Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: SESG Handle Bars / Shoulder pain  (Read 4477 times)

Ganderson

SESG Handle Bars / Shoulder pain
« on: May 21, 2012, 08:15:02 PM »

Has anyone experienced shoulder pain/burn after long ride on streetglide? I have the 2011 O/B sesg and have started to experience left shoulder issues after a long ride. Have had 2 cortizone shots and it is tolerable but persistant. Was looking at the pull back bars which put them 2" closer but wanted to know if anyone has changed bars for the same reason before I invest more $$. I don't feel out of position but after 100 miles I start to feel a burning/numbing sensation in left shoulder and it just gets worse as the ride progresses. Any thoughts on changing bars would be appreciated. Did not experience this on 09 Ultra. Thanks

Gene

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
Re: SESG Handle Bars / Shoulder pain
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 08:38:26 PM »

Just went over 30 000 KM. No problems.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 08:46:56 PM »

This has been a common complaint with the SG owners.  I also experience this on my '12 SG.  Advice from other's on this site have recommended the Chubby 575 handlebars.  They are 2" higher, 2" back towards you and 2" out.  I have ordered a pair and they are out in my garage and will be installed in the next two weeks.  Everyone swears that they will solve the back/shoulder pain issue.  When I hold them up to my bike when sitting on the seat I am very much a "believer" that they are going to be awesome!
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Ganderson

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »

CVO girl, please let me know how they work out when you get them installed. Will you have to go to handle bar mounted mirrors or will the fairing mounted mirrirs still be useable? I do have mild scholiosis(curvature of spine) and my DR says that the shoulder is bursitus(spelling??) and the position on the bike keeps it aggravated. Thanks

Gene

Wayne G

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2011 Kyrpto CVO SESG2 2/17/11
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
    • CVO3: 2016 Softail Slim S
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 08:58:29 PM »

X2 on the Chubbys  

I installed them on my 11 Krypto, had the same burning/shoulder blade issue.  Have stock seat, the 575s solved the problem for me.  BTW I'm 6' tall, now it really feels like riding a Lazyboy!  
Strange thing is I had a 09 and a 10 streetglide neither gave me the back burning like the CVO did!

LovemyCVOgirl

• SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 09:12:39 PM »

CVO girl, please let me know how they work out when you get them installed. Will you have to go to handle bar mounted mirrors or will the fairing mounted mirrirs still be useable? I do have mild scholiosis(curvature of spine) and my DR says that the shoulder is bursitus(spelling??) and the position on the bike keeps it aggravated. Thanks

Gene

WoW Gene we have some of the same medical issues.  I was in a MC accident 11 months ago and broke my back in 3 places.  It has healed but my reach is not what is use to be, so I really need these HANDLEBARS  :P  NGH on this site says that he never had to change cables and has no trouble seeing out his fairing mounted mirrors.  I will keep you posted when I switch bars but I can tell you that you might as well do yourself a favor and get them ordered.  :2vrolijk_21:

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 09:40:25 PM »

Gene,

Same issue with my stock 2012 SG.  Like others here, I recommend new bars like the 575s, Yaffe 10" ape hangers, or Roland Sands 9" Convoys.  I got the RSDs, which helped a little.

The best thing I did for my back and neck was to get a new seat with a backrest.  Corbin classic solo.  Keeps me from slouching and helps me sit longer without stressing my back, neck and shoulders.   :cucumber:

Good luck finding your "sweet spot"!

Dan

Ganderson

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 09:59:53 PM »

Wayne, you hit it exactly on the shoulder blade symptom....I am 6' also, have a backrest on bike now with stock seat and never had this issue on 4 other bikes.
CVOgirl...keep me posted on your install and whether the stock cables can be used and if your fairing mirrors are not compromised.
lilcoot, I was also thinking of changing seats and will have to check into the Corbin....everyone seems to go with them.

Where/who has the chubby 575's...best place to buy? Thanks to all....I was wondering if this was just me or not.

Gene

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 10:03:19 PM »

Gene,

Had the same problem with my 2012 SG.  Like the others here, I definitely recommend new bars like the 575s, Yaffe 10" Ape Hangers, RSD 9" Convoys.  I got the RSDs and they helped a little.

The best thing I've done was to get a new seat with a backrest.  Corbin Classic Solo.  It keeps me from slouching and I can ride longer without pain in my back, neck, and shoulders.

Good luck on your quest to find the "sweet spot"!

Dan

LovemyCVOgirl

• SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 10:13:40 PM »

Wayne, you hit it exactly on the shoulder blade symptom....I am 6' also, have a backrest on bike now with stock seat and never had this issue on 4 other bikes.
CVOgirl...keep me posted on your install and whether the stock cables can be used and if your fairing mirrors are not compromised.
lilcoot, I was also thinking of changing seats and will have to check into the Corbin....everyone seems to go with them.

Where/who has the chubby 575's...best place to buy? Thanks to all....I was wondering if this was just me or not.

Gene

Gene it's not just you  :-\. But trust me, we can help make you comfortable  :2vrolijk_21: cause we have all been there too  :P. I am shorter at 5' 6" and I have the Harley Reach seat and it really helped but the Chubby's will take care of the rest of the reach.  I ordered my handlebars right off the Chubby web site.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 10:19:48 PM »

X3 on the 575's...MUCH better than stock!!!!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 10:26:56 PM »

mike... hows the mirror issue?  can you still see with them?   your hands don't get in the way? :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:41:22 AM by cvostu »

SilveRT8

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 11:08:06 PM »

I had the same problem on my '12 SEUC and just installed the HD Touring pullback. 2" higher and 2" closer, problem is solved.
No need to change cables either.

Wayne G

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 06:33:41 AM »

mike... hows the mirror issue?  can you still see with them?   your hands don't get in the way? :nixweiss:

The faring mount mirrors will work, BUT your hands and elbows block the lower portion of the mirrors. You have to be more deliberate when looking in the faring mirrors I have to tuck my elbows in a bit when looking in them.  But for me they work OK, I still turn my head when making any moves and watch my a** in the mirrors all the time riding here in Florida!
As for installation no cable changes were needed for mine, but some on this forum had to change cables.  Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the cable issue!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 07:15:40 AM »

mike... hows the mirror issue?  can you still see with them?   your hands don't get in the way? :nixweiss:

I was never really crazy about the mirrors to begin with...they still work as good (or bad) as they did before.

As far as cables go...I needed to replace my clutch line--some have and a lot have not. It seems the quality control at the MoCo as far as length goes needs a little help.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 08:43:53 AM »

I definitely noticed a difference in the stock handle bar position between my 08 SG vs 12 SG.  On the 12 it feels like I'm reaching forward more than on the 08.  I'm getting ready to put on the 575's and I'm hoping they will solve the problem.
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

2Manytoys

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 09:17:44 AM »

I am 6'2" with 32" inseam so I sit tall in the saddle and had the same shoulder/neck pain on my 09 SG. Switch to the WO575's and the pain was gone. I had to put a 4" over clutch cable on but everything else was fine. When I bought my 12 SG CVO I had the dealear swap my bars to the new ride. No change in lines required. As was stated before my hands are in the lower inside corner of the mirriors. That bothered the heck out of me at firat but now I hardly notice them.

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 09:07:11 AM »

I had the same problem on my '12 SEUC and just installed the HD Touring pullback. 2" higher and 2" closer, problem is solved.
No need to change cables either.

P&A book states not compatible with fairing mount mirrors? Are the 575's bend different or does the Mo Co
have different disclosure laws being the Mo Co? Harley's bars are alot less money too  :nixweiss:
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

LovemyCVOgirl

• SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 11:23:58 AM »

Just rode over 150 miles on my '12 SG with my new Chubby 575's and they are much better than the stock bars.  I would get the burn between my shoulders with the stock bars but did not with the new bars.  I am 5'6" and for you guy's taller than me but still burning, they would be perfect for you.  I like the looks cause they are bigger in diameter and the wrist angle is so much more comfortable.  I think one reason they eliminate the burn is because they spread your arms 2" more apart than stock and this helps to eliminate the "squeeze" I felt from pulling my arms in closer.  I was also able to use my stock cables.  They do cause your hands to block the lower portion of your fairing mounted mirrors but with some mirror adjustment I found this acceptable.  Hope this helps everyone that had any questions about these bars.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 11:37:34 AM »

P&A book states not compatible with fairing mount mirrors? Are the 575's bend different or does the Mo Co
have different disclosure laws being the Mo Co? Harley's bars are alot less money too  :nixweiss:

Less money, but the 575's look 100 times better on the bike as the visible part of the bars is 1.25" in diameter instead of 1.00".  I had the 575's on my '06 SEUC and if I owned another Batwing bike, that's what would be on it.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 12:33:24 PM »

Ditto for the WO575s.  Have them on my 07 and just added to my 12 a couple months ago.  Awesome looking but even better for comfort and control.  Only replacement bar I would consider on a bat wing motorcycle.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Wayne G

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 07:22:06 PM »

Less money, but the 575's look 100 times better on the bike as the visible part of the bars is 1.25" in diameter instead of 1.00".  I had the 575's on my '06 SEUC and if I owned another Batwing bike, that's what would be on it.
X2 on the look of the fatter 575s.

I never even noticed the bar difference until my buddy helping me install them said "wow these thicker bars look great", I had to stop and look even holding up the stock bars to compare!  I know I know PICTURES  sorry I didn't take any. 
But at 6'1" the bars are perfect (pain gone) and the mirrors are sufficient for now.  The Mo Co has to say the stock mirrors are not compatable because of liability, if anything at all blocks your vision that would require an automatic statement for our litigious society!!!!  Just my 2cents.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.