Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Limp Mode  (Read 1527 times)

Nuke

• Nuke
    • ID

Limp Mode
« on: July 02, 2024, 11:20:57 PM »

I have a 2021 CVO Road Glide and has recently been going into limp mode with no warning or any other external indicators.  The check engine light and traction control light also comes on when this occurs.  I have to pull the main fuse in order to reset the codes and get it to run normal again, but this will only last anywhere from 5 to even 200+ miles before it does it again.  Codes are always the same - ECM P1100, P1511, P2135 / ABS C1100.  Dealer could not duplicate and suggested it could be the throttle body, so I replaced that.  Went into limp mode on the way home from picking it up at the dealer.  Anyone else encounter this issue?

Sean
2021 CVO Road Glide
2006 Night Train

pauly_2

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

Re: Limp Mode
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2024, 07:47:14 AM »

Hi Nuke,

I have no real answer, but the meaning of each code is below. I can understand the dealer thinking it’s the throttle body (ie, replacing the tps and map sensor theoretically kills some of the reported problems), but I’d be more inclined to think of a wiring or ground issue due to the power management, and ABS pump issues, along with the fact they all come on at once. Any dodgy or loose connectors? Apologies I’m not of more help!

P1151 ETC power management mode
P2135 TPS correlation error
P1100 means there is an issue with the mass airflow sensor
C1100 error code has occurred, this indicates that your (abs) pump switch circuit has failed

Edit
Have a look at post 5 here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1280239-p1511-and-p2135-trouble-codes.html

Also, post 3 here https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=52826.0

Thanks
Pauly
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 09:38:18 PM by pauly_2 »

Nuke

• Nuke
    • ID

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2024, 04:45:23 PM »

Pauly,

Thanks much for the help!  I believe my problem is contained within those two threads you linked.  I have spoken with the dealer about it and it seems they have found a wire in the TPS connector that is expanding due to heat and therefore creating some bad voltages.  Bottom line is I'm replacing that connector and hoping that fixes the issue.  I'll repost here after I have a couple hundred miles on the bike when I get it back to make sure that fixes the problem.

Cheers,
Sean
2021 CVO Road Glide
2006 Night Train

pauly_2

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2024, 08:13:05 PM »

Hi again,

You’re welcome!
That’s great news - let us know how it goes.

Thanks
Pauly

Nuke

• Nuke
    • ID

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2024, 05:17:11 PM »

Just to follow up in case someone else has the same issue...

Third time was the charm.  First, replaced the throttle body - didn't fix the problem.  Next was the TPS connector - didn't fix the problem.  Finally replaced the throttle twist grip.  That did the trick.  Over 300 miles now and no limp mode.

It's crazy that with all the electronics, codes, etc. that the only way to fix a problem with this bike appears to be trial and error.  What should have cost me $300 ended up costing about $1700, and two full months at the dealer.  I'd be more angry about the time if it hadn't been so hot here this summer - probably wouldn't have done a lot of riding anyway.
2021 CVO Road Glide
2006 Night Train

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2024, 07:21:42 PM »

I would have expected to see a P2138 to be associated tonthebtwist grip. Glad you got it fixed!
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 21 queries.