Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: my 2008 cvo springer! paint problems!  (Read 8406 times)

ed ammon

my 2008 cvo springer! paint problems!
« on: June 29, 2009, 07:08:56 PM »

Has anyone had the rust issue under the paint on the rear fender where the seat bolt goes in? Mine started rusting under the paint and harley sent me a brand new rear fender. Any one else have any paint problems?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: my 2008 cvo springer! paint problems!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 07:15:22 PM »

Ed,
Since your post was a technical question about your bike I moved it to the appropriate board so you can receive some feedback about your question. If you'd like to start another thread in the New Member board to introduce yourself please do so.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 08:49:14 PM »

None so far but I plan to take a good look now. Thanks for the heads up.....Jeff
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 10:09:38 AM »

laissez les bon temps rouler - from Bourbon St, New Orleans!
                                                                       :drink:
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

Durbydog

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 08:58:20 AM »

Hey folks, my 08 Springer SE has 10 rust spots under the paint on one side of the tank.
Am I just being to picky?
Will the rust keep growing under the paint?
Is this something that would be covered by my warranty?

ed ammon

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 03:33:47 PM »

The harley plant sent me a brand new rear fender and installed it for free under warranty. I would be very upset about that rust on the tank, It is just going to keep on spreading untill it rusts a hole in your tank. You have me very worried about my paint job. I would take it to the dealer asap and let me know what they say, My rear fender started rusting under the clear around the rear seat bolt hole.

Durbydog

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 03:55:01 AM »

My local dealer had a tank that was ordered for someone else that didn't pick it up. When we took it out of the box it was rusted in the same spot as my tank. So they ordered me a new tank and it will all be covered under warranty.

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 08:14:39 PM »

Where are you guys with rust storing your bike? I keep mine indoors. One of the reasons I bought my bike was the unbelievable paint work. I can't imagine it rusting thru.

ed ammon

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 05:47:51 AM »

In a nice dry garage on carpet. I have been painting for 23 years and if there was any water on steel before they painted it they sealed in the paint and then it starts rusting on the raw steel. Its a cool paint job but not a very durable one. If you get a rock chip or ding you have to get the smokey clear touch up out quick before it starts to rust. It will rust around the rear bolt  where the seat bolts on if that isnt painted correctly.

Graham UK

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 05:43:06 PM »

Just had my rear fender replaced two days ago. I have had many chrome parts replaced in the last 18 months. In the UK the warranty is just 2 years. So I am thinking of selling next spring as keeping up with the corrosion alone is going to cost me some!
I don't think Harley's are built to last. e.g. my car, I could leave out covered with mud and salt for the next month or six, and all would be fine. If I dared venture out on the Springer in such conditions the thing would turn to dust.
Performance from new was also poor. I have spent some £1,500 on exhaust, air filter and tuner to try and get something out of it, and I am still not happy with the performance. Maybe a Yamaha V Max would out shine the CVO Springer, or maybe a Triumph Rocket 3. If you spend £19.200 on an ultimate Harley ( 2008 CVO Springer Burnt Orange), and then a further £4,000 to get it comfy and get some performance out of it, and still it is not right. Then I think I can conclude that Harley cant make a fast custom bike of substance, or maybe they could if they were not so wrapped up in making money on every turn you take to try and make it what it should be to begin with.
I am very disillusioned with Harley. maybe after my disappointment I will give up motorcycling completely.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 07:41:06 PM »

if you wanted a fast Harley you should have bought a V-rod........ :2vrolijk_21:

I have a friend with an '07 softail custom that only has cams and dyno tune stay right with me as we accelerated full throttle through the gears..
even with the 110 motor, it's not meant to be a "fast" bike.... but it IS "faster" than a stock Harley...............lol
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:43:24 PM by Deuce Bigelow »
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 10:33:35 PM »

Graham UK

Harley makes no claim to be fast. Harley will tell you if you want fast,buy a Jap bike. They are TWICE the HP per CC.  Good Lord, Harley has ancient technology push rod motors. That is what makes them in demand. Kind of like a old school muscle cars can't touch a piss ant turbo modern day Jap car with one third the displacement. Depends on what you want. The Screamin' Eagle is fast relative to a stock Harley. As a die hard 180 hp Jap bike freak,I can tell you that the Screamin Eagle 110 with pipes and a tuner has torque that makes me happy. It's a different kind of power. You have to appreciate both. I do.

ed ammon

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 03:32:30 PM »

God please help me not want to lean over on a jap bike!! You wouldnt catch me dead on anything but a harley.

Graham UK

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 05:39:42 PM »

Your missing the point completely???
1 my CVO Springer was so stifled from new, it was almost impossible to ride. e.g. There was absolutely nothing below 3,500 rpm then the thing would take off.
2 The seat was so uncomfortable that I was begging for mercy after 50 miles.
3 The thing rusts and corrodes like a "Cheap Chinese Copy" in fact had it been made in  China then the chrome may be better. Take a Honda Rune that does not rust and corrode like a CVO Springer.

To be honest, and if you differ then your kidding yourself. The CVO models are not a £19,00 + commodity. They are a flash in the Show Room, then a dissapointment to live with.
 Damn I am going to trade it for a Honda Rune!   
Graham UK

Harley makes no claim to be fast. Harley will tell you if you want fast,buy a Jap bike. They are TWICE the HP per CC.  Good Lord, Harley has ancient technology push rod motors. That is what makes them in demand. Kind of like a old school muscle cars can't touch a piss ant turbo modern day Japr with one third the displacement. Depends on what you want. The Screamin' Eagle is fast relative to a stock Harley. As a die hard 180 hp Jap bike freak,I can tell you that the Screamin Eagle 110 with pipes and a tuner has torque that makes me happy. It's a different kind of power. You have to appreciate both. I do.

ed ammon

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 05:39:48 AM »

go spend another 600 on a corbin seat, Its just like sitting in front of the tv with a good leather chair. You have deep pockets go spend some more we all have. Honda knock off? Please.

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 07:36:11 AM »

Should of done a little research before your purchase Graham, Some bikes have Quirks, some don't. Maybe your new honda will treat you a little better, make sure you research a little better before your next purchase, I'm sure you'll be b__ching  about something on your new honda as well !! Good Luck, you'll need it...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 06:34:48 AM by BMF-110 »
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"

ed ammon

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 06:47:39 PM »

I dont ride hondas! 60 harleys, no hondas.

Graham UK

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 04:19:40 PM »

go spend another 600 on a corbin seat, Its just like sitting in front of the tv with a good leather chair. You have deep pockets go spend some more we all have. Honda knock off? Please.

OK After the paint started coming off the engine, I decided that enough was enough, and with only 3 months left of the measly 24 month warranty I decided to sell the springer. I have gone for a Fat Bob in total contrast it is in black denim. when I take delivery in March. I will remove the remaining chrome parts and have them powder coated in Black. I am having a stage one with black exhausts etc. So hoping for a successful harley.

ed ammon

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 05:14:28 AM »

paint started coming off the rear head on mine near the tag, they touched it up with paint like they were painting a model when we were kids. I told them to take the head off and do it the right way because thats what I have been doing for the past 30 years of my life, and they said no. :worthless: But Im still keeping it regardless of all the problems I have had.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 24 queries.