Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: installing tach on 09 springer  (Read 19402 times)

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
installing tach on 09 springer
« on: October 10, 2008, 07:38:26 PM »

I learned something new today about the difference between my 08 and 09 cvo springers. For those of you considering installing a tach on the handlebars of your 09, you'll want to know what I learned. I put the same tach on my 09 springer that is standard equipment on my 08 springer. When I took it out for a test ride, the bottom of the tach hit the spring bridge when I went over a bump. I thought that is strange, my 08 never does. I took a closer look and realized the 08 has a different riser stud than the 09 and it's about 1.5 inches taller than the 09. I looked at the parts manuals for both bikes and it appears the riser studs are the only difference so I ordered the 08 riser studs for my 09 (and the riser lock nuts that the supplemental service manual says should not be used again). The riser studs were about $56 each, not cheap. Until they arrive, to stop the tach from hitting the spring bridge, I had to tilt the face of it so far down I can't see it very well. I attached a few pictures here below so you can see what I'm talking about. By the way, on my 09 springer, I installed Black Pearl cables, black banjos and bolts, and Rinehart cross back exhaust, too. I'll post some pictures soon. The first picture below is my 08 cvo springer, stock (except the handle bars and windshield adapter kit installed). The second picture is my CVO 09 springer with the added tach installed but with the stock riser studs. I'll be changing it soon so I can read my tach.

Randall

« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 10:39:33 AM by rheiner »

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
Re: installing tach on 09 springer
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 04:52:51 AM »

thats interesting, thanks for posting the info

the barber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 08:58:54 AM »

Looks great. Sucks you had to buy it, but well worth it.

springer09

• 2nd place is the 1st loser

• CVO1: 09 cvo springer blue
    • CVO2: 08 cvo springer orange
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 06:53:53 PM »

Is that a bugcatcher i see on your bike. Have looked at pics but have not seen any with windshield. Just wondering what that must look like with the apes you put on.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 12:58:01 PM »

Concerning the Rhinehart CB's, did they finally come out with an 09 version because of the wider swingarm or were you able to get the 08 version to fit? Looking forward to pictures. Thanks for sharing!

When it stops snowing here, I'll roll my bike out and take some nicer pictures of my new black cables, windshield I cut to fit the apes (and the windshield docking hardware powder coated in black gloss which is hardly noticable when the windshield isn't on), and exhaust. In the meantime here below are a few pictures of my Rinehart cross backs on my 09 springer. Supposedly, these are pipes not made for this bike, rather for the 08 and earlier softails.

I hated all the backfiring and lack of performance with the stock cross flow exhaust with Rush slip ons. I got totally spoiled with performance and torque with Rinehart cross backs on my 08 and I quit riding my 09. So I went ahead and took a chance and ordered the Rinehart exhaust. I expected more problems than I got. I had to use the thinner Screamin Eagle exhaust gaskets and old style exhaust flanges, but other than that I got the cross backs to fit nicely with no modifications. The clearance from the top oil line is tight but it works. It's only a breather vent line anyway. The oil leaks you see below the bike are not from this bike, but from when I changed the filter recently on another one.

After I put on the exhaust I spent the afternoon with a laptop on my back to collect data while riding to tune the bike with the Mastertune/Datamaster/Vtune programs by TTS. No more backfiring, no cost for a dyno tune and she runs like my 08, lots of power and torque, and yes, it sounds great too.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 07:18:38 PM by rheiner »

JMS

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3 Black and Green
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 03:54:44 PM »

rheiner how do you like the RH exhaust....

What are you using to program the ECM.....

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 06:53:32 PM »

rheiner how do you like the RH exhaust....

What are you using to program the ECM.....

I love the Rinehart cross back exhaust. I use the Mastertune/Datamaster program by TTS to program my ECM. There are a lot of posts about it in the intake/exhaust/ECM heading on this web site.

JMS

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 07:04:40 PM »

I learned something new today about the difference between my 08 and 09 cvo springers. For those of you considering installing a tach on the handlebars of your 09, you'll want to know what I learned. I put the same tach on my 09 springer that is standard equipment on my 08 springer. When I took it out for a test ride, the bottom of the tach hit the spring bridge when I went over a bump. I thought that is strange, my 08 never does. I took a closer look and realized the 08 has a different riser stud than the 09 and it's about 1.5 inches taller than the 09. I looked at the parts manuals for both bikes and it appears the riser studs are the only difference so I ordered the 08 riser studs for my 09 (and the riser lock nuts that the supplemental service manual says should not be used again). The riser studs were about $56 each, not cheap. Until they arrive, to stop the tach from hitting the spring bridge, I had to tilt the face of it so far down I can't see it very well. I attached a few pictures here below so you can see what I'm talking about. By the way, on my 09 springer, I installed Black Pearl cables, black banjos and bolts, and Rinehart cross back exhaust, too. I'll post some pictures soon.

I did you have any problems with cable lenghts when you used the taller risers?

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 05:48:46 PM »

I did you have any problems with cable lenghts when you used the taller risers?

No, because I used the same cable lengths that I used for my 08 springer (same Chubby handle bars) and the 08 has the taller risers from the factory.

JMS

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 07:16:35 PM »

What was the cost of the riser studs and tach/mount

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 10:20:02 AM »

That sucks about the tach not coming as a standard item on the 09's, when I purchased mine in Sept. I noticed the absence of the tach right off the bat, as I was piling on the extras, Detachable bags,race tuner with dyno time,sundowner seat for the long hauls and Vance & Hines Big radius pipes I asked about the tach and was met with more cunfusion than I would of ever thought possible. At first it seemed a simple $ 250.00 extra but spiraled into an hour and a half and $ 500.00 more then the original $ 250.00 anticipated cost!! $ 750.00 was what it was boiling down to and still a lot of confusion from the staff on exactly what it would cost and what parts it would take.  So you kind of did the leg work for me and was curious what you ended up paying and what parts exactly were used, thank you very much and your scoot is looking awesome!!!!  Thanks again !!
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"

kev

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2 2008
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 04:18:57 PM »

Hello Rheiner
Just out of interest was the tacho illuminated in red to match the other gauges, assuming the 09 is still red !

K-Dog

• CVO1: 2009 Softail Springer CVO Black w/emerald green
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 11:39:10 PM »

Hello Rheiner, My name is K-dog and I am new to the site, But what a great site it is. Anyways I just bought a 09' Softail springer just like yours and I am very interested in the Rinehart Cross backs exhaust you installed on your bike. I checked with my local HD dealer (ABC HD) to see about getting the setup you have. The only question is which old style flanges are you talking about having to use. They said the gaskets and download are no problem I just need to know which flanges to get. If you don't mind giving me the info it would be GREATLY appreciated :huepfenjump3:. You can email me at miller309@comcast.net or call  me at 248-830-1346.

Thank you, K-dog

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 11:42:45 PM »

Hello Rheiner, My name is K-dog and I am new to the site, But what a great site it is. Anyways I just bought a 09' Softail springer just like yours and I am very interested in the Rinehart Cross backs exhaust you installed on your bike. I checked with my local HD dealer (ABC HD) to see about getting the setup you have. The only question is which old style flanges are you talking about having to use. They said the gaskets and download are no problem I just need to know which flanges to get. If you don't mind giving me the info it would be GREATLY appreciated :huepfenjump3:. You can email me at miller309@comcast.net or call  me at 248-830-1346.

Thank you, K-dog

Whoa there K-Dog! The dealer's asking YOU what flanges to use on an exhaust system for a HD that they'll sell you and install? Any red flags going up there? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

K-Dog

• CVO1: 2009 Softail Springer CVO Black w/emerald green
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 11:53:39 PM »

It is a 08' set of pipes going on a 09' that it's not supposed to fit. In the post he says he had to use the old style flange which old style flange?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 24 queries.