiring modification or the addition of a small harness Harley (and others) sell.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 11:29:45 AM »

Cool, I am going to talk to them today and see if I can get that done. I hate when the passing lamps quit on high beam.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 07:08:42 PM »

+1 on this recommendation given you already have the Daymaker passing lamps.

A cheaper option would be to replace your stock HL bulb with a HID bulb, but it will be hard to match color-wise (you can get pretty close, though). That's what I did when I replaced the stock dual halogen bulbs with HIDs on my '08 CVO Ultra. I changed the passing lamps to LEDs (similar to Trucklite Phase 6's). Although not a perfect match in color or aesthetically, they do project a nice wide beam pattern day and night.
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

Camojeeper

• Steve
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 05:21:19 PM »

+1 on this recommendation given you already have the Daymaker passing lamps.

A cheaper option would be to replace your stock HL bulb with a HID bulb, but it will be hard to match color-wise (you can get pretty close, though). That's what I did when I replaced the stock dual halogen bulbs with HIDs on my '08 CVO Ultra. I changed the passing lamps to LEDs (similar to Trucklite Phase 6's). Although not a perfect match in color or aesthetically, they do project a nice wide beam pattern day and night.
Do you remember who's HID set up you used?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.