Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Throttle Slack  (Read 2833 times)

MLS59

Throttle Slack
« on: January 14, 2013, 12:49:20 PM »

After riding a "fly by wire" for a while, going to a cable operated throttle just feels different. My question is how much slack is in the actual movement of the hand grip before anything happens? If you look at a spot on the grip, there is about 1/2" of slack back and forth. I thought about lengthing the cables until its a lil tighter. Any thoughts or should I ask dealer to look next time in? 

cvo1717

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2013 CVO BREAKOUT BLACK SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 CVO FATBOB BLACK DENIM HELLFIRE FLAMES TRADED IN
    • CVO3: 2020 CVO street glide
Re: Throttle Slack
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 07:38:30 PM »

MY cable does not have that much slack maybe
After riding a "fly by wire" for a while, going to a cable operated throttle just feels different. My question is how much slack is in the actual movement of the hand grip before anything happens? If you look at a spot on the grip, there is about 1/2" of slack back and forth. I thought about lengthing the cables until its a lil tighter. Any thoughts or should I ask dealer to look next time in? 
you need too adjust yours
Mike
2013 CVO BREAKOUT 117 KIT
ROSAS HEADS WOODS TW 8-6 CAM
RB RACING 2 INTO 1 PROSTOCK CHALLENGE PIPE
130 HP  134 TQ STD
126 hp   131 TQ SAE

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 07:55:49 PM »

If you have 1/2" of free play measured at the outer edge of the grip, you have approximately 3/8" too much play.  A better figure would be 1/16" - 1/8".  If you aren't familiar with the correct procedure for adjusting a two cable system, I'd suggest letting a pro do it for you the first time while you observe.  It's very simple actually, but you do need to verify the throttle goes to the wide open stop and then goes all the way to the idle stop when you release the grip.  Recheck with the bars turned all the way to the lock in both directions to make sure you still have free play and the throttle lever stays on the idle stop.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MLS59

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 11:20:35 AM »

Sounds good to me. That is a pretty important part of the operation IMO. WFO is not a common occurrence for now. Just not used to foreward controls and the extra zip that thing has.  ;D

98fxstc

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 FXDFSE
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 07:27:19 PM »

You need to get a service manual if you want to adjust things yourself !

Otherwise , go see your dealer !

And if you only just got the bike , it shouldn't have been like that !

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 01:06:40 AM »

I'm surprised the cables and those tine brass pieces haven't fallen out of the grooves.   That needs to be properly adjusted sir.  :o

MLS59

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 10:02:07 AM »

Talked to a friend of mine who is now working at the local HD dealer as a tech. (I did find a service manual for my bike but it is just a supplement for the CVO model and covers the particular things different concerning it.) Did as he said and adjusted both cables to remove the slack and still allow full movement of the throttle without going to far. Feels MUCH better! Now if this darned snow would leave and warm up a bit to get it out and try it for real... I'm sure I'm not the only one who has the white stuff.

Thanks for your responses.

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.