Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Take that exhaust pipe out of my ear!  (Read 5421 times)

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
Take that exhaust pipe out of my ear!
« on: April 06, 2004, 09:56:43 AM »

I am really scratching my head on which exhaust pipe(s) to go with  [smiley=blank.gif] so I would like to get some ratings on what everyone is using and weather they like it or not. sound is really important to me so please tell me about the volume (rate them 1=stock 5=drag pipes) any previous experiences is are greatly appreciated!!!
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

MoChrome

• Full CVO Member
Re: Take that exhaust pipe out of my ear!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 10:46:12 AM »

I had (note the word had) a set of Wild Pigs on my bike. They were a little loud for me (on a scale of 1 -5 I give them a 4).  For the money they are great pipes. You can buy "blems" on ebay for $124 which includes a free t-shirt.  I guess I'm getting old as I prefer the sound of the HD touring mufflers, especailly for all day riding.

Kingsalmon

• Senior CVO Member
  • HD gets too much of my money
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 11:14:53 AM »

I have the screamin eagle slash cut slip on mufflers on my Ultra. Not throaty enough for me. I put the V & H oval Slip ons on my SEEG and I really like the sound. Much louder and deeper than my ultra. This might have to do with the Ultra 88 and SEEG 103. I don't know. On the scale, about 3.5.
Loud when you romp on it, but I can still hear the stereo at 70 mph around town. Ha Ha.

Someone else said they did not like the V & H ovals. Hopefully you will hear from him as well.

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 08:16:07 PM »

Offender,
I recently put Reinharts (yeah yeah I know about the loss of torque!) on my bike and the sound is probably close to a 5 as you can get without being a drag pipe. I've had SE High flow slip ons on a 98 springer that rated a 2 - 2.5, as well as se racing duals exhaust (no crossover) on a '99 rk that I would rate at about 3 - 3.5 normal driving and a good 4 when you got on the throttle. If what your looking for is sound, the Reinharts are awesome when you get on the throttle, they'll rattle the wax out of your ears if your not carefull. [smiley=shocked2.gif]
18,900 I gotta slow down!.

starvin

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 08:24:33 PM »

I have the screamin eagle performance mufflers 65115-98b They sound alright but I don't think there loud enough, I had the slash cut 64903-99 on my 02 classic and i actually liked the sound of those better.

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 08:48:39 AM »

Please help me out people [smiley=laugh.gif] I need to decide pretty quickly on which way to go and you know you can never have to much info. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 09:01:19 AM »

Please help me out people [smiley=laugh.gif] I need to decide pretty quickly on which way to go and you know you can never have to much info. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Thunderheader is the best performance exhaust in my opnion and has the best sound to them.......hands down.  The drawback for me is I'm getting to old or they're getting to loud. lol

I went with V&H Pro Pipe this time.  It's o.k. but not a comparison to Thunderheader, in my opnion, in sound or performance.  However, they are a little quieter.

If I had it to do over again, I think I'd give the D&D Fat Cats with the flasie left side a chance.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

re-tread

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 09:18:19 AM »

I went with V & H slip ons, then sounded great very low rumble 4.0, but absolutely no power increase, and alot of popping, might have been the install, never really sure.
Currently running Reinharts with the 2" baffle, tons more power and pull, sound is right up there. I'd rate them a 3.5, because they have a different HD sound, not real low, but when you get on the throttle they crack, like get out of my way!!! I totally satisfied.
SE air box
Reinharts
Race Tuner

Benerag

• SEEGs Rule
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 10:19:27 AM »

Ofender,

I still feel a bagger/dresser looks best with a pipe on each side.  On my 2000 Roadking with a 95inch kit, I went with the Thunder Header with a falsie.  Torque was right at 100lbs.  So, performance wise I would recommend them for the SEEG.  

I went with the White Bros. slip-ons on my SEEG, but the jury is still out.  Won't have the bike dyno'd until 30 Apr 04.  If there's no significant increase in torgue, I may opt for the D&D Fat Cats.  They look great and our fellow SEEG owners that have gone with D&D, all seem happy.  

Rumor had it that V&H's was coming out with a falsie for their Pro Pipe.  I called V&H yesterday and was told they were not.

Ben
04 FLHTCSE Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide
01 Ford Lightning

Keepinit2

• Yeah baby!
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 10:43:47 AM »

Ofender,

I debated for a long time too and finally decided on Bassani slant cut slip ons with a 2" baffle. AND I LOVE EM! Set up with a SE hi-flo air filter and HD race tuner. Had it dyno'd and it came in at 108 torque. Sound is deeper than V&H slip ons which I had on my Road King prior to the SEEG and performance is better. Cost about $400. Unless you go 2 into 1, this is the best sounding and performance slip on out there in my opinion.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 11:01:16 AM »

Ofender,

I debated for a long time too and finally decided on Bassani slant cut slip ons with a 2" baffle. AND I LOVE EM! Set up with a SE hi-flo air filter and HD race tuner. Had it dyno'd and it came in at 108 torque. Sound is deeper than V&H slip ons which I had on my Road King prior to the SEEG and performance is better. Cost about $400. Unless you go 2 into 1, this is the best sounding and performance slip on out there in my opinion.

Will you please post your dyno sheet in the Dyno Numbers thread?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2004, 11:50:34 AM »

JCZ: Some time ago, just before Vance and Hines was sold, they changed the collector design on the Pro Pipe to incorporate the heat shield. Unfortunately, the changes also resulted in some performance compromises compared to the original Pro Pipe. The baffle makes a huge difference in performance and sound. I hate to sound like a broken record, but Brad at Freedom either has or can make a baffle for your exhaust that might make you a whole lot happier. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 24 queries.