Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Biker Bar bar installation  (Read 2097 times)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Biker Bar bar installation
« on: September 17, 2021, 06:27:52 PM »

Trying to get the bike and trailer set up with the biker bar and this is my first time using one. It was suggested by several that once I find the spot on the bike frame for the clamp that I mark the frame. Been playing with it a little this afternoon and it looks like I am landing about 6" off the rear frame weld before I can get the jiffy stand to clear with a little help. For those of you that use the biker bar and have marked the frame could you share the measurement that you are using to set the clamp up? This is an 09 touring frame.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Biker Bar bar installation
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 07:28:58 PM »

Yes, it goes behind the kickstand.....you should be able to move the kickstand up and down (at least I was able to on my 13 CVO Ultra Classic) with the biker bar mounted on your frame. 

I never marked my frame......I just eyeballed it each time.  Sitting on my bike, I was able to lean over, swing it under my bike and clamp it down from my seat position.  Once in awhile I'd put it to far forward and have to move it back because I couldn't get my kickstand up.  With your kickstand up, depending on where you mounted the baseplate in your trailer, you should have an inch or more of room to move it forward or rearward on your frame. 

I posted a lot of photos on this forum if you do a search.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 07:48:24 PM »

Thank you JC, I knew you would have the answer. I will search again. I may have narrowed it down to much the way I searched

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 11:15:01 PM »

I line mine up with the reinforcement pan under the frame rails from side to side.  You could also just get it where you want it and then put a black cable tie on the frame tubes and then mount the bar just behind them every time and you're good to go.

On the trailer/toy hauler, I made up some 1/4"x1.5" angle iron from side to side from the center floor plate out to the RV "I" beam.  Then sandwiched the 1/4" plate between the angle iron and the floor.  Two bolts in each plate go through my angle iron.  I would have to strip out the floor bracing before my two Biker Bar mounts came loose.

I also found that the Honda Helix I have has the same frame tube diameter as my Harleys and similar width.  I cut one little slot in the Helix pan and the clamp bar fits perfect and the main center stand can still be used.  I found though that the Helix is just a bit too high and with the brackets on the mounting all the way up, I have to jump down on the Helix to get the clamp bar into the latch slots.  But it works great.  The Harley CVO looks very nice sitting next to the Helix!!!

Good luck with your mounting!
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 12:00:39 AM »

Agree with lining up on the reinforcement pan location. I bought a silver sharpie and marked it on the frame once I got it tweaked where I wanted. Now I am loaded and ready to hit the road in less than 5 minutes. Once you have used the biker bar, you will wonder why you did not get one sooner.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 05:44:18 AM by Threephase »
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 09:16:25 PM »

Thank you all for the replies. I will play with the bar till I find a spot that works well. I think where I had it was pretty close to the cross plate on the frame and the jiffy stand would clear with a little help.
Dan
I dont trust the floor of the trailer either so now the I have the bar mounted in the trailer I have some 2 X4 X 3/16 rectangular tubing that will be welded to the plates and the back to the frame as well. Once that is done I have no concerns about the base staying put. This is our first attempt at a toy hauler and is very basic. If itnworks out for us and we decide to upgrade I will keep the base and build new mounting brackets for what ever we end up with.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.