Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New deck, or what?  (Read 1103 times)

JamesT

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

New deck, or what?
« on: February 22, 2017, 01:49:59 PM »

I had my mechanic/installer remove the factory amp (and wiring) and install a new Rockford Fosgate amp in the fairing along with new RF speakers. All is great, right? Well the stock HK deck signal is so nasty that above 50% volume it shuts down the system (yes, I checked with RF and this is an issue with the stock deck).
I wanted to keep the HK deck because of all the features, i.e. CB, XM, Weather, Intercom, ... .
I sort of have myself in a spot now.
Are there any decks that give you most of the 'stock features' while being "cleaner" sounding and working with the bar controls?

TIA
--James
2009 CUSE4

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
Re: New deck, or what?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 02:56:04 PM »

If your installer was not a dealer or someone with experience on the OE HK System then you might want to take to a dealer or someone that specializes.     
If they spliced into Speaker Level Outs and the Amp is expecting Low Level Outs then that could be creating the issue.

It also may be that your system just needs Flashed to work with the AM Amp.   Try contacting
http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/additional-services.html

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 04:42:44 PM »

The handle bar controls will work with just about any head unit, you just gotta buy the steering wheel control adapter made by Scoshe runs about $60.  Stock head units are junk; get you a good head unit with the adapter and enjoy all the functions and current technology.  A lot of folks send their stock stuff to iron cross and I can appreciate the benefits of doing that but to me that's like putting Corvette seats in a mini-van.  Don't forget to get a splash guard from Biketronics.

JamesT

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 05:55:43 PM »

If your installer was not a dealer or someone with experience on the OE HK System then you might want to take to a dealer or someone that specializes.     
If they spliced into Speaker Level Outs and the Amp is expecting Low Level Outs then that could be creating the issue.

It also may be that your system just needs Flashed to work with the AM Amp.   Try contacting
http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/additional-services.html

Since the 2009 CU CVO came with a stock amp, I would assume that the installer hooked up to where the stock amp was hooked up. Plus, the installer bought/installed a HD wiring kit that came from RF. That being said, and like I said before, I contacted Rockford Fosgate and they acknowledge there is an issue with the stock HK units, because the sound quality is so bad.
But thanks.
--James
2009 CUSE4

JamesT

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 06:00:43 PM »

The handle bar controls will work with just about any head unit, you just gotta buy the steering wheel control adapter made by Scoshe runs about $60.  Stock head units are junk; get you a good head unit with the adapter and enjoy all the functions and current technology.  A lot of folks send their stock stuff to iron cross and I can appreciate the benefits of doing that but to me that's like putting Corvette seats in a mini-van.  Don't forget to get a splash guard from Biketronics.

I might have to buy a new one; I just hate loosing some of the features. From my searches; I can find nothing that has the intercom/CB, which is probably the only thing I would miss.

Thanks.
--James
2009 CUSE4

Glenncarp

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 06:42:51 PM »

Since the 2009 CU CVO came with a stock amp, I would assume that the installer hooked up to where the stock amp was hooked up. Plus, the installer bought/installed a HD wiring kit that came from RF. That being said, and like I said before, I contacted Rockford Fosgate and they acknowledge there is an issue with the stock HK units, because the sound quality is so bad.
But thanks.

Like stated before, and I have posted here too, send the HK head unit to IKron Cross and let them install RCA pre amp plugs to the rear of the unit, that way the Amp plugs direclty into the HK unit. If you have doubts/questions, call them, the owner is very friendly and knowledgeable. I contemplated it years ago but traded HK for Sony head unit, I regret ever taking out the HK

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 08:10:20 PM »

Get in touch with 808 Cycles (owner is a member on this site: CSGohn), he has an 09 CVO RG (orange and black) and he did a killer system on his but looks completely stock he even put the CVO bag lids on; painted to match perfectly.  He installed a new system on my bike as well as all my friends' and we are all JAMMIN! He really knows his stuff and loves to talk shop.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 01:33:57 AM »

the only thing i really NEED is for my wife to be able to talk to me - if the music/sound completely quit i need her to be able to talk to me

all the aftermarket stuff wont do that - and thats the problem - ya hk is poor sound & flaky - but if no intercom - no dice no way.

my wife takes care of the money - and if she is not happy nobody is going to be happy - so the hk has to stay .....

Glenncarp

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 08:47:11 AM »

the only thing i really NEED is for my wife to be able to talk to me - if the music/sound completely quit i need her to be able to talk to me

all the aftermarket stuff wont do that - and thats the problem - ya hk is poor sound & flaky - but if no intercom - no dice no way.

my wife takes care of the money - and if she is not happy nobody is going to be happy - so the hk has to stay .....

If that is the only reason, why not Bluetooth helmet intercoms? There are plenty out there and all do a great job for just what you need.

JamesT

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 11:59:49 AM »

Like stated before, and I have posted here too, send the HK head unit to IKron Cross and let them install RCA pre amp plugs to the rear of the unit, that way the Amp plugs direclty into the HK unit. If you have doubts/questions, call them, the owner is very friendly and knowledgeable. I contemplated it years ago but traded HK for Sony head unit, I regret ever taking out the HK

That could work.
I didn't see this option on their web site.
Thanks.
--James
2009 CUSE4

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 12:13:17 PM »

Send your stock head unit to Iron Cross Audio for the preamp outs Great Sound!
I also had Iron Cross audio install pair Bluetooth module, certainly adds flexibility...
A Motorcycle "sound guy" once told me that the RF amps could have issues... I did not pay that much attention since I was using another brand...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

JamesT

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 02:06:14 PM »

<Before I say anything, I need to be careful I don't get sued.>

I talked to the guys at Iron Cross, what a huge help.
<treading lightly here...>
It is not the HK unit and, according to IC, the pre-amp RF outs will not help, in my case.

Now to figure out how to solve the "real issue".

I sincerely appreciate all the help. If I can figure out a way to say what I need to without getting sued, I will say it.
--James
2009 CUSE4

Glenncarp

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 02:23:04 PM »

<Before I say anything, I need to be careful I don't get sued.>

I talked to the guys at Iron Cross, what a huge help.
<treading lightly here...>
It is not the HK unit and, according to IC, the pre-amp RF outs will not help, in my case.

Now to figure out how to solve the "real issue".

I sincerely appreciate all the help. If I can figure out a way to say what I need to without getting sued, I will say it.

Cant figure out who would sue you for relating an issue with your property on a public form.

Harley Davidson has gone down in quality for years and years. They continually raise prices and provide less of a product. They roll out new items that are not fully tested and do not work without two and three upgrades. Their service departments for the most part are filled with monkeys who spin wrenches, not motorcycle mechanics.

Yet we still buy and love their products....Let the law suites on me begin!!!! lol

You can say whatever you want here, even if it defames someone or something, the proof would be on them that you acted maliciously. Cant see that being the case on a chitty radio not operating correctly.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 02:46:38 PM »

Cant figure out who would sue you for relating an issue with your property on a public form.

Harley Davidson has gone down in quality for years and years. They continually raise prices and provide less of a product. They roll out new items that are not fully tested and do not work without two and three upgrades. Their service departments for the most part are filled with monkeys who spin wrenches, not motorcycle mechanics.

Yet we still buy and love their products....Let the law suites on me begin!!!! lol

You can say whatever you want here, even if it defames someone or something, the proof would be on them that you acted maliciously. Cant see that being the case on a chitty radio not operating correctly.

Read between the lines and I'd guess he is saying the problem is either the RF amp or the guy he had do the work.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Glenncarp

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 03:10:16 PM »

Read between the lines and I'd guess he is saying the problem is either the RF amp or the guy he had do the work.

Jerry

Yeah, i did note that,  but so what? if the guy did bad work, then call him out on it, and I say do it here so no one else gets shafted!

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 22 queries.