Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 110 Break in time  (Read 1952 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: 110 Break in time
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 10:14:47 AM »

Just don't lug the engine...ever really, but especially when new.  Personally, I rarely let my RPM's drop below 2200, unless it's on flat ground under no load.  For break in, I do about a dozen 3rd gear runs on some open road up to about 60mph, then let the engine brake the bike back down to 2200, rinse, and repeat.  Then I'll stop, smoke one or two, and do it again.  After about 50 miles, it's done.  Then I try not to run at any constant RPM for another 400 miles or so...like Interstate riding.  Certainly, if you're starting with a built motor that's never been started and run, other ways may be better.  But by the time your bike gets shipped to the dealer, then put together and run at the dealer, it's been run some, and lord only knows how.  Personally, I think the "break in" suggested in the owner's manual is more to keep new riders from killing themselves by limiting RPMs and speed for 500 miles.  I would never run a new engine up to redline, but up to 4K or so won't hurt anything, IMO.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

wideglidejoe

• Full CVO Member
Re: 110 Break in time
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 12:48:12 PM »

My 3 Harley break-in experiences........(I've only had 3 new ones)

2003 Anniversary WideGlide; owners manual said no more than 55 mph for first 500 miles, and no more than 65 mph from 500-1,000 miles.  No mention of RPM, I could've over-revved it in lower gears w/o exceeding 55 or 65 mph, but I didn't.  I followed the guidelines, it never used any oil in 20,000 miles, then an owl hit me and I totalled the bike and almost totalled myself.

2005 WideGlide; I don't remember the exact break-in guidelines, but I think they were similar to 2003.  I was probably a little more aggressive on break-in riding, but not abusive.  It's got 47k miles on it now, and doesn't use any oil.

2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 CVO; break-in guidelines were totally different!  From the owners manual "During first 50 miles, keep the engine speed below 4,000 RPM in any gear, and don't lug it.  Up to 500 miles, vary the engine speed and avoid operating at any steady engine speed for long periods.  Engine speed up to 5,000 RPM in any gear is permissible."  I did exactly as described, it has 11,000 miles, no oil useage.

I guess all I'm saying is I followed the HD owners manual fairly closely, and it has turned out OK.

I had an old codger in his 80's, who used to be a HD factory backed racer from back in the day ( I can't remember his name) tell me to "ride it like I stole it" and he was standing in a HD dealership in KC, MO signing autographs when he told me that.
2011 FLHTCUSE6 Blue
2005 Wide Glide
1962 Mustang Bronco Scooter
1972 Indian (Italjet 50cc) minibike
1965 AC Cobra replica
1955 Chevy Bel Air
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 25 queries.