Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: HOG membership benefits dwindling  (Read 6757 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: HOG membership benefits dwindling
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 08:28:06 AM »

All the old guys and gals I knew for years at H.O.G. corporate are retired or downsized.  Tours are outsourced.  State rallies eliminated and regional rallies ain't all that special from what I hear.  And no more ABCs of touring which we really enjoyed and enticed many, many local chapter members to participate in.  Great excuse to get out and ride to places you've never been . . . and probably would not want to go back to, lol.

I miss the 'good ole days' but they're gone forever.  Nothing lasts.  Just glad I could enjoy it in its heyday.

I'm a life member,  I have not got my package yet, nor has my wife got her's and she is also a life member.

The book with the maps and dealers, I will not miss as I have never used mine, map is to small for me to use.  My wife always uses hers though.

The Changes to ABC of touring is something neither of us like.  We both did the ABC's of touring when it was states, cities, counties and so on and had lots of fun with it.

We also miss the State Rally's, the regional just don't seem as nice.

We do have a good and active HOG chapter, it has some rides tailored to new or less experienced riders, and then some tailored to experienced riders.  The rides labeled for experienced are lots of fun, if your experienced but if your not, you will not keep up.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2019, 08:33:22 AM »

:)
I don't use printed maps. Have not used one in years.

But I did evolve.  To be a curmudgeon.

:oops:

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 08:59:41 AM »

I guess I must not be evolving either. I still use my cell phone to make and receive voice calls. I turn my lights on and off with a switch on the wall. My garage is to park my vehicles in each day, not store all my junk I think I might need 10 years from now. I drive my vehicles myself, do not want a car driving me around.

Guilty as charged.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2019, 10:21:03 AM »

In a world that touts "One Or The Other", I think there's room for both maps and GPS. I like GPS while moving. But I prefer maps when planning. As a matter of fact a map is ideal when planning the days route over breakfast. Everyone at the table can see the overview and have an idea of the route.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

ultrarider123

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 10:28:27 AM »

When I was a HOG member, the only thing I actually used was the touring handbook.  I have a copy (2015) in the office, one at home (2009) and one in Cochise (2012).  GPS in the truck, car and on the bike.  It's handy but I don't use it on trips...yet.  I like a map in my hands.  It's much easier to draw on the map/handbook in pencil "mapping" the routes than trying to draw on the vehicle screen... :huepfenlol2: Plus as Mark stated, a folding map makes it easier to show everyone at the table the end of day destination and route to achieve it.  I guess that makes me old school, too...nuttin wrong wid dat... ;D

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 11:17:24 AM »

:)

:oops:

8)  S'ok.  Curmudgeons are contrarians.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2019, 12:45:44 PM »

well, as a retired OTR driver, I always keep a road atlas around to look ahead before starting out. just a good sense of direction. I would always keep my new edition of the handbook & pass my old one off to someone who didn't have a membership (brother, friend ,etc). I'll hang on to the 2019 version, it's just convenient & easy to pack on the bike. My point was, that H-D is just taking another benefit from us, the consumer, as they take us for granted (jmho). just as all the other "LITTLE" things. (gold key for CVO , bag liners,bike cover,etc) to some they mean nothing, to others it means a lot. I just feel they keep taking & the stick is getting shorter & shorter. ya keep tuning the banjo string a lil tighter & sooner or later it's gonna break( & ya gotta start all over). enough. just made an observation, that's all. MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

skorch

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE tequila sunrise
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHXSE gunship Gray
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2019, 06:33:37 AM »

received my yearly membership package yesterday, as a lifetime member for about 17 yrs. was disappointed to see that there wasn't a touring handbook with road atlas included. so, I called HOG to inquire about it. was told that they did away with it because so many dealerships were moving & changing that the info would be inaccurate before it reached us, the consumer. another benefit gone. also checked into an "associate lifetime membership for the wife, who has in the past, been a member of lady hogs. it was 300+. WOW. I think I only paid 100-125 for my lifetime.  just a little vent (rant).
I was a member since 1991 and had a blast at a lot of events ,rallies back then and then the people at hog meetings/ events started to become such whiners and political about everything ,especially the newbies. All the state rallies changed to where nothing was provided, lackluster participation and rampant cellphone usage where nobody conversed. I gave up on hog 3 years ago as it seems to be a whole lot of nothing. It needs new leadership,funding from mother harley to survive. My 2 cents.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2019, 07:29:29 AM »

I guess I must not be evolving either. I still use my cell phone to make and receive voice calls. I turn my lights on and off with a switch on the wall. My garage is to park my vehicles in each day, not store all my junk I think I might need 10 years from now. I drive my vehicles myself, do not want a car driving me around.

Guilty as charged.
Cell Phone?...…..I miss my payphone that used to be on the corner :-* :nixweiss:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2019, 07:57:02 AM »

Cell Phone?...…..I miss my payphone that used to be on the corner :-* :nixweiss:

Yep. When I was working I knew the best pay phones in each area I worked.  On cold or rainy days knew where the drive up pay phones were. Used a lot of hotel lobby pay phones & in airports like Atlanta would go gate to gate to find the better pay phones or the less noisy ones.

That evolved into finding the best places for a cell phone signal.  Now most populated areas have decent signals. On the subject of cell phones - HOG still offers an 18% discount on AT&T cell phone service.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2019, 05:22:44 PM »

After running through our 2 complamentry years (16' & 17') of membership even people like us (not being legacy HD people) could not justify the cost relative to benefits, hell we had to ride recently to a rally in Mexico just to see how rallies use to be!
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2019, 05:53:18 PM »

Yep. When I was working I knew the best pay phones in each area I worked.  On cold or rainy days knew where the drive up pay phones were. Used a lot of hotel lobby pay phones & in airports like Atlanta would go gate to gate to find the better pay phones or the less noisy ones.

That evolved into finding the best places for a cell phone signal.  Now most populated areas have decent signals. On the subject of cell phones - HOG still offers an 18% discount on AT&T cell phone service.
One of the few things I like about HOG now... My cellphone discount every month, let’s hope they don’t take that away, it basically pays for my HOG membership per year, like getting it for free and then some...

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2019, 08:47:43 PM »

Glad I read this thread. I forgot about the 18% ATT discount.  But you have to renew it each year with ATT and I haven't done that in two years.  I also enjoy the Touring handbook.  It's easy to see a state at at glance, something I can't do with my phone or my GPS.  It helps when choosing routes through the state.  I have also used the Harley dealer location info many times and don't agree with the "changing locations in the city" reason for stopping it. 
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2019, 09:35:48 PM »

Don't think we Canadians get most of the perks that you do in the US.....but...I am sure we pay more!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
HOG Benefits reduced again
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2020, 03:37:34 PM »

First-Hand news from HOG Office today.

I realize that not all CVO Owners Group members are HOG members, but most likely a good number are, and many are Life members.

My wife & I just received are HOG package with patches and pins for 2020 and a little taken back by another reduction in our benefits... Although we did receive what they call "Harley Owners Group Guide to Riding" (cover shown below), the one thing missing was our annual Harley Tour Book with maps of all 10 Canadian Provinces and all 50 US States, that I'm sure you're all use to receiving as well.

Apparently it was decided last year that 2019 would be the final year for the annual Tour Book.  I realize in this day & age that GPS on your bike and on your phone is extremely popular, but I admit that I am "old school" and enjoy taking my Tour Book along on trips because undoubtedly a local along the way will give me some great advise to change my course so that I do not miss the local "must see" site or adventure.  Therefore I enjoy every night going over my Tour Book to plan my next day's route and I find it much easier to change on the fly by quickly reviewing the paper maps in my Tour Book, and let the road lead me where it will.

I have complained to HOG about this omission of a great riding tool, but unless there are many doing the same, I'm sure your 2019 Tour Book will be the last of them, unfortunately.

Enjoy yourselves on the road and be safe out there.  For us northerners it will be a couple of months before we can hit the road again, but that just gives us more time to plan our trips this year!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 04:37:01 PM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 25 queries.