Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Loud Clunk Sound Coming from under primary cover  (Read 774 times)

DIESEL-FUMES

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

Loud Clunk Sound Coming from under primary cover
« on: August 19, 2019, 12:03:47 AM »

Hello all. Question about my 2012 road king classic that has 8,000 miles on it. It has devoplved a pretty good clunk sound when I let go of the throttle and then increase the throttle. If i go back and forth on the throttle. while going anywhere from 20 to 50 mph. I get a pretty good hard clunk sound. Doesn't sound like a chain slap. It almost sounds like the compensator is slapping back in forth. Sorry that's the best explanation I can come up with. I have had compensator issues in the past with my other bikes. But this isn't anything like it. It is a pretty good knock sound. Like I said . It will do it if I let off the throttle. then come right back on it. Back and forth.. was looking for some ideas before I pull the cover. Was thinking maybe the clutch needs to be re adjusted. Anyways, any ideas or help is greatly apperciated. One last thing. I just drained the oil. The magnetic was clean. No shavings..

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
Re: Loud Clunk Sound Coming from under primary cover
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 06:12:39 AM »

If your sure the noise is coming from the Primary, then the cover needs to come off for a visual inspection, my thoughts after many hours spent trying to cure "Compensator" issues are a Loose comp bolt,  broken or worn comp springs, if there are no metal shavings in the oil, I doubt its worn Comp Ramps (this normally leaves large amounts of metal filings in the oil).

How does it sound on start-up and switching off, any clunking or kick back noises?

If memory serves you year has the SE Compensator, they had a lot of issues, and there were about 4 different versions till they got it right (Well nearly).

The latest version is part number 40100076.

Check the chain tensioner as well,  you never know, they problems with them as well!

Good luck.
WHUFC   COYI

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Loud Clunk Sound Coming from under primary cover
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 01:01:10 AM »

I assume it was the primary oil you drained and had no shavings?  How old was the oil and how murky did it look?
Trippy is right on track about the compensator, and especially the noise on start/stop of the engine.
If the chain tensioner has over-tightened the primary chain, it causes excessive wear on components in the primary.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 24 queries.