Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: HELP GUYS PLEASE ?? Gas gauge speedo....  (Read 4941 times)

Byrddogg

• KY

• CVO1: 2013 Road Glide CVO 110th Anniv. 853/900
HELP GUYS PLEASE ?? Gas gauge speedo....
« on: February 16, 2017, 06:12:46 PM »

I have a 2013 CVO R.G. Last year at the end of riding season my gas gause on my speedo started reading wrong. Usually when I fill up the gas tank it reads somewhere around 260-270 miles till empty, now its like 200-215, but my tank dot gause is still working fine. My dealer (Waterkotte in Mt.Vernon, Illinois) said it was prolly the float stuck in gas tank. So I took it over their last wkend. They changed float, I left when I stopped by gas station and filled it up, it was still wrong. So I took it back to them and left it. I called them today and they said they don't have a clue, they called H.D. and they told them to change float and other than that THEY didn't know either. So if anyone here has had the same problem or anything like that or any info PLEASE fill free to respond and help a guy out.  THANKS !!!

ANY DAY is a Good Day to RIDE

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
Re: HELP GUYS PLEASE ?? Gas gauge speedo....
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 06:23:16 PM »

Are you talking about the odometer readout where you can press the trip button and cycle through to see miles remaining?
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

Byrddogg

• KY

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 06:36:30 PM »

Yes

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 06:50:26 PM »

How does your actual current fuel mileage compare to your previous fuel mileage when you were showing 260-270 remaining?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 06:58:14 PM by cvosjoe »
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

Byrddogg

• KY

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 07:03:51 PM »

The miles is still the same. I've been just going by the dots on tank, but when the speedo gas shows low the low light on speedo comes on.

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 07:25:53 PM »

The remaining value is calculated based on previous and current fuel economy. I know on mine if I run around 50 to 60 for a tank when I fill up it will show 320+ remaining. If I then hit the interstate and run around 90 for about 40 miles or so it'll drop down to around 240 or so remaining. If I run through the tank booking it on the interstate when I fill it up it'll show around 250 remaining. Since your actual fuel mileage is the same in your before and after issue that is strange. I  have not seen any posts with your issue.
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

Byrddogg

• KY

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 01:41:13 PM »

Hey guys need y'alls help.... anybody got any more info.....

Ok I'll give you the run down...
The gauge on the tank works fine.( 7 led dots )  The speedo gauge that tells you miles till empty is slightly off. About a gallon or so, usually around 40+- miles. They replaced the float and it is still the same. 

Any info will be greatly appreciated !

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 03:47:32 PM »

The trip meter thing will never be accurate. I have the same bike and mine does the same thing and it always leaves a bit in the tank like a reserve. But, like cvosjoe said it just guesses and if your last 50 miles were 50mpg, thats what it will guess at.

I also never ever trust the fuel guages on a Harley. Not the odo miles reading and not the dots on the cap either.

Byrddogg

• KY

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 12:21:15 PM »

What I don't understand is, I bought the bike in 2014 "new"  and it has work for for 30, XXX miles and now it has decided to screw up. You wouldn't spend $3X, XXX on a car or truck and when the same thing happens just "SETTLE" with it. No, you would take it to the dealer and they would fix it...........just FURIOUS sorry........

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 12:56:17 PM »

Are you talking about the odometer readout where you can press the trip button and cycle through to see miles remaining?

Yes

The remaining value is calculated based on previous and current fuel economy.

The remaining miles is not a fixed number based on fuel remaining. As posted already it is a calculated value. With 1 gallon left travelling at 50 MPH or 1 gallon left at 100 MPH will net you two different numbers.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Byrddogg

• KY

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 01:21:34 PM »

OK, usually every time (3 yrs, 30,000 miles worth) I fill my tank up it shows around 250-265 mpg left till empty. Now it ony show 200-220. Like it's a gallon short.  They replaced the float. So something else is causing this glitch. I know how the calculation is supposed to work, but it is not working.
I was just asking if anyone here has had the same issue and what they found to be the cause.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 01:35:39 PM »

OK, usually every time (3 yrs, 30,000 miles worth) I fill my tank up it shows around 250-265 mpg left till empty. Now it ony show 200-220. Like it's a gallon short.  They replaced the float. So something else is causing this glitch. I know how the calculation is supposed to work, but it is not working.
I was just asking if anyone here has had the same issue and what they found to be the cause.

I disagree. That simply means you ran the bike harder the last tank of fuel. You used more fuel resulting in less MPG and that is what the bike is showing you. How many years and miles has nothing to do with it. It is a simple calculation based on usage. The bike was run harder, it idled longer etc. resulting in a lower average MPG. Get out and run the bike as you usually do and the MPG potentially could come back up. Hand calculate the mileage to double check the bikes calculations.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 02:57:52 PM »

I wonder if you pulled the Main Fuse and disconnected the battery for a few minutes if that might reset the Computers calculation tables?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 04:46:06 PM »

You need to start with the basics.  When your actual fuel gauge drops to the last dot, if you pull over and fill the tank how much does it take and thus how much fuel was actually left in the tank.  You'll need to read your manual for a definition of what one dot on the gauge means to determine how much fuel, if any, should be remaining when it shows one dot.  I don't know that figure off the top of my head.  Once you know how much fuel is actually remaining in the tank when the gauge drops from two to one dot, you have information you can use to check the "miles to empty" reading.  Let's say the tank holds exactly six gallons when full, and there is one gallon when the gauge goes to one dot.  As soon as the gauge drops to one dot, check the miles to empty readout.  Let's say it shows forty miles to empty.  If your bike has been averaging forty miles per gallon, and you have one gallon remaining, I'd say the MTE readout is pretty damned accurate.  Btw, usually those things are set to be slightly pessimistic, to allow for a small reserve when people try to push it too far.

Until you know exactly how much fuel is actually remaining in the tank, what your mileage is, and compare that to the MTE readout, you're shooting blanks.  A decent shop could easily figure this out, but unfortunately most Harley shops seem to know diddly about the fuel gauges or the MTE and they just blow people off.  The same technology is very accurate on automobiles these days, so just because it's a Harley doesn't mean it's OK for the dealer or the manufacturer to blow you off.  Ignorance and laziness aren't acceptable excuses.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 04:59:13 PM »

I watch the dots on the tank. They are the most accurate. When the gauge reads empty on the dial I still have 2 dots. When I fill up with 2 dots I use 5 gals.  This has been true from day one. HD said they would look at it but I just use the dots.  Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 25 queries.