Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2006 Harley-Davidson FLSTFSE2 Screamin' Eagle Fat Boy -- engine noise  (Read 3028 times)

Lone Wolf

Anyone an idea what this can be???

In the first, second, third and fourth gear I hear some noise in the engine...... in the fifth gear it's gone.....

Thanks Lone Wolf
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 06:13:20 AM by Lone Wolf »

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member

Is this a new bike to you?

Not sure about the 5 speeds, but "if" 1, 2, 3, 4, are straight cut gears, you will hear rattles/whine.  5th gear is probably a helical cut gear which reduces the gear noise.

Others with more transmission experience will probably have an answer. 

I was going to say, "others with more "tranny" experience", but decided that may bring on way too many comments...  :o  :o  :o
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Lone Wolf

Thanks, i just found this......

Think your 6 speed has straight cut gears on 1-5 and helical on 6, maybe 5 also. I bet thats the noise. Its normal. Helical gears are a lot quieter but require thrust bearing which to fit in Harley's case requires them to be thinner and not as strong. That why they are only on the higher gears. The whir you here is the same whir you here when you put most auto cars in reverse. The reverse idler is straight cut for strength. Most Harley owner do not here it because they can not hear a train whistle over their exhaust. Do a search on here on 6 speed. Someone has some good pictures of the late 6 speed gears train pulled out

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

A 2006 Fatboy doesn't come with a Cruise Drive six speed.  They came with the old Harley five speed box, all straight cut (spur) gears, no helical.  The Cruise Drive box came out in 2007 on Softails and Touring, 2006 only on Dyna's.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Lone Wolf

Thnxs Jerry,

Lone Wolf

anyone else have an idea?

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.