Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HD Saddlebag Film Removal  (Read 3849 times)

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
HD Saddlebag Film Removal
« on: October 23, 2013, 02:24:40 PM »

My CVO already had the HD protective film on the saddlebag lids when I bought it, but had so many scuffs that it looked awful to me so I decided to remove the film.

Well, let's say pain in the ass doesn't describe my initial attempt at removing the film and leftover adhesive using steam, alcohol, wife's nail polish remover, WD40, and a lot of initial pulling just to get the film off.

While I did get the first side somewhat done (had residue haze leftover), I decided to do some more research and found here and elsewhere to use 3M's Adhesive Removal Spray (in black can) which I purchased at Autozone.

Second set of film was pulled from the lid leaving a nasty layer of goo. The 3M product worked well you just have to keep enough of it sprayed on while working the adhesive goo off with a micro fiber rag. I wound up using 2 rags to remove all the adhesive goo which had to be trashed when I finished. I also used a plastic scraper to remove the thicker adhesive areas while spraying with the 3M product.

I cleaned the lids and then applied a wax and they look like new.

If you install that clear film on your bike be prepared that the removal will be a pain. That film may protect from paint scuffs, but eventually enough scuffs will make you want to replace or remove it.

Thought I would share the experience in case someone else is looking at this situation.

Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: HD Saddlebag Film Removal
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 09:59:11 PM »

You can buff the film with orbital buffer and light cleaner/wax type product if it becomes scuffed. While, like paint, you cannot remove a scratch that you can hang a fingernail in, you can remove almost, if not all scuffs.
If you do decide to remove the film, lightly heat it before starting and then go slowly as you pull and spray the sticky side with GOOP remover as you pull (get the one safe for painted surfaces) and job should be much easier. Just keep the surface damp with the goop and it will slowly dissolve the remaining residue and can be wiped away.

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 24 queries.