Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SE Compensator installed, heads and cams next week  (Read 3815 times)

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
SE Compensator installed, heads and cams next week
« on: November 20, 2010, 11:10:24 PM »

Well the old compensator looked perfect. I was a little disappointed. I was hoping it was bad and the new one would give me piece of mind. Then I took a test ride. I'm not going to say, WOW, what a difference. But I am pleased with the way it has effected my bike. My bike has always had a loud clunk when shifting. I never worried about it. After the new Comp, the shifts are about a quarter the loudness and from neutral to first is barley perceptible, with no helmet. Top end noise is almost gone. How could this be? Mechanic says the new comp shifts the crank ever so slightly or maybe I should say holds the crank to the left, changing the geometry just enough to make things a little quieter. He said this isn't a certainty but his only theory on why it's quieter. Regardless, it's quieter. Instead of turning over a couple of times before starting it now starts instantly. I'm very happy I made the change.

Monday starts the tear down for heads and cams. I already bought the Andrews 54H cams. They worked so well in my 08 103 SG that I decided to use them in the 110. Bean at Big Boyz did the heads on my SG and I like his work and am letting him do his magic on the 110 heads. I'm undecided about the exhaust still. I like the sound and looks of the SE mufflers and gutting the cats is a probability on the stock headers. I have them for sale but if they don't I will gut them. I am looking at the V&H pro pipe chrome as a possibility. Also have not decided on a tuning device but will check around this week. I am leaning towards the TTS master tuner. Any thoughts?
 Gary

ALRG8TOR

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE granite denim & electric blue fade
Re: SE Compensator installed, heads and cams next week
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 10:57:40 AM »

Thanks for the post! That first clunk into first on mine is a bear too, can't seem to avoid in with any amount of warm up. After that it smooths out a bunch usually with less noise about 3k RPM for most shifts and more like a two step process from 1st to 2nd in more casual acceleration.

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 05:35:57 PM »

My post was done immediately after getting my bike back from the shop. It's still as advertised but when dead cold it still has a first gear clunk, loud as usual. But once it warms up it's seriously quiet. I'm glad I made the switch. The bike still is starting instantly and the engine is quieter.
 Gary

ALRG8TOR

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 01:45:42 PM »

Thanks! I guess there's no getting beyond that first clunk!

Did you ever get the Brawler seat?

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 06:55:29 PM »

Thanks! I guess there's no getting beyond that first clunk!

Did you ever get the Brawler seat?

I did get the seat and it has the look I was hoping for. However, it lacks support at the rear which means you can slide rearwards under hard acceleration. Not an issue right now but the cams and heads will be on in a week or two and I don't want to slide off the back. I may or may not keep it.
 Gary

ALRG8TOR

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 03:58:44 PM »

Now there's something I hadn't considered, lack of support for hard acceleration.

The look does appear promising from what I've seen so far. I was wondering how it matched up with the side covers and imagined an accent to the EBF tail flare paint on my version.

Looking forward to your after mod pics!

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 10:40:24 PM »

I am using a Rhinehart 2 into 1 and I am very please with the results

ALRG8TOR

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 11:54:08 AM »

Landshark,

Did I see your post about the Rhinehart 2 into 1 on one of the other threads? Did it include a picture? I seem to remember 2 or 3 of the 2 into 1 pipes pictured on FXDFSE bikes. All looked great to me.

When you added the pipe did you add an EFI or remap or Dyno-tune? How do you like the sound? How do you like the performance?

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 10:51:14 PM »

I did not post a picture but I know at least one other person posted one earlier of this pipe on this style bike.  I did a custom remap and the power is strong.  I also like the sound.  I had been using supertrapps on all my other Harleys and I am very please with this install.

ALRG8TOR

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 12:01:29 PM »

Landshark,

Thanks for the info.

How many hours did the custom remap take? From what I hear most of what gets done in this area runs about one hour, but that may just be a standard remap and not a custom.

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 05:32:57 PM »

Well a variety of problems came up during the modifications but I finally picked up the bike last night. It was raining and cold so I took it straight to my garage. I ended up going with the the V&H Propipe Chrome. It looks good and sounds perfect for my tastes. I'll take some pics of the pipe and the solo seat in a day or two and post them. Soon as I take it out for a road test I'll report back.
 Gary

ALRG8TOR

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 08:14:49 AM »

Gary,

Looking forward to the pics.

We had a few nice days last week and I was able to get mine out for about an hour, since then it hasn't been above 30 with about 5 more inches of snow last night. Looks like good riding weather is still a ways off.

Thanks for sending the pictures of the sundowner seat on your bike, it looks good - we plan on picking one up this spring for more two up riding.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 12:43:18 PM »

Hello guys it's nice to find other owner of the little beast bike I call Yellow Jacket, since I do have the yellow one. :P

I bought mine from a dealer in the OB of NC after finding it on a road trip on the bagger. I love mine and did a Propipe chrome HO with SERT. The stock pipes were way to mellow for me and I took some ribbing from some friends over it. They don't poke no more fun at me and can't keep up anyways. I am getting the bike out of the shop this weekend after getting a port and polish withe the kit containing the 2593 cams and the 10.5:1 pistons. I will post numbers of the new dyno tune and impressions of the ride next week.

Long live the SE Fatbobbers. :cucumber:

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 12:50:34 PM »

Oh I forgot to ask what a compensator is and why did you feel you needed one? The klunk is fine to me, lets other know to get out of the way cause I'm a comin.

I also feel there is no way I could change the seat since it is so much a part of the custom look of the bike. I do use a circulator pad when I am planning day trips over the 200 mile mark. I rode 320 one day and almost missed the Raod King. :D

BTW not all misspellings are accidental, we talk this way in upper East TN.

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 24 queries.