Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Bent push rods......oooch!  (Read 14310 times)

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
Re: Bent push rods......oooch!
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 07:31:35 AM »

It's real hard to bend a push rod on a late twinky.  You could probably do it dead revving the motor, and you can do it downshifting.  You might be able to do it if you missed a shift right at the red line.  But a fairly new scooter should have false neutrals and such.

Even so, low mileage scooters show up from time to time with bent push rods.  Almost makes a person wonder if they are getting bent during the original engine build.

Now some peeps have said that bent push rods alter valve timing and make the scooter run poorly and such.  I like to hear a little more as to how that works.  Seriously I would.

A bent rod is just shorter than it should be, that's all.  They usually rub the tube and make strange noises.  But as long as the bend is minor, the tappet extends and makes up the difference.  If the rod was bent bad enough, you could run out of adjustment, but then you'll have a god awful valve clack.  If the rod was bent enough to effect valve timing to the point of running poorly, I'm thinking that you prolly would be more concerned about that thrashing noise it was making.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 07:36:40 AM by Thermodyne »

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 12:37:22 PM »

Well, Therm, I am no expert.  when I pressed the wrench last week, he told me that he had observed and talked with the guy who was doing the actual work on the bent push rods.  He informed me that they "were really very slightly bent" but that the MoCo wasn't going to pay them for the work unless they "found" something.  that was what I was told.  I am from the same camp as you in that I cannot imagine much difference in performance if it was just slightly bent but if it was bent in a J, that would indicate much deeper problems.  How that could happen is beyond me.  Just know what I was told and how I treat my engine.  You could be correct in that there are other problems they have uncovered and we as customers/owners are probably never going to get the real skinny on what is the matter.  as long as they slap a new engine in there, I am good.     Pork.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 05:03:13 AM »

[/quote] Hey Pork, In early of November of 2012, My bike ran terribly on the the way home, missing and popping.  In the morning it wouldn't start so I had it towed.  Moco took a long time to figure it out.  Bent push rods was one of the diagnosis .. .but two months later in the shop they still haven't figured it out . . . till finally they gave me a new motor.  But by then I had already traded it in for a new Breakout. Sure it still has the 110 motor but at least this time I got an extra 2 more years on the warranty.  I figure it just might be my last bike so after the warranty is up I just may throw a 120R in there . . . or a 103 with an upgrade kit.  Not to keen on the 110 these days.  So far, my fxsbse after 8500 miles is still pulling strong!  Good luck!!
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 22 queries.