Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Compensator opinions?  (Read 1322 times)

LilysBigDaddy

• Full CVO Member
  • Annabelle
    • NC

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited "Annabelle"
    • CVO2: 2008 FXDSE2 Dyna 105th Anniversary "The Beast" 129 HP / 129 Torque
Compensator opinions?
« on: September 05, 2019, 08:44:41 AM »

This  probably has more threads than any other subject and I have reviewed several of the discussions on this site, but it's that time again. For me this is number 3, so I get about 20k out of one, read the stories from you all that are on number 7 or 9 even, I'm aware of the baker and I know there are several other 3rd party manufacturers. Also plan on going to bel ray 80w primary lubricant after this and away from the 20/50, always ran amsoil in this, a 14 limited cvo, but would like to collect on your thoughts, opinions and experiences on this, thanks.
May you have a Great and Godly Day!

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
Re: Compensator opinions?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 05:19:37 AM »

Stock compensator with GMR compensaver combo.  No issues here on two bikes!
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 08:30:10 AM »

I haven't seen reports of any aftermarket offering that's proven to be better over time.  Some have looked good on paper initially, like the Baker, only to have severe reliability issues after some real world use.  And you definitely do not want to try any of the junk being offered that basically eliminates the shock absorbing capability of the stock compensator.  That's a good way to create other more serious (and expensive) failures.

I don't know if GMR is still selling their Compensaver product, but if they are that seems to be the best way to keep the compensator properly lubricated.  There have been a lot of positive reviews for that product, and I don't remember seeing any feedback claiming it didn't significantly extend the life of the stock compensator.  If anyone has a different take please speak up.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 09:38:03 AM »

Unfortunately compensators sort of fall into the same bucket as lifters on the big TC engines meaning they wear out and need periodic replacement.  Getting the old loctite good and cleaned out and using the latest MoCo parts seems to be as good as anything.

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 11:43:42 AM »

I bought one of the first batch of "Compensavers" almost 6 years ago,  have had the primary open a few times since for other reasons, and it looks brand new with no signs of wear.

According to the compensaver website, sales have been suspended, they believe HD have at last come up with a design that helps to get oil to the centre of the comp and the ramps, personally I would still add the compensaver if able to get one.
WHUFC   COYI

LilysBigDaddy

• Full CVO Member
  • Annabelle
    • NC

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 10:24:06 PM »

Thanks to everyone for your replies, so i looked into this GMR compensaver and it is no longer available, very interesting read here, http://www.compensaver.com/  , so looks like 20k miles is the norm for 14 and later on the 42200064A stock compensator revision, Harleys attempt to functional copy the GMR, so mine should have this already? will find out tomorrow. But certainly would never consider eliminating the compensator, that'ed be a fast track to disaster for sure, will share what i end up with, as i know it is a going to be a modification of the stock Harley, just don't know enough about it yet to share, its what my builder has done to all his, try to get some pics as well, thanks again to all for sharing, its what makes this site great, see ya in a few days Pete.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 10:53:42 AM »

Have you seen these? .  I was in the same boat as your self not knowing a lot about it. Got a load of help from the lads on the site.

Doc Harley explains the compensator

LilysBigDaddy

• Full CVO Member
  • Annabelle
    • NC

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 02:56:18 PM »

Yes I did, great at explaining the compensator progression, the thing of this is my 06 flhx 88ci traded at 70k and never had it replaced to a 14 110 getting 20k average and the few years prior to 2014 having to replace comp's almost with every oil change, one site member said he was on his ninth.

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 24 queries.