Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: battery recall  (Read 3772 times)

vin-man

battery recall
« on: May 12, 2007, 08:32:12 PM »

Was wondering if anybody has had this recall work done yet. My dealer said he does not have the kits in yet and put me on a list. I'm worried about riding the bike since the recall states a possble fire which could result in injury or death to the rider!!! Sounds pretty serious.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Re: battery recall
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 09:55:47 PM »

Riding a Harley without a recall could result in injury or death just the same ;).

Keep riding and keep an eye on the problem to be fixed. :2vrolijk_21:
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 09:59:39 PM »

What is the source of the recall?

lance711

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Blue
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 12:15:26 AM »

Got my Recall notice today  - it says the positive cable may come in contact with a weld bead on the oil tank and wear through causing a fire.  They are going to install a battery caddy to protect the cable.  Oh well - not gonna stop riding over that.  Too nice out.
2007 SE Softail Springer - Abyss Blue / Blue Pearl
Extra Pieces -
TMax w/ AT
Vance & Hines Big Radius
SE-257 Cams
K&N High Flow Air Filter

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 12:20:29 AM »

Was wondering if anybody has had this recall work done yet. My dealer said he does not have the kits in yet and put me on a list. I'm worried about riding the bike since the recall states a possble fire which could result in injury or death to the rider!!! Sounds pretty serious.

It is my vague understanding that this issue has something to do with the insulation on the battery positive battery cable chafing through, allowing battery voltage to pass through the oil tank. I believe that the oil tank is rubber mounted, so there is a real chance that a great deal of current could find some obscure path to ground through anything metallic attached to the tank, like an oil line.

A lot of the recalls that we hear about sound kind of “chicken chit” to me and I sometimes wonder how these seemingly minor issues qualify for “safety recall” status. This one sounds like something that could really ruin your day. It I were running this machine and chose to continue running it, I would make absolutely sure that the entire length of the battery positive cable was undamaged and well protected from any possible damage.

An oil fire in the crotch could ruin your weekend and I'm not talking about the crotch where Lawrence Welk parks his car. :)

djkak

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 06:47:52 AM »

Certainly does sound serious but just think of the spectacle, twighlight and in the distance the roar of a V-Twin with the screeming of it's rider hurtling down the road with flames coming out of his ar*e, triggers off visions of a David Mann masterpiece.....

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 08:48:29 AM »

I sure would enjoy it more if it were someone else arse on fiber!!!!! :oops:  I pick mine up in a few weeks I sure hope they fix all these nit-noid things before they put it together rather than hand me a few pieces of paper one for the vibe fix and one for the Nad-fire prevention. :o

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Tros

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 10:00:08 PM »

Is this recall specific to CVO springers or all springers?

RPOZ51

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE - Abyss Blue
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 10:06:37 PM »

Is this recall specific to CVO springers or all springers?

It's all Softails.  This is from my letter:

"Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has decided that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists on certain 2007 Softail models (FXST, FXSTB, FXSTC, FXSTD, FXSTSSE, FLSTC, FLSTF, FLSTN, FLSTSC, FLSTSC Shrine, and FLSTF Shrine) vehicles built from June 8, 2006 through March 14, 2007. These motorcycles were built with a condition that permits the positive battery cable to contact a weld bead on the oil tank. This may cause the weld bead to abrade through the insulation on the cable and cause an electrical short from the battery through the oil tank and oil lines. This could lead to an oil leak and/or possible fire, which could result in injury or death to the rider."

. . .

"Please contact your Harley-Davidson motorcycle dealer immediately and arrange an appointment to have a battery caddy installed that will protect the cable and ensure proper cable routing. Actual dealer labor time to perform this service will be less than one hour; however, due to scheduling, the dealer may require your motorcycle for a longer period of time. The parts and labor will be free of charge to you. Recall kits will be available at your dealership beginning the week of May 7, 2007."

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 12:01:31 PM »

. . . which could result in injury or death to the rider."
[/quote]

Yep, it don't get much more serious than that. 

Seegarz 

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 04:23:57 PM »

An oil fire in the crotch could ruin your weekend and I'm not talking about the crotch where Lawrence Welk parks his car. :)

djkak

Don't know about ruining your weekend but it would certainly make your eyes water :love_1: :rolleyes2:

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.