Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Montana to Maryland  (Read 2000 times)

Tut78

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

Montana to Maryland
« on: June 12, 2018, 08:49:47 PM »

I decided I wanted to replace my ‘06 Ultra Classic with a 2018 CVO Limited in that burgundy cherry sunglo fade color, and a friend of mine, Barry Usher, owns Beartooth Harley Davidson in Billings, Montana, and he was able to do a 3 way swap with a couple of dealers to get one that was being delivered to one of the other dealers.  I flew out to Billings, Montana on May 31, and the next day, closed the deal on the bike and spent the next couple of days at Barry’s house with him and his family, touring Yellowstone National Park and generally taking it easy in Big Sky Country.

I left Billings on June 4 on my way to spend a couple of days with my brother in law in Minneapolis.  Along the way, I spent the night in Deadwood and spent a day in Sturgis, before getting to Minneapolis, where I had the 1,000 mile service done on the bike at Twin Cities HD.  Nice people there, as my buddy had called ahead to that dealership and they were expecting me, and took the bike in the back as soon as I pulled up, and I had it back in about 2 hours, and was on my way to Chicago, were I spent the night, and then pulled out the next day, late, and ended up stopping in Cleveland for the night.  While I was in Cleveland, I got up the next day and went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as it didn’t seem like a place I’d ever make a special trip to, but wanted to stop in since I was in Cleveland anyway.  I was glad I stopped.  I liked seeing it, but it isn’t really a place you’d spend a whole day.  Anyway, I left Cleveland, and decided I was going to ride the rest of the way to southern Maryland in Calvert County.  It was a nice ride, and the weather was great, and I made it home before 9:00 p.m.  When I picked the CVO up, it had 10 miles on it, and when I pulled into my driveway, I had 2,338 miles on it.

The bike was great to ride.  I figured it would have a lot more muscle than my ‘06, but the torque through such a wide range of RPMs was really something compared to the ‘06 I have, which is a stage 4 upgrade, and runs really great.  I was also surprised by how much better the handling and suspension is on the CVO, and when I heard people talk about those kinds of things with the newer bikes, I wasn’t sure it would be something that would jump out at me, but it really did.  The CVO just eats up the miles without missing a beat, either in the engine department or handling and comfort.  It was cold in parts of the trip, and I rode on the first day out of Billings Montana through about 6 hours of steady thunderstorms, and to be honest, I forgot I had heated grips and heated seats, and I was cold.  When I talked to my buddy from Beartooth after that first night, he said, “You know you have heated grips and seats, idiot!”, and I had to admit that I’d forgotten since I didn’t have them on the ‘06, but I didn’t fail to use them from that point on, especially coming through the higher eleveation areas around Pittsburgh, and they made a world of difference, even though I was pissed I didn’t use them in Montana and South Dakota, hahaha!!!

It was a great trip, and I’m glad I rode the bike back to Maryland.  I was debating how I was going to get the bike, thinking I’d drive out and pick it up with my motorcycle trailer, or just have my friend ship it to me, but before I left, I was standing at the deli counter in a supermarket in Maryland when somebody tapped me on the shoulder, and it was my Harley mechanic at home, and he asked me if I had picked up the new bike or not.  I told him I hadn’t, and I was debating how I was going to get it back to Maryland, and he started laughing, and said, “You’ve got to go pick that bitch up and ride it back, hahaha.  You’re a frickin’ rider, I see the miles you put on a bike.  Go get it!”  Anyway, he made my mind up, so I flew out and rode back.  It was a good decision, and I’m glad I didn’t do it any other way.  Oh, and I forgot to mention, I had to get back to Maryland last week to meet with my surgeon because I had my torn rotator cuff operated on yesterday, and I’m out of commission for a spell until that heals up.  I’d have been pissed if the bike had been sitting in my garage without even having broken it in before I had the surgery, lol!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:01:11 PM by Tut78 »

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
Re: Montana to Maryland
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 09:12:35 PM »

dealer in my area has one on showroom floor and i love that color! enjoy and congrats! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Tut78

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 09:22:40 PM »

Thanks.  Yeah, I liked the color a lot too.  When I asked by buddy if he could get one for me, he said he had one in the anniversary colors, but I had decided on this burgundy/cherry color, and was nervous about the whole “bird in the hand...” thing.  Anyway, I’m glad I waited for him to find one.  I’m retiring at the end of this month, and I decided to give MYSELF a retirement gift, lol.  I tell my wife I got it for her though, and after showing her picture after picture of CVO Street Glides, and her saying, “Where am I sitting?”, and not feeling like explaining we could get a tour pack and seat on a Street Glide, I just went ahead and got the Limited.

jhuff

• CVO1: 2011.5 SEBB
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Breakout
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 10:03:15 PM »

Nice story, enjoyed reading it!
Jim

Tut78

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 11:35:43 PM »

Nice story, enjoyed reading it!

Thanks, Jim.  I liked telling it, because I enjoyed it when I was doing it, plus, I’m happy about the new bike, lol.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 01:50:26 AM »

Gorgeous bike.  Can't think of a better first ride seeing friends, family and gorgeous ride scenes.  Congrats and enjoy :drink: .

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 07:16:33 AM »

Great place to start a new ride on a new bike!  Enjoyed your story.  Heal up soon, many happy miles ahead!   :2vrolijk_21:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 08:22:18 AM »

dealer in my area has one on showroom floor and i love that color! enjoy and congrats! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Hu Dat B?  I haven't seen one in person yet....

Tut, enjoyed the story and glad you rode it home.  If you hadn't, this would have always been one of those "dang it, I should'a" stories.  Now it's a tale.... ;D

Congrats on the bike, too.  As I've stated in prior posts, this is the color that I've really wanted to see outside in the sunlight.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:34:29 AM by Haird »

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 26 queries.