Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Ride Impressions  (Read 1053 times)

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
First Ride Impressions
« on: February 27, 2012, 12:49:02 PM »

It was a nice, but windy, 60 degrees in St. Louis on Sunday so I took the bike out.  Here are some first impressions from 50 miles in the saddle:

• Power is ample, but with the stock exhaust I sense the bike is too restricted.  The acceleration is not snappy like my 2010 Fat Bob with no cat and the same air cleaner.  I am not sure if the counter balancer masks that snappiness or robs some of the power, but a quick twist of the grip does not produce the kind of rush I would expect from a $30k motorcycle.  I plan on putting some V&H pipes on it, but Fuel Moto does not have a map for it yet.  My local dealer says they can put a Power Commander on it, but they have not made any reference to a CVO specific map.
  • The ergonomics are good, but not great.  The low seat height actually makes the bike less comfortable than a stock 103" Street Glide I also considered for purchase.  I cannot stretch out like I would like to.  While I did not like the forward controls of the Fat Bob all the time, I never felt cramped.  Perhaps the mustache highway bar I see in the P&A catalog would help this problem.  If it wasn't for all the chrome bits on the CVO, I probably would have gone with the Street Glide for more comfort.
  • It was very windy, so I cannot appropriately comment on the windshield's effectiveness given all the side gusts.  I can say that I like the overall setup even if I put my first nick in the shield  >:(
  • The speakers and ipod setup were fine up to about 50 mph with minimal gusts.  However, I can now see the advantage of a Street Glide fairing and the audio system of the CVO Street Glide should I want to share my Adelle with everyone on the highway.
  • Handling was interesting.  Coming from a Fat Bob I felt there was less ground clearance even if I did not scrape anything.  However, as I have read several rider reviews noting the lack of clearance I have deliberately not leaned her over too far.  I may have to put a little more faith in the setup.
  • The bike is damn heavy.  I get it is all steel and has more crap on it than my Fat Bob, but Harley would do well by investing some R&D into lighter weight components.  It would be nice if the CVO's benefited from lighter weight wheels or something that made them more well engineered than their more common counterparts.  If this is supposed to to be the "M" or "SVT" of the Harley line, then higher quality components everywhere, versus more chrome would be a nice differentiator.
  • The NAV is helpful and placed just about perfectly in the screen.  I would hope that Harley will realize that most people do not use CD's anymore and replace the full fairing bikes' head unit with a smaller one and make room for a GPS.  Other manufacturers like BMW are doing this.
  • I simply love the ape hanger bars.  Their function and internal wiring is simply awesome, very clean and nice to look at.  All Harley's with electronic throttles should have internally wired bars.

I think it was a great purchase.  I don't plan on using the shield in the hot summer as more inflow is better.  The bike and handlebars also look much better with it off.

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Re: First Ride Impressions
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 01:48:51 PM »

Great writeup.  I'm with you as far as the bars go.  I didn't think I would ever like ape-hangers but these are just the right height, I believe.  Does give it a good, clean appearance.  The low clearance does indeed add an interesting effect in turns.  Just about the time you think you made it around clean, it may surprise you.  Making a right turn into an uphill grade has gotten me more than once.  first thing you may want to do is while the bike is still new, take the time to adjust the rear shocks.  I have mine adjusted out 4 full turns and it seems to be fine for me and my wife (i'm 200 and she is now a trim 135  :orange: so it doesn't seem to bottom out.  The tool that is supposed to come with the bike doesn't do much good because it is just a skosh long to be able to turn the shock.  But I am adapting.  I really enjoy the ability to strip stuff off if for nothing other than washing the bike completely in less time than non-quick release.  The lighting is what I am going to have to attack with vengeance before long.  This '12 looks like it will lend itself well to putting a light bar on and having a place to tap into for power for it.   Got a new horn in the mail the other day (high output Harley Horn from about 2002 or 2003 or so.  Will startle the crap out of you standing still but out on the road, who knows what people hear or don't hear when they are in their cage with the stereo turned up, the darkened windows rolled up, and shaving or applying makeup, or a hundred other things that divert attention and whatnot.  Did I mention talking on their cellphone rather than looking or listening for bikes blowing their horns????  Just get sick of that mousy stuff all the bike companies put stock on these bikes....  But I do love the bike also,.  Pork

brr5

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 05:50:42 PM »

Pork-
You need to update your ride to you new 2012  :jack:  :2vrolijk_21:

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 07:09:26 PM »

Ha!  yes, you are the Hi-Jackster!  I was actually thinking about that the other day.  Have to devote some time to that.     

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.